Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Xavi Hernandez Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

pffft

Micheal Carrick beats them all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Hes good alright, but hes no Alonso.

thread closed.
    Again Ill second that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Jesus Xavi had no idea you liked him :D. For me Alonso gets the nod.

I don't suppose you were watching El Clasico, or indeed have seen any match involving Barca or Madrid this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

As a Man U fan all I can say is that Xavi is world class nobody matches what he can in his position the man has it all

The man is genius. He joy to watch. Lets just sit back and admire.

O I only wish Carrick could only do half the things:(

carlop wrote: »
    I don't suppose you were watching El Clasico, or indeed have seen any match involving Barca or Madrid this season?
    Sorry stranger but dont think we have met. Check the Arsenal Barca match thread. Course i have ****ing seen the Barca.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Headshot wrote: »
    pffft

Micheal Carrick beats them all
    Have to agree with Headshot!

Carrick has been vital for the opposition in helping them to score this season!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Jesus Xavi had no idea you liked him :D. For me Alonso gets the nod.

Jesus i'm a liverpool fan and a huge fan of Alonso but Xavi is a different level altogether, it's not even close to be fair...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Sorry stranger but dont think we have met. Check the Arsenal Barca match thread. Course i have ****ing seen the Barca.

Lol I don't think we have met. I don't understand how anyone who has seen Barca and Madrid play this season can choose Xabi over Xavi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Lol I don't think we have met. I don't understand how anyone who has seen Barca and Madrid play this season can choose Xabi over Xavi.

A mild case of Dyslexia is the only thing that could explain it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

I think he was joking. You are joking aren't you SOS??:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Xavi>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Xabi Alonso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just when you think this place can't get any more ridiculous.

I still prefer Alonso. Not saying he is better but as a pool fan am going to let my bias get the better of me once more. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I still prefer Alonso. Not saying he is better but as a pool fan am going to let my bias get the better of me once more. :D

fair enough.

i 'prefer' Benayoun to Ronaldo.

i know who i'd want in my team first though.

if someone came in claiming to 'prefer' Carrick to Alonso, i'd love to see your reaction.

*thread needs more facepalm pictures*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

SlickRic wrote: »
    fair enough.

i 'prefer' Benayoun to Ronaldo.

i know who i'd want in my team first though.

if someone came in claiming to 'prefer' Carrick to Alonso, i'd love to see your reaction.

Have you not heard the Carrick defenders though? He's won medals!:P

Ush1 wrote: »
    Have you not heard the Carrick defenders though? He's won medals!:P
    You cant argue against logic like that can you ;)

either way, Xavi is king.

he won last year's Champions League final, not Messi. well, him and little Andrés.

actually, the 3 of them, but you know what I'm getting at ;)

he won El Classico on Saturday.

magic.

the Xavi-Messi axis is utter perfection. i've rarely seen two players so in tune with each other.

either way, Xavi is king.

he won last year's Champions League final, not Messi. well, him and little Andrés.

actually, the 3 of them, but you know what I'm getting at ;)

he won El Classico on Saturday.

magic.

the Xavi-Messi axis is utter perfection. i've rarely seen two players so in tune with each other.
    Will be interesting to see how the Special one deals with them. Promises to be an intriguing affair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Osu wrote: »
    Xavi>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Xabi Alonso

If i had a choice of any player in the world it would be Xavi6 Xavi.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

probably the best midfielder in the past 10 years. a joy to watch

Will be interesting to see how the Special one deals with them. Promises to be an intriguing affair.

i predict the biggest anti-climax ever.

cake walk for Barca, especially at Camp Nou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I agree but i think Inter will get a result at the San siro, no better man then Mourinho and also Javier Zanetti up against Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Xavi, like Puyol seems to be getting better with age. He is the classiest midfielder in the game and hardly ever places a poor pass. His pass accuracy is mental - it must be close to 90% every game. He must have the best pass accuracy rating in the history of the game. The trio of Iniesta, Xavi and Messi are magical.

Brazil are my main fancy for the WC but Xavi is playing so well, he is nearly forcing me to back Spain as cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Vanbis wrote: »
    I agree but i think Inter will get a result at the San siro, no better man then Mourinho and also Javier Zanetti up against Messi.

No amount of tactics will stop Barca getting through. Inter will get blasted off the park like everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Warper wrote: »
    Xavi, like Puyol seems to be getting better with age. He is the classiest midfielder in the game and hardly ever places a poor pass. His pass accuracy is mental - it must be close to 90% every game. He must have the best pass accuracy rating in the history of the game. The trio of Iniesta, Xavi and Messi are magical.
    Brazil are my main fancy for the WC but Xavi is playing so well, he is nearly forcing me to back Spain as cover.

1000% agree. Three magical players. When they are on form, I just sit back and..... Pity there's no drool "smiley" on this site!

Always curious to know how the likes of Xavi and Messi would fare on a liverpool team. Any ideas where Rafa (being Rafa) would play them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Always curious to know how the likes of Xavi and Messi would fare on a liverpool team. Any ideas where Rafa (being Rafa) would play them?

Liverpool thread
    >

Either that or your dreams

the bench.

i predict the biggest anti-climax ever.

Pep mentioned the two group games were very tough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Warper wrote: »

Torres, Villa, Silva, Mata, Iniesta, Xavi, Fabregas..what an attacking selection.
    homer-drool.gif

I bet none of them ever nutmegged Figo though.:cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Pep mentioned the two group games were very tough.

He also said Madrid were the second best club in the world..

The second group game minus Messi and Ibrahimovic was men v boys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It'll be like Chelsea vs Barcelona in 2009. Inter will have Iniesta and Xavi in shackles in CM, without them Messi will get no space and fade like he did vs Chelsea last year.You can't outplay Barca with total football so Inter will just play the counter attack. Barcelona are overrated, there I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Lukker- wrote: »
    It'll be like Chelsea vs Barcelona in 2009. Inter will have Iniesta and Xavi in shackles in CM, without them Messi will get no space and fade like he did vs Chelsea last year.You can't outplay Barca with total football so Inter will just play the counter attack. Barcelona are overrated, there I said it.

You're either insane or haven't seen a lot of Barcelona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

What did you guys think of Fernando Redondo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

What did you guys think of Fernando Redondo?

There aren't enough superlatives in any language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

RichTea wrote: »
    You're either insane or haven't seen a lot of Barcelona.

I've seen plenty of them, tbh I think a team with a half decent defence will fare much better than Arsenal did. If Real were were clinical in front of goal at the weekend they easily could have had 3 goals, Barca took their chances that was the only difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

baz2009 wrote: »
    Torres, Villa, Silva, Mata, Iniesta, Xavi, Fabregas..what an attacking selection.

How can you leave Jesus Navas out of this list:eek::eek:. Could be the most exciting young player in the world cup.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

kinaldo wrote: »
    There aren't enough superlatives in any language.

There is this though

Him and Jose Bakero were my favourite La Liga players of the mid-nineties..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

Rekop dog wrote: »
    How can you leave Jesus Navas out of this list:eek::eek:. Could be the most exciting young player in the world cup.

Without actually going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the midfields fare in this fixture, as Wesley Sneijder has put in some incredible performances over the last few rounds.

Without actually going?

??
    His injury isn't too bad, expected back in May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

??
    His injury isn't too bad, expected back in May

Is someone with chronic homesickness going to go to South Africa for a month?

JPA wrote: »
    Is someone with chronic homesickness going to go to South Africa for a month?

He's come out recently and said this isn't a problem anymore. He's 100% going to be in the squad if not starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

He's come out recently and said this isn't a problem anymore. He's 100% going to be in the squad if not starting.

Did not know this. Did he get the horse placenta treatment?

Will he be able to displace Silva or Iniesta though?

Will he be able to displace Silva or Iniesta though?

He went Navas, Xavi, alonso, Fabragas and Silva with Villa up front in the warm up game against France. Iniesta was injured though, I'd say Fabragas would be the most likely to make way for him. I think he's sticking to 4-5-1 as well so Torres will have to make do with the bench. If only we could have such ‘problems':pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

They play 4-3-3 so it won't be up to Navas to replace Iniesta (who plays CM), he'll have to get in ahead of the likes of Mata, Cazorla etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

You can't outplay Barca with total football so Inter will just play the counter attack. Barcelona are overrated, there I said it.

Yes Eamonn, they are. Sure Pique was a Man U reject.
    Without actually going?

As mentioned above, he is over that condition for all intents and purposes. Which is a great thing, as he is, for me, the best right winger in Spain at the moment. I think he will be first choice in the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

I've seen plenty of them, tbh I think a team with a half decent defence will fare much better than Arsenal did. If Real were were clinical in front of goal at the weekend they easily could have had 3 goals, Barca took their chances that was the only difference.

Define a team with a much better defence - United? Inter?
    Barcelona were cantering in that match. They had so much more to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

So how do people rate Xavi's world cup?

Advertisement