Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Xavi Hernandez Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Lately I've been curious about Xavi and I've certainly learned a lot about him through Boards. Just wondering if anyone has any detailed stats on Xavi? Be interesting to see how many assists and that he's had. Just curious. Some videos I've seen of him, his passes are superb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Just wondering if anyone has any detailed stats on Xavi? Be interesting to see how many assists and that he's had. Just curious. Some videos I've seen of him, his passes are superb.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/12907/xavi-hernandez-creus?cc=5739

Cheers. I had a look at that link but never thought to check the other heading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Xavi's birthday during the week so I guess it's an apt time to put this up :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

My cousin husband is good friends with Xavi (From Barca, played with youths)

Actually had the pleasure of meeting the man last week. Really nice guy.

Was just nice to meet a legend.

As United fan I would love have him at club. Just an awesome player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

A real class act

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Xavi's birthday during the week so I guess it's an apt time to put this up :P

Truly astonishing passing throughout most of that. The two R Madrid assists between 1:00 - 1:30 are incredible. The profile of some of those matches too convey just how good a player he is. CL final and Euro Champs final to name just two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

tumblr_lbzlgzU9kP1qdqyqz.gif

This one is even better :P
    Subscribe to that guy too he has some very good videos :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,904 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Superb interview by Sid Lowe with the little genius himself -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/11/xavi-barcelona-spain-interview?CMP=twt_gu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Read that this morning great interview. What he says about Terry and Carragher is spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I had just posted it in the Barca thread :)

Excellent interview - his enthusiam is unreal - i'm actually buzzing from it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,904 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

And if you feel like a laugh, the Mail also have an interview. The laugh isn't the actual article itself, but the bit of backtracking at the bottom that's two years late.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1355726/Xavi-interview-Paul-Scholes-best-midfielder-20-years.html

Space, space, space. It's like being on the PlayStation. I think ****, the defender's here, play it there. I see the space and pass. That's what I do.
    Is Paul Scholes the English Xavi?

[Xavi interrupts, almost bursting with enthusiasm] Paul Scholes! A role model. For me – and I really mean this – he's the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years. I've spoken to Xabi Alonso about him. He's spectacular, he has it all: the last pass, goals, he's strong, he doesn't lose the ball, vision. If he'd been Spanish he might have been rated more highly. Players love him.
    In England, footballers are respected more, the game is more noble, there's less cheating

That was a great interview, I love the above parts - he's so knowledgeable about football outside of Spain, nice to see who he admires and is a fun person to be around I bet. Genuine guy, not afraid to speak his mind! Fast becoming one of my favourite players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Can someone post up the dalyfail interview. We block the word mail on our proxy server.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

iregk wrote: »
    Can someone post up the dalyfail interview. We block the word mail on our proxy server.

Xavi: Paul Scholes is the best midfield player of the last 20 years... He would have been valued more if he was Spanish

By Pete Jenson
    Reports from Barcelona
    Last updated at 10:14 AM on 11th February 2011

The Game in Spain...

Read Pete Jenson's weekly Spanish football column right here

Xavi Hernandez had given a man-of-the-match performance against Germany, and Spain were two minutes from reaching the World Cup final when the referee in last year’s semi-final asked him if he could have his shirt after the game. ‘If you blow the whistle a minute early, it’s yours,’ he replied.

On the verge of reaching the pinnacle of his career, the final where he would complete his full house of major honours, the sorcerer supreme of Barcelona and Spain’s magical midfields, the most unassuming of world beaters, still wasn’t taking things too seriously.

Listening to him talk about his English football heroes ahead of next week’s visit to London, it’s obvious the sport he loves and demystifies so eloquently is still, first and foremost, just a game to him — one which he and his pals just happen to play better than anybody else in the world.

article-1355726-0CF07973000005DC-839_634x369.jpg Pass master: Xavi at Barcelona's ground (above), challenging Paul Scholes in the Champions League semi-final in 2008 (below, left) and kissing the World Cup

article-1355726-0D1F467B000005DC-515_306x423.jpg
    article-1355726-0D1C247E000005DC-657_306x423.jpg

His face lights up first when he is told the story of Wayne Rooney getting up from his couch to give Barca a one-man standing ovation in his living room as he watched them beat Real Madrid 5-0 last November, and then when he reels off the names of his current Premier League favourites.

‘Rooney, Scholes, Cesc (Fabregas), Nasri and Giggs,’ he says, adding: ‘I was also a big fan of John Barnes, Chris Waddle and Matt Le Tissier. And although it is a different style, I liked the Paul Ince and Roy Keane partnership Manchester United had. They would have been my team had I moved to England.’
    Paul Scholes receives special praise: ‘In the last 15 to 20 years the best central midfielder that I have seen — the most complete — is Scholes. I have spoken with Xabi Alonso about this many times. Scholes is a spectacular player who has everything.

THE GAMES... THE GOALS...
    THE GLORY...

Full name: Xavier Hernandez i Creus.
    Position: Midfielder.
    Club: Barcelona (Debut: 1998;
    557 appearances; 56 goals).
    Club Honours: 5 x La Liga (1999, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010); Copa Del Rey (2009);
    2 x Champions League (2006, 2009); European Super Cup (’09); FIFA Club World Cup (’09).
    National Honours: Euro 2008; World Cup 2010.
    Personal Honours: 2 x Ballon d’Or 3rd place (09, 10); Euro 2008 Player of the Tournament.

‘He can play the final pass, he can score, he is strong, he never gets knocked off the ball and he doesn’t give possession away. If he had been Spanish then maybe he would have been valued more.’

Xavi won the World Cup aged 30, one year older than Scholes when he retired from international football feeling undervalued by the then England coach Sven Goran Eriksson.
    So why is the pass master, so revered in Spain, often discarded in England? For Xavi it starts in the stands with the difference between English and Spanish football culture.
    ‘You are a nation of warriors,’ he says. ‘If I go to Liverpool’s ground and someone puts the ball into the area and Carragher hammers it out of play then the fans applaud. In the Nou Camp you would never be applauded for that.

‘It’s a different culture that values different things. Here if they see you are afraid when you are in possession then you get whistled. It’s the world in reverse.

‘I do see it changing slightly. Before, the typical No 9 in England was a Crouch or a Heskey and it was a long ball from the back from a Terry or a Carragher and nothing in between.’

So a shift in emphasis is needed but it shouldn’t come completely at the expense of the traditional uncompromising English centre half, says Xavi.

‘I don’t want to be misunderstood. I have huge admiration for both Terry and Carragher. We have (Carles) Puyol here. Technically he is not the best player in the squad but he is a great defender. Players like Terry and Carragher are very necessary but they have to adapt to the team as opposed to the team adapting to them. In some ways what these players do has even more merit because to me it comes naturally.

article-1355726-0A5C01E0000005DC-820_634x456.jpg Warrior breed: Carles Puyol is congratulated by Xavi after his match-winning header in the World Cup semi-final win against Germany

‘For Iniesta, Messi and Rooney it comes naturally, but for them it is much more difficult to lift the head and play a pass. But they should have to adapt to the more technically gifted players, not the other way around.’

A ‘skill -over- strength’ revolution is mooted every time England fail at a World Cup, but Xavi says a radical overhaul of values would mean nothing unless it started at kids’ level.

‘You have to find the players who have the technical ability right from the off as Barcelona do,’ he says.

‘Other teams look for young players who are tall, big and strong. There are teams here in Catalunya who at the under 10s level will beat Barca’s under 10s.

‘But from that Barca under 10s team you will end up getting three footballers and from the under 10s of the other team not even one will make it. They are already thinking about winning instead of unearthing the technically gifted players which is Barcelona’s priority.

‘You spot a youngster who can lift his head and play a first-time pass and you think, “He’s worth something, let’s have him come and train with us”.’

article-1355726-0031DF4700000258-264_634x429.jpg Youth product: Xavi (right) progressed through the ranks at Barcelona before making his debut in the 2000-01 season

The fact that the Barca philosophy is drilled into players before they are even teenagers is what then gives Barcelona the edge over other sides who attempt to play the same way.

‘Watching Arsenal is almost like watching Barca. Everything goes through Cesc and Nasri,’ says Xavi.

‘But the difference is that at Arsenal each player is a product of whatever youth system he came through. Here we have players who have been at the club for 10 or 12 years and that is the difference — everything comes automatically.

ON THE ENGLISH WAY
    'You are a nation of warriors. Carragher and Terry are your equal to Carles Puyol'

ON THE BARCELONA WAY

'From the age of 10, they make you think of the shame of losing the ball'

ON BEATING REAL 5-0
    'They hardly touched the ball, and we stood in the dressing room clapping ourselves for a minute'

‘Here they make you think from day one. The first thing you do when you join this club is rondo (the passing drill with one player trying to win the ball back and three or four players passing one-touch between themselves). It’s think, think, think, and it teaches you the responsibility of keeping the ball and the shame of losing it.

‘You lift your head before you receive the ball, you look to see if you are in space, and who else is in space, and you play the ball first time. Modern football is so quick that two touches means too slow.’

Arsenal remain the closest thing to Barcelona in English football, but their Barca-Lite tag is a generous one after six years without a trophy. Would such a drought be tolerated at the Nou Camp?

‘If you go two years without winning things here then you have to change everything,’ says Xavi. ‘But you change the people, not the ideology. The philosophy you can’t ever lose. The fans here are not going to understand a team that sits back and plays on the counter-attack.’

Back in 2008 Barcelona had gone two years without winning anything and rumours circulated that Xavi might be part of a clear-out.

‘When Ronaldinho and Deco left there was talk of “Sell Xavi to help us bring Cesc”, but along came Pep (Guardiola) and he said that he did not see a Barcelona without me. That was the end of it.’

Next week’s opponents, Arsenal, may well have been his most suitable destination although he believes he would have adapted to any team and thrived with the passion of Premier League crowds.
    ‘I have never seen anything like the supporters there. We won 3-1 at Liverpool once and we were applauded off the pitch, and Liverpool were as well. All the players who go to England to play come back saying wonderful things about it, the fans, the people. I think I would have liked it.’

article-1355726-0D1C24A2000005DC-298_634x369.jpg Best of Barca: Xavi holds off Arsenal’s Cesc Fabregas and Denilson (above), and celebrates on the shoulders of Eidur Gudjohnsen after beating Manchester United in the 2009 Champions League final

article-1355726-0D1C248E000005DC-432_634x379.jpg Best of Barca: Xavi celebrates on the shoulders of Eidur Gudjohnsen after beating Manchester United in the 2009 Champions League final

Xavi stayed in 2008 and after Guardiola’s Barcelona took just one point from their first two games they won their third handsomely and went on to win an unprecedented six out of six trophies.

‘Who knows what would have happened if we had drawn that third game. They might have said, “This guy can’t carry on”. But I knew straightaway that Pep would be successful. He would be a success anywhere in the world,’ says Xavi. ‘Intelligence is being able to adapt to anything and Pep is very intelligent.

‘Normally a coach needs two or three years — he is a one-off. When we signed him I just thought, “Madre mia, we are going to go off like a shot”. He is so persistent.

‘If he was a musician he would be a very good musician, if he was a psychologist, he would be a very good psychologist. He expects the maximum from himself and that rubs off on others.’

And it’s the football demanded by Guardiola and not just the results garnered by it that Xavi is so enamoured with.

‘We go out from the first moment looking for the ball and looking to put pressure on the opposition. If you are not going to pass the ball then why play the game. That is not football in my opinion.

‘For another coach — someone like (Javier) Clemente or (Fabio) Capello — they may have another idea of football but it is good that the Barcelona idea works. What were Holland looking for in the World Cup final? A Robben counter-attack? Penalties? We won a lot of games 1-0 but it was the opposition that were boring, not us.’

article-1355726-051D2813000005DC-152_634x431.jpg Top man: Pep Guardiola steered his side to the Primera Division, Copa del Rey and Champions League in his first season at the helm, adding the Uefa Super Cup, FIFA Club World Cup and the Spanish Super Cup before the end of 2009

The smothering tactics used by the Dutch are copied, with less and less success, every week in La Liga but Xavi has learned to live with the close attention.

‘I spend the entire 90 minutes looking for space on the pitch. I’m always between the opposition’s two holding midfielders and thinking, “The defence is here so I get the ball and I go there to where the space is”.’

His team-mates make it easy for him, he says. ‘My job is to pass the ball, and I have Messi, Iniesta, Pedro, Villa and Alves all showing for passes. It gets to the point where I think they are going to get annoyed with me because I have played three passes without giving the ball to Messi or that Alves has gone forward three times and I have not given it to him once. When Messi is not in the game he switches off!’

The gap that Barcelona have now created between themselves and the rest was never so obvious as in November last year with that 5-0 win over Real Madrid so appreciated by Rooney.

‘It is a source of great pride that an extraordinary player like Rooney, someone who could play perfectly well in Barcelona’s system, feels that way,’ says Xavi.

‘The 5-0 was the best game I have ever played in. There are more important games like the World Cup final but the feeling of superiority was incredible — it is one thing to have it against another team but against Real Madrid? They hardly touched the ball. We gave ourselves a minute’s round of applause in the dressing room afterwards.’

article-1355726-0C48C75C000005DC-542_634x478.jpg Mob rule: Xavi (hidden) is bundled after opening the scoring during Barcelona's 5-0 drubbing of Real Madrid

Last year the Champions League held special importance for Barcelona precisely because the final was to be played at the home of their great rivals. This year Wembley provides the added spice.

‘It is all about nostalgia. Getting to the final is great wherever it is played but Wembley is special,’ says Xavi. ‘It’s special for everybody in football but for Barcelona more so because of our first European Cup.’

And to close, he recalls that night 19 years ago when Barcelona first held the trophy aloft. ‘I was only 12 years old and I was not allowed to go to London. My two brothers went and I cried to my parents but they said I was too young. I remember watching the (Ronald) Koeman goal at home on television. If we can get there again this time I will be able to make up for that.’

article-1355726-0D204596000005DC-672_634x527.jpg

There you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

What a bunch of ****tards the Daily Mail are, emerging talent ffs.

Two years ago Xavi was still an emerging talent

So, in dating precisely two years ago, 2009, he was an 'emerging talent'?

2009/10: Three goals, fourteen assists. (La Liga, Copa Del Rey)
    2008/09: Six goals, twenty assists. (Two goals and seven assists in Champions League)
    2007/08: Nine goals, seven assists (All competitions with Barcelona)

I completely disagree with the mail. They're astonishing figures for a midfielder. The failure of the writer to notice these is foolish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

So, in dating precisely two years ago, 2009, he was an 'emerging talent'?

2009/10: Three goals, fourteen assists. (La Liga, Copa Del Rey)
    2008/09: Six goals, twenty assists. (Two goals and seven assists in Champions League)
    2007/08: Nine goals, seven assists (All competitions with Barcelona)

I completely disagree with the mail. They're astonishing figures for a midfielder. The failure of the writer to notice these is foolish.

While I agree with your sentiment - I would not call those statistics astonishing. But then again, Xavis brilliance will never be measured with stats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ 40 assists in 3 seasons is fairly incredible tbh. Whatever about the goal scoring.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

An emerging talent having played for Barcelona in the Champions League in England in 2001, having won 2 La Liga titles under Rijkaard and the CL. Admittedly the last year under Rijkaard is a write off for pretty much everyone...which was 07/08....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Good man Xavi. Great analyst as awell a sa great player. Love to see Scholesie get the credit he deserves. I oftne think he's more highly rated on the continent than he is over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

flahavaj wrote: »
    I oftne think he's more highly rated on the continent than he is over here.

Yep, it's extremely bizarre.

Came across well in interview, no BS just straight and honest talk.

Tusky wrote: »
    While I agree with your sentiment - I would not call those statistics astonishing. But then again, Xavis brilliance will never be measured with stats.

Reread the numbers. It isn't always about goals (although he has quite a nice number). From the assists, he's practically help win games.

Over forty assists is crazy numbers. Handy number of goals considering all the players around him that have scored so much.

Put all that in context with the Mail calling him an 'emerging talent' and not worthy among the best players around - and he's astonishing.

Terrific talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Seems not everyone is overly impressed. This fella here in the letters page of football365 is preumably looking for a reaction, as I am not sure could anyone be this thick ignorant.
    Mail From An Angry Man
    Normally I could avoid it, I don't need anger to get my blood up first thing in the morning. I've got a Nespresso machine to get me started. I could normally avoid it but it is in BIG BLOODY LETTERS on the front of Guardian sport.

Some mousse-haired dull-eyed brain-washed git (okay, it's Xavi looking like a slack-jawed cult member or Gitmo internee) is interviewed and the pull quote they've gone with is: "When you arrive at Barcelona the first thing they teach is: Think, think, think. Lift your head, move, see, think. I look for spaces. All day. I'm always looking for space. All day, all day. Here? No. Space, space, space (What the feck? Are you at fekken Bluewater Shopping Centre in your @rseing Nissan Micra? You're the kind of git I get stuck behind. I bet you're a pain in the butt at Harvester buffet queue too. 'I don't care if there is a space in front of me because I'm loitering over the potato salad, get the hell back!' He'd definitely get glassed at Wetherspoons in a bar crush). Some teams can't or don't pass the ball - what are you playing at? What's the point?"

The circle jerk w@nkfest which is the acclaim of Arsenal, Spain and Barca's passing game s***s me no end. Just because hack, run, charge, hoof and barge interrupts your ballet and might scruff your pretty pink effing boots, it doesn't make your pouncing version any better. The point is excitement, the point is the physicality, the point is the thrill and the excitement rather than preening tw@ts dancing around with 84 sideways and backwards passes to advance a metre. It is like the bloody Somme but with hair products and less mud.

I still wake up screaming from a recurring dream of the World Cup final. Due to traffic problems I started watching five minutes in, which was six passes and a return to Spanish keeper. I get that loop in my head and when I realise it, just like Dennis Hopper in Speed spots the loop, I lose it, just like Dennis Hopper in Speed.

Coffee time.
    Mark 'breathe, breathe' Fawkner, Dublin

It would be cool if he posted here actually :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Someone should check if the_monkey has been contacting football365...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

If they had stats in the amount of goals he's actually involved in, I'd say they would be unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Xavi is a class act.

I heard someone commenting on the radio a few days ago that the 2 best players in the world were playing against each other: Messi vs Ronaldo (ARG vs POR midweek).
    Absolute rubbish. Xavi is streets ahead of Ronaldo. In my eyes he's right up there with Messi, and that's saying something.

gimmick wrote: »
    Seems not everyone is overly impressed. This fella here in the letters page of football365 is preumably looking for a reaction, as I am not sure could anyone be this thick ignorant.

It would be cool if he posted here actually :)

Writer of that is an idiot and screaming for attention. Just trying to buck a popular and factual trend.

• Advertisement

If Xavi plays this weekend for Spain he will have reached 100 games for spain!

With tonight's match looming, and word of Iniesta's injury, I pray to Xavi! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

I'll be watching tonight with my Xavi jersey on :)

F*ck Zidane, XAVI!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Fabregas is like near 60 spain caps at 23. Amazing really. When Xavi start playing for Spain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I want Real to win tonight, but there's no doubting that it the little dude will do his best to make the opposite happen, brilliant player that Xavi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Nailz wrote: »
    I want Real to win tonight, but there's no doubting that it the little dude will do his best to make the opposite happen, brilliant player that Xavi.

