Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No "L" Plates

Options
  • 30-06-2008 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

I travelled from Drogheda to Julianstown this morning, about 4 or 5 miles of busy road, and didn't see 1 L plate. either the message is hitting home or people are just not bothering to display them

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

I would imagine people are just taking the L plates off. I mean what are the chances of getting pulled over and having your licence checked, when you've got no L plates up as opposed to having L plates, if your alone in the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

i think this is the plan for everybody. If you don't display your plates and then drive carefully and properly, the chances of a garda pulling you over and checking your licence is tiny. Mind you if you're caught not displaying them, i thinks it's a hefty fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I imagine a lot of Micra/Corsa/Polo drivers will be pulled in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I imagine a lot of Micra/Corsa/Polo drivers will be pulled in the next few weeks.

And Yaris! :)

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Optimus Caesar

Minimum fine of €1,000 (rsa.ie).
    That's hefty enough.
    People will no doubt chance it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thats_life

fair play to the 'L' driver that does leave their sticker up cos the gardai will be hunting for them for this week and maybe next week but then the hype will be over and things will be back to normal.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭donhughberto

That's hefty enough.

Minimum 1,000 really. That would put enough people off with a few of those making the papers. I was thinking it would be a minor fine or warning first hmm.

Just took a spin around small town in Donegal. normally see plenty of L plates. I counted 2 included my own. Is new law in today or does it start tomorrow as i drove to work presuming tomorrow. I was gonna break for a few days or a week and see what happens.

If they make examples it would prob keep me off the road. I applied for three tests. Missed last one by one grade 2 for parking :). So i guess i passed till i parked, stupid really.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Minimum 1,000 really. That would put enough people off with a few of those making the papers. I was thinking it would be a minor fine or warning first hmm.

No minor fines or warnings I'm afraid. A friend of mine decieded to take down his L-plates and got caught driving to work in the early hours of the morning. He's not driving long so it wasn't hard to spot the learner.

He got his car impounded and got slapped with a €1000 fine, points on his license and has to pay a daily fee for the car taking up space in the impound lot. He can't get his car back untill he pays the fees, which is building quickly, and has a fully licensed driver with him to pick up the car.

I've absolutely no sympathy for him. I've noticed alot less L-plates around lately. All my neighbours seemed to have "passed their test" in the last 2 days too. These people have been on provisionals for about 5 years. I hope they get caught too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I noticed a reduction in the number of L stickers in the car park in college this morning, normally a sea of L's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

I saw a good few traffic gards around aswell. I suppose its a good thing. Im on a permit, I just dont like this 2 year accomplace thing. have no problem with the fine for driving unacompanied. Ive a feeling itll last for a few weeks then well start seeing the L plates creeping out again. this 6 months wait is pure boll*x too. at least let us take a test iff we fail we fail like.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Anyone read the Sunday Independent? The Gardai are essentially saying that they won't enforce it to any great degree and will leave it up to the individual Garda...so you could get someone who does not want to do the paper work and not bother, they say they have no space to inpound the cars (Dublin anyway)....plus if you are called up to court and for every L plate driver that get's done is brought the court, the courts will not be able to handle them....un-officially most guards are saying that they will go soft for the next 6 months....

Anyway, I am an L plate driver, left the car at home today and go the bus, which is fine for the summer as the schools are off, I plan to only use my car for when I need to do a shop every two weeks, the supermarket is 5 minute drive away...so that is all I will risk....

Also all this 'it is down to 8 weeks to get a test' - well not for me and for most people I spoke to, I have mine in August 14th in Swords, I applied in April....that's more like 18 weeks.....In any case, 8 weeks is not even acceptable, it should be possible to get one within 2 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Just as info

Its a inimum fine of 1000 for driving unaccompanied, there can also be an additional 1000 added for failing to display L plates.

So anyone driving unaccompanied and failing to display L plates is 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Shazbot wrote: »
    No minor fines or warnings I'm afraid. A friend of mine decieded to take down his L-plates and got caught driving to work in the early hours of the morning. He's not driving long so it wasn't hard to spot the learner.

