Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Xavi Hernandez Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

miralize wrote: »
    Do you know what sarcasm is?

Yes I do and I don't see how that post can be seen as sarcastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Yes I do and I don't see how that post can be seen as sarcastic

But do you really know?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

How many chances did he create in the game?

If you're picking players on chance creation, you'll have a very limited and easy-to-beat side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

How many chances did he create in the game?

It's not strictly his role to create chances. Same as with a defender. I think though in that game he created 5 or 6 half chances. Nothing clear cut, iirc. Xavi's a game manager first and foremost. He's created lots of assists but that's not his actual role. I should have put it another way. If that sub par Barca hadn't Xavi playing that night they'd likely have lost - and by a bit of a margin too I might add.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Something like 70% of his passes in that game were in the attacking half so it's not as if all these passes were little passes between him and the defenders.

Anyone who doesn't rate Xavi as one of the top players in the world simply does not know anything about football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Something like 70% of his passes in that game were in the attacking half so it's not as if all these passes were little passes between him and the defenders.

Anyone who doesn't rate Xavi as one of the top players in the world simply does not know anything about football.
    I rate Xavi very highly but I also think that he is generally very conservative about his passes compared to somebody like Pirlo who also sits deeply but tries to break down a defence more. I accept that Pirlo doesn't have Iniesta to pass to so carries more responsibility for creating chances. What I'm getting at is that I don't think getting 100% pass completion is that great an achievement as if Xavi tried to create more he wouldn't get that 100% pass completion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Xavi will reach his 700th appearance for Barca tonight vs Getafe :D

edit: appearance not cap, woops

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

A record smashing achievement for Barcelona's chief or orchestrator, some very positive quotes today from the great man about wishing to finish his career at Barcelona and rejecting talk of overtures from New York Red Bulls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

A record smashing achievement for Barcelona's chief or orchestrator, some very positive quotes today from the great man about wishing to finish his career at Barcelona and rejecting talk of overtures from New York Red Bulls.

Honest question here. If he was standing in front of you, what would you do? Would you automatically drop to your knees and gobble him up or would you try to have a conversation first?

Honest question here. If he was standing in front of you, what would you do? Would you automatically drop to your knees and gobble him up or would you try to have a conversation first?

Honestly I would probably be too stunned too speak. Literally my favorite footballer in the world with Iniesta a close second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Im no great lover of Barcelona, but even I would be speechless at a minimum. He is my favourite player after Zidane to play the game. He better be starting against almeria next month!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

I bet he gives nice hugz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

No homo, but yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He still shouldn't have been selected in this years Team of the year.

He still shouldn't have been selected in this years Team of the year.

Don't dispute that one bit. But I do think he deserves a ballon d'or or something award for his achievements throughout the game. A truly magnificent player who was a joy to behold at his peak. Sadly, if rumours are to be believed this will likely be his last international year. The guy plays many games through a pain barrier.

If I met him, I'd probably freeze and then in a attempt to break the awkward feeling silence I'd probably say something incredibly stupid like "Wow! I never realised how small you were". Then pray he doesn't comprehend. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Was he ever the best player in the world over a calender year?

No, so he does not deserve a Ballon d'Or tbh, but I am sure the trophies and medals he has make up for it. Unbelievable player at his peak, vital to Barcelonas and Spains success in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Capajoma

Great player but has been in decline for the last 18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Jernal wrote: »
    Don't dispute that one bit. But I do think he deserves a ballon d'or or something award for his achievements throughout the game.

That's why Ryan Giggs got PFA Player of the Year, and it was a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Xavi will reach his 700th cap for Barca tonight vs Getafe :D

You mean appearance.

He'll never get the individual recognition he deserves because most of what he does appears so unspectacular. Amazing player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I really don't think Xavi cares about personal awards at all, one of the best and he will be remembered as one of the best even without a Ballon d'Or or any other personal awards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I hope his career is never subsequently tarnished with doping speculation or evidence just like Zidane.

I'd argue that in the 08/09 season only Messi and Ronaldo were rivals to Xavi. But of course 30+ goals wins the votes as opposed to leading club AND country to major success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He'll never get the individual recognition he deserves because most of what he does appears so unspectacular. Amazing player.

Lets be honest, everybody in football licks his arse constantly. Not a day goes by without somebody calling him one of the greatest ever, the man gets nothing but individual recognition.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

kryogen wrote: »
    Was he ever the best player in the world over a calender year?

His chance was in 2010, he was arguably more influential in 2008/2009 establishing Guardiola's side, but they hadn't established it yet amongst the wider populace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Giruilla wrote: »
    I hope his career is never subsequently tarnished with doping speculation or evidence just like Zidane.

or Guardiola.

Lets be honest, everybody in football licks his arse constantly. Not a day goes by without somebody calling him one of the greatest ever, the man gets nothing but individual recognition.

Not at all. I always felt he was being under rated at times. Giles et al calling for Cesc to be chosen ahead of him for Spain was such example.

Jernal wrote: »
    Not at all. I always felt he was being under rated at times. Giles et al calling for Cesc to be chosen ahead of him for Spain was such example.

Yeah but John Giles is.....John Giles. People rate Xavi all the time.

Yeah but John Giles is.....John Giles. People rate Xavi all the time.

Yeah Giles is Giles. I started reading boards and other stuff too late. :o

• Advertisement

I'm not saying he doesn't get recognition. I'm saying he does not get the recognition he deserves.

I'm not saying he doesn't get recognition. I'm saying he does not get the recognition he deserves.

He is widely proclaimed to be the greatest midfielder of his generation, the one player who makes arguably the greatest club side of all time tick and pulls the strings for an imperious national team over the last few years

He is always singled out for special praise, even look at the FIFA team of the year this year, how has he been selected ahead of Vidal or Schwein? Not for performance over the year I can tell you that, but because his reputation and standing in the game goes before him and he is a media darling.

Truly brilliant player, but I dont think he is underrated by anyone or under appreciated

What more do you want like?

kryogen wrote: »
    He is widely proclaimed to be the greatest midfielder of his generation, the one player who makes arguably the greatest club side of all time tick and pulls the strings for an imperious national team over the last few years

He is always singled out for special praise, even look at the FIFA team of the year this year, how has he been selected ahead of Vidal or Schwein? Not for performance over the year I can tell you that, but because his reputation and standing in the game goes before him and he is a media darling.

Truly brilliant player, but I dont think he is underrated by anyone or under appreciated

What more do you want like?

I would like for him to be regarded as the greatest midfielder of the last 20 or so years, as he should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Footballs a team game. Xavi has won everything, his medals are his recognition.

Like Daveo09 said, I'd be stunned silent. The man is a legend, more than a legend he is the very embodiment of tiki taka and the Barcelona philosophy. A hero of the national team, he's been nothing but diplomatic when asked about his opinion on Catalonia dividing from Spain. The greatest midfielder I've ever seen and probably ever will see. On top of all of that he is one of my favorite players ever.

Sure it would have been nice to see him lift the Balon D'or, a year in which I thought he was in with a great shout for it, but individual awards won't define him, afterall, Xavi is the ultimate team player and somebody whose never put much stock in the individual, just like the very philosophy he embodies.

I would like for him to be regarded as the greatest midfielder of the last 20 or so years, as he should be.

Ah, I see, you want your opinion to be validated.

There would be a whole lot of discussion needed to work that out, and tbf since not all midfielders are the same it would be tough to find a good consensus on that.

There have been some tremendous midfielders in the last 20 years, which in fairness, Xavi was nowhere near the Barca starting line up twenty years ago him being 13 and all, maybe you wanna say the last 10-12 years? He started playing more then 20 games a season around then didnt he?

There have been plenty of great midfielders the last 20 years, he would be in the discussion of course, but is he outright the best for the last 20 years?

Up for debate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

One of the best and one of my favourites to watch, in his prime he was flawless, you couldn't fault the man, his game was as close to perfect as you can get.

I'm sure Scholes is proud of his younger apprentice. :D

According to you. He's up there alright but Pirlo in his prime was just as good. Zidane is up there. Michael Laudrup was playing 20 years ago, as was Lothar Matthaus. It's not as clear as you think.

Could watch players like Xavi all day tbh

Actually regarding the 20 year thing, Xavi picked Scoles as a matter of interest xD

From an EA blog After the final between Barca and United 2011
    "After the final whistle on Saturday, Xavi, Messi, Pedro, Iniesta and Busquets all wanted to swap shirts with Scholes, so they drew straws and Iniesta won and got to swap with him. There is a lot of talk about him retiring so they were feeling like it could be the last time they play against him.

Also, the same story says that Busquets had hung on to the match ball and gave it to Scholes. For players like the 5 mentioned, and the esteem people hold them in, to take time out of their celebrations says a lot. It shows the class and humility of the Barca players for starters. But it also says a lot about the esteem that Scholes is held in amongst his peers and those who have played against him.

Xavi's quote earlier this year backs that up too:

"A role model. For me, and I really mean this, he's the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years. He's spectacular, he has it all, the last pass, goals, he's strong, he doesn't lose the ball, vision. If he'd been Spanish he might have been rated more highly. Players love him."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Xavi announces his retirement from the Spanish squad. Great player and will be sorely missed. His pass for Torres in the Euro 08 final and his one for Alba in the Euro 12 final stand out in my mind.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2014/08/05/5007661/xavi-retires-from-international-football?ICID=HP_HN_1

• Advertisement

Del Bosque convinced him to stay on for this world cup two years ago. He was playing through a pain barrier then, it's even worse now. You have admire his persistence. He made Spain tick. Without him on form Spain and Barcelona were and are wholly different sides. Greatest tribute I think he can be given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

The most important player in the all-conquering Spain side, arguably the greatest international side ever. As strange as this sounds, Spain will have to change their style if they hope to win another major title with Xavi gone, he's absolutely irreplaceable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Xavi was a the central figure in the Spanish and Barcelona team and was a joy to watch.

It's a great day for Barcelona, it's a sad day for Spain. Never has a man come to represent a football philosophy more than Xavi Hernandez. When you think of the WM formation, you think Herbert Chapman. When you think Catenaccio, you think Helenio Herrera. When you think Total Football, you think Rhinus Michels and Johan Cruyff. When you think Tiki Taka, you think Luis Aragones, you think Pep Guardiola, you think Xavi Hernandez.

A country of different cultures, divided by war, brought together by the force of Franco, this is the backdrop that would become familiar to a national side that would be known as the great underachievers in the world game. A country in which the people thought that too often the Spanish players playing for the country's great clubs were overshadowed by the imported foreign star (Di Stefano, Puskas, Kubala being notable examples). The final straw being a cruel defeat to a Zidane-inspired France at World Cup 2006. Luis Aragones would change the rules, at a time when the athlete was prized over the footballer, Xavi Hernandez himself saying that players of his ilk were a dying breed in a game dominated by physical beasts, the diminutive midfielder would be at the very forefront of a seismic shift kin football. A divided country, brought together in mutual amazement and admiration for the beautiful game living up to it's name, Xavi Hernandez, the great proponent and defender of Tiki Taka. Catalonia's gift to Spain, Spain's gift to the world, if Barcelona is more than a club then Xavi Hernandez is more than a footballer, he is a symbol, a most romantic idea that technique can triumph over physicality, that hard work can prosper over favourable genes, he will be regarded as Spain's greatest ever footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

A beautiful player. The best and strangely I dont feel sad, instead I feel honoured to have been a witness

I look forward to telling my 2yr old son about him in years to come.

"Daddy, how good was the Barcalona team from 2006 to 2012'

"Son, they were the best. The most beautiful football I have ever seen. Only Maradona in his prime gave me that special fuzzy feeling inside. The main man was Xavier "Xavi" Hernández i Creus (as I squint into the middle distance with my best Jimmy Magee/Antonio Bandaras emphasis)"

ps I was very disappointed when he didnt get a run out in the last game against Australia.

It's a great day for Barcelona, it's a sad day for Spain. Never has a man come to represent a football philosophy more than Xavi Hernandez. When you think of the WM formation, you think Herbert Chapman. When you think Catenaccio, you think Helenio Herrera. When you think Total Football, you think Rhinus Michels and Johan Cruyff. When you think Tiki Taka, you think Luis Aragones, you think Pep Guardiola, you think Xavi Hernandez.

A country of different cultures, divided by war, brought together by the force of Franco, this is the backdrop that would become familiar to a national side that would be known as the great underachievers in the world game. A country in which the people thought that too often the Spanish players playing for the country's great clubs were overshadowed by the imported foreign star (Di Stefano, Puskas, Kubala being notable examples). The final straw being a cruel defeat to a Zidane-inspired France at World Cup 2006. Luis Aragones would change the rules, at a time when the athlete was prized over the footballer, Xavi Hernandez himself saying that players of his ilk were a dying breed in a game dominated by physical beasts, the diminutive midfielder would be at the very forefront of a seismic shift kin football. A divided country, brought together in mutual amazement and admiration for the beautiful game living up to it's name, Xavi Hernandez, the great proponent and defender of Tiki Taka. Catalonia's gift to Spain, Spain's gift to the world, if Barcelona is more than a club then Xavi Hernandez is more than a footballer, he is a symbol, a most romantic idea that technique can triumph over physicality, that hard work can prosper over favourable genes, he will be regarded as Spain's greatest
    ever footballer.

Jaysus man stop it, I'm genuinely welling up here....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

one of the greatest ever in his position - its that simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He is my favourite player of all time. The guy was just always there to receive the ball from a player who was in trouble and he laid it off to somebody else so fast and got his team moving again. He split defenses wide open so many times with slide rule passes, he score some great goals too and he was excellent at set pieces like all the great ones.
    I don't think there has been a better midfielder in my lifetime. Maradona as an individual was a better player and there might be others but I think as a team player Xavi Hernandez is the greatest I've even seen.

He is a pure pedigree thoroughbred. I am struggling to think of another player over the past 25 years who captured one pure form of football. He was built and shaped with one sole purpose.

But there will always be a question mark. How would he have coped on a wet January night at Stoke City. I guess we may never know...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I find it quite astonishing that having won 3 champions leagues 2 euros and 1 world cup he has never won the Ballon d'or . For year after year consistency there has never been better

• Advertisement
Advertisement