I wonder what Pepe will try to do to him.

It worked last week, so ima be praying hard all day to Xavi :P

Hope Iniesta starts too,he really brings out the best in Xavi and vice versa :D

Woooops double post.

i think i've found myself a ritual! :P

What a man!

"FC Barcelona midfielder Xavi Hernández (31) was today awarded the UEFA International Centurion Award and the Spanish Football Federation’s (RFEF) Godal Medal for surpassing the 100 cap milestone with the Spanish national team.

The ceremony held today at lunchtime first unveiled the new European Championship 2012 jerseys for the Spanish team. At the end, the two centurion awards were bestowed. Fellow UEFA centurions Iker Casillas (30) and FC Barcelona Director of Sport Andoni Zubizarreta were also present. Raúl González (34) was unable to attend. Zubizarreta, the current all-time cap leader with 126, received his cap from former RFEF President José Luis Pérez Payá and said, “I’d like to thank UEFA and I will cherish this cap. I’d like to just remember the many who should also have won this cap – such as Iribar, Arkonada, Hierro or Camacho. They deserved to be honoured – as do all the players who have worn the Spanish shirt – even if only once.”

Current captain Casillas, who is just behind Zubizarreta with 125 caps, was given his award by another former President, José Luis Roca, and remarked that “I have not managed to reach the number of Zubizarreta. We are eager and impatient for that time to come, although it is true it is close. From the first day I debuted eleven years ago, I told myself to take every call and every game with the national team; not to think about the high numbers. I think it has made me get here. It was a pleasure and I thank all my colleagues for what they have taught me for eleven years. I’ve always felt to enjoy every game like it were my last and it has made me able to be here today.”

Finally, the man of the hour Xavi was presented his cap by RFEF Vice President Juan Padrón, stating, “I am proud to come here, to represent the RFEF, for many years and many games. When you enjoy something you do not realize that the years go by and I hope to continue to enjoy.” He added, “I’ve had plenty of good times, but what we have experienced over the last few seasons with this generation of footballers after so many years when we weren’t so well appreciated, is just the best. I’m as a happy as a little kid.” Xavi was also given special recognition by the current RFEF President Ángel María Villar when he was presented the RFEF’s gold medal for achieving over 100 caps with La Roja. “I thank everyone who helped me get this award because I feel very privileged,” Xavi said.

The RFEF also created a special video commemorating Xavi’s 105 caps and counting career with the Spanish team. “I could not imagine having achieved this. One always wants to both make a living in football and enjoy the sport I love so much … I consider myself privileged. The most important thing is the affection of the people. I thank all the people of the Federation, coaches, teammates, managers, media … all the moments lived. I’ll remember what I’m enjoying these last few years.”

Both of Xavi’s coaches from the national team praised the maestro. Current coach Vicente del Bosque said, “he represents very well what is the current player on the field and off the pitch. He is one of those unique players, who brings a lot of play, thinks only of the team, knows to defend, builds well, finishes … I think he’s very complete.” Former head coach Luis Aragonés continued the celebration by saying, “he has many virtues, especially as a player and his human qualities, he knows how to go through life with an extraordinary humanity. He has the conditions to play outstanding football. Coaches influence the players only a litte but he who has won has set an example on how to understand and play football. “

Source: fcbarcelona.cat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    What a man!

"FC Barcelona midfielder Xavi Hernández (31) was today awarded the UEFA International Centurion Award and the Spanish Football Federation’s (RFEF) Godal Medal for surpassing the 100 cap milestone with the Spanish national team.

The ceremony held today at lunchtime first unveiled the new European Championship 2012 jerseys for the Spanish team. At the end, the two centurion awards were bestowed. Fellow UEFA centurions Iker Casillas (30) and FC Barcelona Director of Sport Andoni Zubizarreta were also present. Raúl González (34) was unable to attend. Zubizarreta, the current all-time cap leader with 126, received his cap from former RFEF President José Luis Pérez Payá and said, “I’d like to thank UEFA and I will cherish this cap. I’d like to just remember the many who should also have won this cap – such as Iribar, Arkonada, Hierro or Camacho. They deserved to be honoured – as do all the players who have worn the Spanish shirt – even if only once.”

Current captain Casillas, who is just behind Zubizarreta with 125 caps, was given his award by another former President, José Luis Roca, and remarked that “I have not managed to reach the number of Zubizarreta. We are eager and impatient for that time to come, although it is true it is close. From the first day I debuted eleven years ago, I told myself to take every call and every game with the national team; not to think about the high numbers. I think it has made me get here. It was a pleasure and I thank all my colleagues for what they have taught me for eleven years. I’ve always felt to enjoy every game like it were my last and it has made me able to be here today.”

Finally, the man of the hour Xavi was presented his cap by RFEF Vice President Juan Padrón, stating, “I am proud to come here, to represent the RFEF, for many years and many games. When you enjoy something you do not realize that the years go by and I hope to continue to enjoy.” He added, “I’ve had plenty of good times, but what we have experienced over the last few seasons with this generation of footballers after so many years when we weren’t so well appreciated, is just the best. I’m as a happy as a little kid.” Xavi was also given special recognition by the current RFEF President Ángel María Villar when he was presented the RFEF’s gold medal for achieving over 100 caps with La Roja. “I thank everyone who helped me get this award because I feel very privileged,” Xavi said.

The RFEF also created a special video commemorating Xavi’s 105 caps and counting career with the Spanish team. “I could not imagine having achieved this. One always wants to both make a living in football and enjoy the sport I love so much … I consider myself privileged. The most important thing is the affection of the people. I thank all the people of the Federation, coaches, teammates, managers, media … all the moments lived. I’ll remember what I’m enjoying these last few years.”

Both of Xavi’s coaches from the national team praised the maestro. Current coach Vicente del Bosque said, “he represents very well what is the current player on the field and off the pitch. He is one of those unique players, who brings a lot of play, thinks only of the team, knows to defend, builds well, finishes … I think he’s very complete.” Former head coach Luis Aragonés continued the celebration by saying, “he has many virtues, especially as a player and his human qualities, he knows how to go through life with an extraordinary humanity. He has the conditions to play outstanding football. Coaches influence the players only a litte but he who has won has set an example on how to understand and play football. “

Source: fcbarcelona.cat

On a side issue, Casillias a good shout to break all time caps record of 178, hes only 30 and has 125, he could go on for another 10 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

was noticeable how Spain were poor when he went off today. Possibly the most influential player in the world

In Xavi we trust!

FC Barcelona’s maestro and certainly one of the greatest creative midfielders of all time, Xavi Hernandez turns 32 today. A cule in and out, Xavi has vowed to play for the club till the day he retires from football.Amen.

Lets hope he gets to celebrate it with a win over Madrid tonight.

Visca Barca!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

Happy Birthday you little genius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

he's past it

joke

• Advertisement

Lol nice try!
    New there was some thing to your post :pac:

Fantastic player imo one of the greatest of all time, only Scholes was all round better passer of ball.

Could watch him all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Fantastic player imo one of the greatest of all time, only Scholes was all round better passer of ball.

Could watch him all day.

What do you mean by all round passer of the ball? Better passing range? Perhaps, i'd rate Alonso above both in that respect. Better player? No chance.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    What do you mean by all round passer of the ball? Better passing range? Perhaps, i'd rate Alonso above both in that respect. Better player? No chance.

Well by all around I mean just that, long, short, through balls etc.

We just going to have disagree on this one.

Well by all around I mean just that, long, short, through balls etc.

We just going to have disagree on this one.

Alonso is probably one of the only players better at spreading long passes. But Xavi can hit them too.

Part of what makes Xavi better is how he can control the tempo of a game. I think he's even better than Scoles at this, but then Scoles was better at tackling than Xavi.

All three players are great, it comes down to personal preference :cool:

Xavi all day long :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement