Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Xavi Hernandez Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Was listening to Graham Hunter on Off The Ball last night and it sounds like Xavi is in serious decline. He's currently on HGH to try and deal with chronic hamstring issues and can't be risked on hard or cold pitches. They said that one of the reasons he's so messed up is that he's played an average of one top level game every five days for the last six years. Kind of astonishing stat really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

gosplan wrote: »
    Was listening to Graham Hunter on Off The Ball last night and it sounds like Xavi is in serious decline. He's currently on HGH to try and deal with chronic hamstring calf issues and can't be risked on hard or cold pitches. They said that one of the reasons he's so messed up is that he's played an average of one top level game every five days for the last six years. Kind of astonishing stat really.

FYP. And amazingly he said that included the summer, not just the 'on-season'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I either read or heard (possibly from the RTE studio guys) that Xavi used to live in Ireland as a student, is there any truth to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Charisteas wrote: »
    I either read or heard (possibly from the RTE studio guys) that Xavi used to live in Ireland as a student, is there any truth to this?

I know Alonso did not sure about Xavi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Charisteas wrote: »

That was Xabi Alonso, he was one of them annoying Spanish kids that sit around in circles.

JPA wrote: »
    That was Xabi Alonso, he was one of them annoying Spanish kids that sit around in circles.

He played GAA when he was over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Xabi I probably misheard it as Xavi, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He played GAA when he was over

There was a question on a radio station or something a while back. Who is the only player to have won a junior GAA medal and a Champions League winner's medal. Answer was Xabi Alonso.

Turned out not to be true though. I think he was asked about it and he said he only played a kickabout of GAA, not for an actual team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Thought Xavi was not his brilliant self tonight, Spain look tired to me in general, they have the harder side of the draw so if they do go on to win this they are going to do it the hard way :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

He was pretty poor tonight alright, except for the pass to Fabregas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

dfx- wrote: »

Absolute quality, and thats the thing, even when he has an off night he still manages to create a great chance :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

To be honest Xavi didn't even need to be great, France were that poor. Also dosent help when you don't really have a forward to pass the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

dfx- wrote: »

That pass was unreal!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

This deserves to go here. (Especially when it's Marca that published it.:pac:)

Two months back, he visited a hospital and one of the kids there suffering from the leukaemia asked him two requests. One was that if Xavi scored against Milan Xavi'd rub his hair and the other was that when the boy was fit enough he'd be able to attend Barcelona training. He didn't score against Milan, but he scored last night and that was why he rubbed his head the way he did.

Touch of class.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Hadn't a clue this thread existed. He's been in supreme form lately when he has played. A midfield performance of the very highest quality in the second leg against Milan, a virtuoso display for Spain against France in the biggest non-tournament match Spain have played in years and a strong performance last night.

Rested more often these days due to his age and his recurring injury but one of the finest big game players in the world, the heartbeat of Barcelona and Spain and, imo, the greatest midfielder of his generation, perhaps the greatest midfielder ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

Great story about the kid, seems like a classy guy though I think most footballers are and the odd high profile idiot giving a bad reputation

As for his form I thought he looked like his legs had gone around Euros as wasnt at his best and this season has probably been his poorest since I watched him. Think against Real he hasnt looked his greatest and why they struggled in recent games

Zatman wrote: »
    Great story about the kid, seems like a classy guy though I think most footballers are and the odd high profile idiot giving a bad reputation

As for his form I thought he looked like his legs had gone around Euros as wasnt at his best and this season has probably been his poorest since I watched him. Think against Real he hasnt looked his greatest and why they struggled in recent games

His Euro's was good, not great but tiredness played a part but in the final, the big game when it really mattered, he was the best and most important player on the pitch, it was a masterclass of the Barcelona philosophy of midfield play. I don't agree that he has been poor this season either, I think one poor performance against Madrid was the only game I can think of where he was particularly poor, in other games he has been outstanding and he remains Barcelona's heartbeat in the centre of the pitch and has been rewarded with a new contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Still by far my faveourite player, what is worrying how ever is how inept Cesc is at the Xavi role, and how Thiago is failing to learn from the best and not taking his chances well.

I think that position will become Iniesta's in time tbh. He's proved on numerous occasions he can do the job (albeit in his own way).

I think Busquets is probably the player to grow the most from playing along side Xavi, he's gone from being the guy protecting the back line, to a world class mid-fielder in all senses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Iniesta is ****ing immense. May even be underrated by some with Messi in the team - I don't know if he gets the press he deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

cson wrote: »
    Iniesta is ****ing immense. May even be underrated by some with Messi in the team - I don't know if he gets the press he deserves.

Really?

Gets plenty of plaudits from all over. People were even saying he should have won world player last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

_blank_ wrote: »
    Fabregas will displace him in the next two years.
    That went a small bit wrong

In Cesc's defence, Xavi was there for ages before he got his moment. Guardiola kept Xavi out and Xavi was actually considering leaving (to AC Milan I think.)

At the start of the season it looked like Cesc had gelled into the team, and who knows maybe he has? He wasn't that bad against PSG and you can't forget his earlier performances of the season. Some of them were very impressive. How himself, Iniesta and Messi could work through the tiniest of compact spaces was just mind boggling at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Your post is the one that went a small bit wrong! You quoted a post from 2008 where the user has since closed his account, ha ha.

As good and as talented as Fabregas is I don't think he will ever adequately replace Xavi. This comment is one I actually saw quite often, the argument was that Fabregas is younger, quicker, scores more goals, stronger, passing just as good. On paper (or in FIFA) it would be perfect.

In real life I never thought it would be the case. The understanding of Barcelona's play, the ability to set and dictate a tempo from first minute to last, the relentless passing to keep the team ticking over. On paper Fabregas is arguably a more complete player, in reality he was never going to be able to replace Xavi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Iniesta and Cesc are top class players in their own right but neither could ever replace Xavi in a like for like role. His vision and pass accuracy is far superior to either to them and I don't think you can make yourself that good at those things.

Iniesta obviously is an immense player in his own right and he can do things that Xavi could only dream about but neither could play the others role at the same level imo.

His Euro's was good, not great but tiredness played a part but in the final, the big game when it really mattered, he was the best and most important player on the pitch, it was a masterclass of the Barcelona philosophy of midfield play. I don't agree that he has been poor this season either, I think one poor performance against Madrid was the only game I can think of where he was particularly poor, in other games he has been outstanding and he remains Barcelona's heartbeat in the centre of the pitch and has been rewarded with a new contract.

He was awful vs Celtic, that flick for 2nd goal was jsut so uncharacteristic I was shocked

cson wrote: »

he isnt. Maybe 2 years ago but everybody knows how top class he is now

He was awful vs Celtic, that flick for 2nd goal was jsut so uncharacteristic I was shocked

Granted that was an off night all round. Though to be fair, they were always cruising that group anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

he isnt. Maybe 2 years ago but everybody knows how top class he is now

I'm not so sure, his touch, his control especially near the touchline and how he glides across the pitch is not recognised as much as it should.

I don't think there's a player I'd love to see play more than him, including Xavi and Messi. I wasn't a fan of his when he came into the team, seeing him as another Gabri. I've turned..

• Advertisement

Your post is the one that went a small bit wrong! You quoted a post from 2008 where the user has since closed his account, ha ha.

I wasn't attacking that particular person. It was a view held by many people totally disregarding that they are different player with very different roles. There is no player that is like Xavi in the world and nobody with the same extraordinary positioning as Xavi to always be in a position to receive a pass. Pirlo is actually one player who is a bit like Xavi. Both great players

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I think Iniesta is a better player than Xavi and have thought as much for several years now.

He's got just as much passing range, just as clever and infinitely more skill on the ball.

Xavi is a world class player but Iniesta is Barca's second most important player, in my opinion, and has been for several years.

I agree with you seaneh. Xavi plays nice padres to stay the move but when they need to create something that's when Iniesta is in his element

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Simply, you do not "adequately replace" Xavi. He is a very rare type player.

Now, you can find someone who can slot in and do a job, but I doubt we will ever see someone so comfortable on the ball with such exquisite passing again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

gimmick wrote: »
    Simply, you do not "adequately replace" Xavi. He is a very rare type player.

Now, you can find someone who can slot in and do a job, but I doubt we will ever see someone so comfortable on the ball with such exquisite passing again.

nonsense.

there have players as good as Xavi before him and will be players as good as Xavi after him. Hes not such a unique player that there wont be someone like him again.

Seaneh wrote: »
    I think Iniesta is a better player than Xavi and have thought as much for several years now.

He's got just as much passing range, just as clever and infinitely more skill on the ball.

Xavi is a world class player but Iniesta is Barca's second most important player, in my opinion, and has been for several years.

I hate this idea that because Iniesta or Fabregas or Pirlo or whoever has a passing range as good as Xavi Hernandez it means that they can adequately replace Xavi or that they are a more important player than Xavi.

First thing's first. Xavi is technically a world class footballer. Touch, passing, ability to make space for himself, ability to emerge from tight situations with the ball or find a teammate. This isn't a run of the mill player we are talking about, even by Barcelona's standards.

Maybe Iniesta's passing range is as good as Xavi's, same with Fabregas but that doesn't mean either of them can replace Xavi or are more important than Xavi. While both might be as good as him technically, an astounding achievement in its own right, what sets Xavi apart is his ability to orchestrate. It's not just his ability to play a pass but it is his pass selection. You can say "but sure any of those players could play those passes" bit to constantly choose the right pass, to constantly be hub of both national and club side for so long is very special.

I agree that Iniesta has more individual talents and physically is superior to Xavi. However what Xavi does is nigh irreplaceable. Eventually he will retire and hopefully by then a young player from the academy will have developed enough to replace him, perhaps not to the same level but maybe in time can grow to be the next Xavi Hernandez, just as Xavi grew to be the next Pep Guardiola and surpassed him. Individually Iniesta may be the more dynamic and breathtaking player, but in terms of importance I'd still rank Xavi Hernandez above him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Whats happened with Thiago? Is he not getting enough game time or does he need to go out on loan?

Seaneh wrote: »
    nonsense.

OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Iniesta may well be a better player than Xavi in many people's opinions, I do not agree however, but an opinion is all it is. Be that as it may, it is irrefutable than Xavi is a more important player than Iniesta to both Barcelona and Spain, but because he doesn't use as many nice skills and go around players as Iniesta does, people generally don't tend to notice the value he has to the team.

Best midfielder of his generation? Yes. Not in question.

Whats happened with Thiago? Is he not getting enough game time or does he need to go out on loan?

He's a talented player, and imo, of the current first team squad he is the most likely to eventually replace Xavi. He has played this season, he's gotten a good number of games under his belt but I think the main problem is that he is still prone to lapses in concentration. He gives the ball away cheaply far too often and can be accused of trying to do too much. He is still relatively young, it is a position which requires a lot of maturity and comes with a lot of responsibility, in time he might grow in that respect. Hopefully the mental side of his game does develop because he has all the talent to eventually be a key figure for club and country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

THFC wrote: »
    Iniesta may well be a better player than Xavi in many people's opinions, I do not agree however, but an opinion is all it is. Be that as it may, it is irrefutable than Xavi is a more important player than Iniesta to both Barcelona and Spain, but because he doesn't use as many nice skills and go around players as Iniesta does, people generally don't tend to notice the value he has to the team.

Best midfielder of his generation? Yes. Not in question.

Zidane was better...

There's no doubt that Iniesta is a great player but Spain and Barca can manage without him. If you compare games where Iniesta plays for Spain and Barcelona and Xavi doesn't play to games where Xavi plays but Iniesta doesn't it should be readily apparent which player actually has the bigger influence on the overall team play.
    Xavi, is unreal, when he's off form or injured Spain and Barca generally look tepid. When Xavi is present and on his game, Spain and Barca control games in a ruthless fashion that leaves the opposition almost totally reliant on counter attacks.
    It's sad, in a way, that the guy never will win the Ballon D'or, but I think the greatest compliment any player can be given is that when they're carrying injuries their entire team suffers significantly as a result. Spain and Barca without Xavi are barely recognisable at times.

Xavi be difficult to replace. Arguably 2 of best teams of all time are relying on his skills as I dont think either will be able to replace him at for a while

This has to go here.
    Xavi completed 96 out 96 passes tonight against PSG. 100%!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Xavi has now become the Spanish player to win the most Titles EVER.
    Wednesdays Super Cup brings his tally to 25, remarkable. Literally at the center of most of those titles too.

I hope that within the next 2 seasons he can grab another few. I know he might not be the flashiest players now a days, but he still is the embodiment of the tiki-taka style that changed the game over the past 5-6 years.

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Xavi has now become the Spanish player to win the most Titles EVER.
    Wednesdays Super Cup brings his tally to 25, remarkable. Literally at the center of most of those titles too.

I hope that within the next 2 seasons he can grab another few. I know he might not be the flashiest players now a days, but he still is the embodiment of the tiki-taka style that changed the game over the past 5-6 years.

Or Figuratively?

:)

Jernal wrote: »
    This has to go here.
    Xavi completed 96 out 96 passes tonight against PSG. 100%!

How many chances did he create in the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

How many chances did he create in the game?

rossc007 wrote: »

Do you know what a chance is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Do you know what a chance is

Do you know what sarcasm is?

Advertisement