Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else with UTV?!!

Options
  • 30-06-2008 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

Anyone else on the 1mb package with UTV?

I've just emailed them last night complaining about the ridiculously poor speeds I'm getting. Its actually painfully slow and nowhere near the 1mb speeds my cousin gets with Eircom.
    Even stadard HTML pages are slow to open!!

Any other UTV customers experiencing this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you want some help with this type of problem you have to give more information.

Have you speeds always been slow.

Are you using ethernet or wireless - if wireless check the speed with ethernet.

Have you filters on phones etc?

What are your line stats?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Read this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54381143&postcount=6 and the FAQ/Charter then give more info and people should be able to better help you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭peejay1986

dub45 wrote: »
    If you want some help with this type of problem you have to give more information.

Have you speeds always been slow.

Are you using ethernet or wireless - if wireless check the speed with ethernet.

Have you filters on phones etc?

What are your line stats?

I was with eircom previously and never had this issue and this is probably my 2nd full year with UTV and only in the past year have the speed become so appauling.

I'm using Wireless for my PCs but even on the Ethernet (PS3) its just as slow.

We have the standard BB filters on the phone, they were set up from the moment we got BB.

How do I find out my line stats? If you mean the ones listed in the router, I'm getting 1024kbps UP/128kpbs DOWN (apparently)

Cabaal - Thanks for that :) Unfortunately I have tried those methods and more and still no improvement. That's why I'm posting this on here, I'm fresh out of ideas. I really do believe it's UTV's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Straight Flush

My UTV speed has definitely disimproved in the last three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 crownhill

Having same problem UTV support say my line can only support 1mb but it's only slowed since March. Speedtest now show 1mb down 221kb up and line stats are:- ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 2048 kbps 256 kbps Line Attenuation 48.0 db 29.0 db Noise Margin 17.8 db 17.0 db

• Advertisement

crownhill wrote: »
    Having same problem UTV support say my line can only support 1mb but it's only slowed since March. Speedtest now show 1mb down 221kb up and line stats are:- ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 2048 kbps 256 kbps Line Attenuation 48.0 db 29.0 db Noise Margin 17.8 db 17.0 db

At least you're getting 1mb :(

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

Mine have definitely gotten worse, from a 3M to a 1M over the weekend....
    After midnight its back up to the 3M equivalent....

They're so slow at responding to emails. I forgot that....

Is the utv support newsgroup still open? Used to be a good way of getting things sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

it is but nobody ever responds to anything in there any more. My own utv 3mb connection seems fine, even though my line stats are appalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭leex

I have a 2mb connection. Moved modem to main eircom socket yesterday and SNR changed to 12.5 and attenuation went to 57.5. Rang them today to see if line was capable of 3mb and they said my line is only capable of .5mb. Strange.

leex wrote: »
    I have a 2mb connection. Moved modem to main eircom socket yesterday and SNR changed to 12.5 and attenuation went to 57.5. Rang them today to see if line was capable of 3mb and they said my line is only capable of .5mb. Strange.

From experience their support team is awful. I wouldn't trust what they say to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

I'm with utv and had awfull poor speeds for almost a year, when I called them up all they did was blame the line and eircom, but I new this wasn't a problem with the line. We are right next too exchange and our line has been tested too be able to support 20mbit.

I just lost the plot with them onr day after just they were giving me excuses and I told them I know its not the line something is wrong at there end. As I had tested everything at mine.

Eventually the did admit it was a fault at there end and then fixed it. But it took months for them too pull the finger out and do something

Really awfull support that really just fob you off until you go nuts, you almost have too force them too do something for you.

Terrlock wrote: »
    I'm with utv and had awfull poor speeds for almost a year, when I called them up all they did was blame the line and eircom, but I new this wasn't a problem with the line. We are right next too exchange and our line has been tested too be able to support 20mbit.

I just lost the plot with them onr day after just they were giving me excuses and I told them I know its not the line something is wrong at there end. As I had tested everything at mine.

Eventually the did admit it was a fault at there end and then fixed it. But it took months for them too pull the finger out and do something

Really awfull support that really just fob you off until you go nuts, you almost have too force them too do something for you.

Did they mention what the problem was? I hope it didn't cost you to get it repaired.

They truely are awful for customer service.

I somethings think that UTV's training consists of an intensive 5 second course during when the csr is intructed to blame everything on Eircom.

Their saving grace for a long time was the UTV support group but apparently posts there are not being answered.

I once had them blame a billing problem on Eircom!!!

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Did they mention what the problem was? I hope it didn't cost you to get it repaired.

They truely are awful for customer service.

I wasn't home at the time so they called my brother, he told me all the would say is that they "fixed it"

But the wouldn't tell us what that problem actually was.

I think I'll ring them again when I get home and ask them to explain better what the cause was.

As almost a year of that, and blaming it on someone else is just not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭leex

They're odd alright. In recent times I don't see errors in modem either for the connection so I don't see how they think I should get only 0.5mb. Speedtest sites regular report 1750kbps + for downloads and 200kbps + for uploads. It gets slow in the evenings but this is likely due to contention issues.

The one thing that kinda really annoyed me was that the first time I called them about the problem, the phone tech said that he will get eircom too test the line.

But if he found out that the problem was on my side in the house that he would get UTV too charge me.

They guy said it in a very kinda threatening way as I guess he must of thought I was just some moron that cause my own problems.

Thing is I am A systems engineer, and I only ever call support after rulling out absoultely everything else.

It just the way they try and blame everything on something else is just irratitating and I don't like the way they treat you on the phone.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thing is I am A systems engineer, and I only ever call support after rulling out absoultely everything else.

It just the way they try and blame everything on something else is just irratitating and I don't like the way they treat you on the phone.

Talking from experience, it doesn't matter if your a system engineer I've seen people say they were all sorts of engineers only to find out they had their sky digi box connected without a dsl filter or something else that was simple.

Sure it worked for years or months before hand but funnily enough when this was corrected everything worked fine again.

Techs are trained to advise of such a charge because alot of people are too lazy to check things properly or to stubborn to admit they got things wrong and the only thing they';ll fall in-line for is the chance/threat they might get charged for a non-fault callout. Oh and if the customer does get charged they'll complain to the ISP looking for money back.

Yeah it sucks if you actually do know what your on about when you call but sure all you have to do is stick to your guns and you'll be fine as long as you've ruled out any in-house causes.

I honestly don't blame them one bit for advising this...however maybe they could phrase or explain things better...I've not heard them say it so I couldn't comment on this part of things.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Talking from experience, it doesn't matter if your a system engineer I've seen people say they were all sorts of engineers only to find out they had their sky digi box connected without a dsl filter or something else that was simple.

Sure it worked for years or months before hand but funnily enough when this was corrected everything worked fine again.

Techs are trained to advise of such a charge because alot of people are too lazy to check things properly or to stubborn to admit they got things wrong and the only thing they';ll fall in-line for is the chance/threat they might get charged for a non-fault callout. Oh and if the customer does get charged they'll complain to the ISP looking for money back.

Yeah it sucks if you actually do know what your on about when you call but sure all you have to do is stick to your guns and you'll be fine as long as you've ruled out any in-house causes.

I honestly don't blame them one bit for advising this...however maybe they could phrase or explain things better...I've not heard them say it so I couldn't comment on this part of things.

I dont' have a problem with him just advising there could be a charge, it was the way he said it, it was just said in a very nasty way.

And I totally understand troubleshooting everything and people saying there technical and causing worse problems.

Thing is I didn't mention I was technical on the phone, I just told him all the steps I did and asked him is there anything else you want me too do with the troubleshooting.

He was very abrupt and just said no! and continued on about eircom and such....

• Advertisement

After being told on the phone by customer support to "email us with a full description of your slow speed issue" I did just that.

I've waited almost a week for a response to it, only to get this;

"Dear snip,

In order to resolve the issue please contact our support team as slow speeds require more in depth troubleshooting on our side, also I have noticed you would be leaving us at the end of July, I am sorry to hear that, if you would give us a call we would certainly be able to help you in resolving the problem.

Regards,
    SNIP"

What a joke they are!! And a lovely local name there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Just off the phone with a UTV rep as I want to transfer my UTV Broadband account from my address in Dublin to my new address in Cavan(couldnt see any better alternatives for broadband access in Cavan and I refuse to get Eircom broadband).

Anyway there is no problem transferring the account and it wont cost anything. However the fastest speed they have is 1MB.. I was hoping for at least 2MB as that is what I currently have. Ah well will just have to wait until faster broadband access comes to Cavan.

peejay1986 warning issued for acting the muppet and naming staff, count yourself lucky your not banned as is normally the case in-line with the charter.

Have a nice day,
    Cabaal,

peejay1986 warning issued for acting the muppet and naming staff, count yourself lucky your not banned as is normally the case in-line with the charter.

Have a nice day,
    Cabaal,

I forgot to take off his name, its not the end of the world. No need to insult me and call me a muppet.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black....

Anywhoooo lesson learned and I'll move on.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I forgot to take off his name, its not the end of the world. No need to insult me and call me a muppet.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black....

Anywhoooo lesson learned and I'll move on.

It was a muppetry thing to do tho... :p

Funny the amount of people driven insane by UTV. I dont get as much problems with them as I used to, but their support is awful (takes so bloody long to get a response!)

Sully wrote: »
    It was a muppetry thing to do tho... :p

Is it? Seems more like human error to me. Besides, I actually did know you weren't to post employee names, I literally just never realised.

Why was my name removed from the quote though? Can you not post your own name????? :confused:

Is it? Seems more like human error to me. Besides, I actually did know you weren't to post employee names, I literally just never realised.

Why was my name removed from the quote though? Can you not post your own name????? :confused:

The muppet comment was in reference to "And a lovely local name there too", we get it they might have support in India they still get the same training as non-Indian support.

As for names, I figured you may not want your name mentioned but its certainly not against the rules to mention it feel free top mention your own name all you want. Just thought might be no harm removing it for your own privacy.

Anyway this is getting off topic now if there's further concerns start a thread in feedback.

Back to UTV discussion....

Also can't understand the problems or even the comment about slow response, granted I'm only with them about two weeks but everything they've said they';ve done.

They issued me with the user/pass when I called advising my line was in sync even though Eircom had not passed the order back to them yet...many ISP's wouldn't do this.

They confirmed via e-mail within a matter of minutes that my PSTN services had been moved to UTV from Eircom even though they said I should have gotten a letter.

I've asked NTL to confirm stuff with me and I'm still waiting on e-mails :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

HMMM, i am with UTV for the last 2 years, it takes ages to get connected but when you do the speeds fine, i cant say i have ever had any problems with them.

Well, except for the fact that instructions on how to set up the broadband thingy was useless, i had to get a techie in to do it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Back to UTV discussion....

Also can't understand the problems or even the comment about slow response, granted I'm only with them about two weeks but everything they've said they';ve done.

They issued me with the user/pass when I called advising my line was in sync even though Eircom had not passed the order back to them yet...many ISP's wouldn't do this.

They confirmed via e-mail within a matter of minutes that my PSTN services had been moved to UTV from Eircom even though they said I should have gotten a letter.

I've asked NTL to confirm stuff with me and I'm still waiting on e-mails :)

That is odd Cabaal,
    I've been with UTV for years and although I haven't had too many problems with them (they were my only option when I moved to my curren house 4 years back) on the occasions when I have looked for support I've had very very few responses within a timeframe I'd consider resonable, of course they've replied far quicker than Eircom ever did.....
    But I think it's great if things have improved, it would be about time.....

I remember when I signed up first everything came through pretty quickly, but when I moved house I had a tonne of problems.....

I'm just hoping that this time around they pass on speed increases to their customers, if not I'll just have to leave them.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement