Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetsuit advice

Options
  • 30-06-2008 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hey, I want to get new wetsuits for myself and my bf. I've no idea what I'm looking for. We're both new to surfing but I want something that'll do all year round. Any advice? Also, how much would a good wetsuit normally set you back. I've been looking at some prices but have no idea if they're good value or not. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Masta Chief

Hi there...5mm all the way ( will do u for winter and summer ) as for prices , prob pick one up for circa €170

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Yep agreed with the 5 mm suits. You'll definitely need one for the winter and to be honest you wont exactly be sweltering in one in the summer either (especially if you plan on spending a long time in the water). They are a bit more restrictive because of the extra thickness but you get used to it.

I think it was an Alder stealth that was my intro wetsuit ? Not bad, pretty cheap (Around 180 I think ?) and I got a reasonable amount of time out of it.

Dont be embarrassed to ask to try on a host of suits in the shop to make sure your size is correct. Its seriously important to get a good fitting comfortable suit.

+1 c ..also , the snugger the fit the better , so SQUEEZE in LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

Cool. Thanks guys. I was in a surf shop yesterday but didn't have much time so didn't try any on. Just spoke really briefly to one of the sales guys who was trying to sell me one for about 320 euro. Thought that was fairly expensive. As I say, I was in a bit of a rush so didn't ask too many questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Its not that expensive really, depending on the type of wetsuit he was trying to sell you of course, but maybe a bit expensive for you to be shelling out in the beginning, agreed.

Take a day you have some time and go to a few different places to get the price differences and see if you can blag a bit of extra gear if two of you are buying (I got a hood thrown in with mine).

Also remember that sizes can vary across brands - If you know your size in an O' Neills for example it might be different for a ripcurl suit so make sure you take himself with you and that everything measures up ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Nothing more uncomfortable than trying on 2 or 3 wetsuits in a shop - talk about a sweat fest.

Just thought I'd share that...

nothing more YOU have to do to ensure you get the right one !!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

One thing though - one good piece of advice I got starting out - when you're starting off it's probably best getting something middle of the road. Obviously don't go nuts and blow too much, but at the same time if you can try to get something half decent. If you're going to be in the water for a while and struggling to catch waves and maybe getting frustrated with that, you don't want to be getting cranky cos you're feeling the cold too and take a turn against it and never go back...

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Another small detail that makes a big difference is taped seams - don't get wet without them! Unless you enjoy feeling icy water slowly seeping into your suit along every stitch!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

try on a few suits to get your size and get on to ebay .i got an oneills epic 5/3 and an oneills heat 5/3 for the wife for 220 euros inc p and p fom england both were perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Picked up one in Aldi for less than a hundred still going well a couple of years later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 mwarrior

Got a lidl 3mm a few years ago - great suit for a starter when your not sure how much you'll use it! When you know you've got to the stage you'll be out in winter or whatever weather its worth investing in something a bit more cosy! Got a 5/3/2 in surf shop in Tramore (cant remember which shop - just went in for a look & ended up buying). Its a Tiki i think and the lady threw in choice of booties/gloves aswell! Didn't break the bank + is perfect for surfing. Warm enough for winter - taped seams like already recommended + plenty of manouverability with the lighter weights on elbows / knees!!! highly recommend:-) good luck with the hunt!

Advertisement