He got his car impounded and got slapped with a €1000 fine, points on his license and has to pay a daily fee for the car taking up space in the impound lot. He can't get his car back untill he pays the fees, which is building quickly, and has a fully licensed driver with him to pick up the car.

I've absolutely no sympathy for him. I've noticed alot less L-plates around lately. All my neighbours seemed to have "passed their test" in the last 2 days too. These people have been on provisionals for about 5 years. I hope they get caught too.

Man that seems completely over the top and excessive... and a complete waste of everybodys time and money.... not sure what right do they have to impound the car either

I know they can impound the car if there is no tax on it but dont see how they can impound it cause your mate has no L plates, the car i assume was road worthy and had up2date tax/insurance/nct

Hell even when you get pulled over for drink driving they have no right to impound your car or even keep you locked in the cell (unless ur so drunk your a danger to yourself) so to do it for no L- Plates is absolute rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

eh thought the law didn't come into effect til midnight tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭eddiehobbs

dade wrote: »

Thats true for second provisionals, for everybody else its at the discresion of the guard

crapmanjoe wrote: »
    Man that seems completely over the top and excessive... and a complete waste of everybodys time and money.... not sure what right do they have to impound the car either

I know they can impound the car if there is no tax on it but dont see how they can impound it cause your mate has no L plates, the car i assume was road worthy and had up2date tax/insurance/nct

Excessive or not, it worked. He has himself and his friends scared to drive alone again. The car was insured, taxed and nct'ed. He got what he deserved.
    Hell even when you get pulled over for drink driving they have no right to impound your car or even keep you locked in the cell (unless ur so drunk your a danger to yourself) so to do it for no L- Plates is absolute rubbish

Agreed, but it's about time garda start being more agressive with driver's breaking the law.

It does, but he's on a learner's permit. More than enough reason to punish him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Thats harsh poor fellow

Red Alert wrote: »
    I noticed a reduction in the number of L stickers in the car park in college this morning, normally a sea of L's.

Seems to be more chancers that not. I know 4 neighbours whose Ls have disappeared overnight. I am driving today but tomorrow i will walk. I walked for many years and i could do with exercise anyway. Work is 15 minutes walk so no big deal.

I know people who travel 50km to work so i would feel for them. The test needs to be quicker. I applied for 3 this time. Happy to get them around the same time if i do. I am sure i am ready this time. Still the laws are there to be enforced and i will be browsing for storys all week of those people hit with fines etc.

Its a choice isn't it. But for me 1,000 is a fair wallop of cash for a 15 minute walk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Caroline19

In all fairness the government and Gardaí delayed implementing this law for 6 months to give people the opportunity to get their licences sorted...
    There's no point complaining because their isn't even a long waiting list to sit your test, 6-8 weeks...The fine is a good idea, will make L drivers thnk before they go on the road. If there caught they end up woth no car!!! And whose fault is that???

Its a choice isn't it. But for me 1,000 is a fair wallop of cash for a 15 minute walk.

Nice to see some people are getting the message. Sick and tired of reading people on this forum complaining about how unfair it is and that they will remove the plates etc.

Caroline19 wrote: »
    In all fairness the government and Gardaí delayed implementing this law for 6 months to give people the opportunity to get their licences sorted...
    There's no point complaining because their isn't even a long waiting list to sit your test, 6-8 weeks...The fine is a good idea, will make L drivers thnk before they go on the road. If there caught they end up woth no car!!! And whose fault is that???

I agree but lets say one fails the test. Thats 8 more weeks. BTW 8 weeks is an estimate. It more like 12 weeks for most people i know in donegal. So 2 fails in test means 6 months. There is plenty of nervous people who can't get it together under pressure. Its a fact. I applied for 3 tests so i might get them all around the same time. I would be happy to do them back to back if i failed one :). I don't know if anybody else has booked more than one at a time?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Optimus Caesar

The 2nd provisional change comes into effect tomorrow but I'm fairly sure its always been an offense for a learner driver not to display L plates.

Nice to see some people are getting the message. Sick and tired of reading people on this forum complaining about how unfair it is and that they will remove the plates etc.

But i am in my 30s and only a new driver. Never needed it. Just on 2nd and just driving on my own right now so it feels as though some others got to benefit while i didnt.

I will be happy if i don't see dead babys on the front page of my paper because a young lad felt he can overtake a convoy of cars. I would like to see everybody tested every 10 years. The worst drivers have full licences imo. Most would not pass test as it stands.

I am happy to stick to the law and await my test.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,361 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

That's hefty enough.

and if the L drivers crash the insurance company wont cover them

thats if they dont have the L plates up

i think the L drivers should bring the driving test paper with them confirming they have sent away for the test

and if the L drivers crash the insurance company wont cover them

Heres what quinn say on that statement :) L plates would mean they prob wouldnt cover it but i didnt ask this.

Policy Number:GEI/QMP/*******

Dear Mr ODonnell

Thank you for your e-mail dated: 26th June 2008

I would like to confirm that yes, you are covered. Going forward we will
    continue to review our policy and will take guidance from the Insurance
    Federation of Ireland. However you should note that the Gardai may still
    prosecute you if you are a provisional licence holder driving
    unaccompanied.

If there are any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards
    Clare McCarroll
    Administration Department
    Quinn Direct Insurance
    Phone: 0845 850 0845 UK & NI
    1890 89 1890 ROI

But i am in my 30s and only a new driver. Never needed it. Just on 2nd and just driving on my own right now so it feels as though some others got to benefit while i didnt.

I will be happy if i don't see dead babys on the front page of my paper because a young lad felt he can overtake a convoy of cars. I would like to see everybody tested every 10 years. The worst drivers have full licences imo. Most would not pass test as it stands.

I am happy to stick to the law and await my test.

Couldnt agree with ye more, good example. Im driving along in my instructors car, An L plate on wheels basically. He is teaching me pedal control (as evryon has to do) Im doing 55 in a 60. Now going along grand, few trucks actually pass me out, no problems, next thing this numpty is BMW 5 series comes up behind me. now I can see the whites of his eyes in my rear view, and hes beeping and flashing at me. lucky enough there was an unmarked car behind him that pulled him over, but it just shows that not all young lads are nut jobs, and its a fierce generalisation. Im in louth, most accidents here are either caused or involv northern cars or eastern europians.... sweet fa of them are young. of course ye get the odd young lad but for evry young fella involved in a crash theres 2 or 3 that doesnt involve a young fella.

Id much rather see a crackdown on drink drivers then L drivers who have all their papers and and are waiting for a test. why not make it that ye get 20 lessons and if your instructor deems you fit to drive then ye can get a special request to do the full test. its the 6 month wait on this permit thats really annoying me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I would like to see everybody tested every 10 years. The worst drivers have full licences imo. Most would not pass test as it stands.

That would be crazy! It is bad enough with lots of provisionals trying to sit tests, but if they started forcing people to take a test every 10 years it would be mental! Mainly because almost everyone would fail (due to the test being so anal about small habitual things that people just pick up when they are are driving longer). So would these people need to get lessons again? Would they then be suddenly put off the road until they passed the test?
    That idea would be a disaster in my opinion!

Leave it as it is. That is, if you don't renew your license before it expires then you are forced to resit. Because if the person can't be arsed renewing it, then they more than likely aren't driving much/don't care, in which case they probably need to re-sit the test anyway.
    And people who get a load of penalty points are obviously bad/dangerous drivers and they also need to resit. But forcing everyone to resit.......! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That would be crazy! It is bad enough with lots of provisionals trying to sit tests, but if they started forcing people to take a test every 10 years it would be mental! Mainly because almost everyone would fail (due to the test being so anal about small habitual things that people just pick up when they are are driving longer). So would these people need to get lessons again? Would they then be suddenly put off the road until they passed the test?
    That idea would be a disaster in my opinion!

so basically what yer saying are drivers are at there best just after getting their lessons!!!! Small habitual things could be the reason you fail in the 1st place, whats the point in having a test if yer gonna just pick up bad habits after it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement