Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No "L" Plates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I dont know what you are suggesting will happen, how will finding out what cars learner drivers drive help? How can they determine if a parked car is being driven illegally?

Parked cars are not relevant here, a database would help decide which people to stop at a checkpoint and which to wave through, reducing the strain on police resources.

It is not a question of a police state, unlicenced driving is a vastly greater problem here than in other countries and some strategy is needed to change this situation. When there is seen to be a proper effort to catch the offenders, the problem will be greatly improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

DRice wrote: »
    this post is made up the law aint in force yet... and Shazbot you are the type of person I despise. The test is ridiculous because no one drives like that. also the public transport system is a joke so its madness to make people get 2 hours bus journeys in the rain when they live 20 minutes in the car from work.

Obviously you're not familiar with our current laws. The guy was on his 3rd provisional, as previously stated, and got caught. Yes, the punishment was harsh, but that's life

Despise? Really? That's abit unnecessary. The test is a pretty simple one, and people should drive like that. I'm guessing you can't and have failed the test. If you don't like public transport, walk or get a bike. Wouldn't hurt you to vent some frustration with exercise.
    I hope YOU get caught next time you speed/drive recklessley/use your mobile while driving/break a red light

It's a good thing I obey the rules of the road and this will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

Shazbot wrote: »
    Obviously you're not familiar with our current laws. The guy was on his 3rd provisional, as previously stated, and got caught. Yes, the punishment was harsh, but that's life

yer but that is generally not the punishment but i guess the unfortunate law is there
    Despise? Really? That's abit unnecessary.
    sorry that was unnecessary, but I do resent your "i hope they get caught comment"
    The test is a pretty simple one, and people should drive like that. I'm guessing you can't and have failed the test. If you don't like public transport, walk or get a bike. Wouldn't hurt you to vent some frustration with exercise.
    would you walk from Lucan to Loughlinstown?

It's a good thing I obey the rules of the road and this will never happen.
    he who has not sinned case the first stone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

I am a learner driver, and wile I dont believe these laws will be enforced, I believe that they should be.

The reason being this: Im a good driver. A very good driver. I know Im a learner, but only because Im waiting to take my test. I know I will pass first time. And the reason for this? Because I have had a full licence holder in the car with me from day 1.

Now I admit that I dont always have him there with me, and I also admit that I dont keep my L's up. But I am acutely aware of what Im doing on the road, and more importantly what is going on around me.

My brother has been driving the same length of time as me, and got lessons "off a friend" who didnt even have a full licence herself!!! :confused:

Needless to say, he's a crap driver and has failed his test twice. See the thing is good driving isnt keeping to the left hand side, and making sure to stop at red lights, and not cut-out on roundabouts. Although this is important too. It is about being able to deal with the unexpected, being able to judge what other road users might do. You need to be able to know what the car 5 cars ahead of you is about to do, dont just keep an eye on the diver ahead of you, and trust that he's looking out for obstructions.

I know it sounds sad but it really is all about expecting the unexpected, no matter how crap those ads are.

I hate the new laws and the selfish part of me that wants to continue driving hopes theyre not enforced (which I dont think will happen)
    But my sensible side can see that there are clearly people out there that shouldnt be, and alot of them are learners.

Although I must add that full licence holders can be worse somehow. Apparently, the pink licence means you can do what you want. Take for example a driver who parked their car in a garage perpendicular to the pumps and then went in to browse.

Who browses in a garage!!! And a small garage in the country at that, so no-one could get anywhere near the pumps!! Like WTF lads!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

peanuthead wrote: »
    But I am acutely aware of what Im doing on the road, and more importantly what is going on around me.

And thats imo the most important part (Other than the obvious been able to drive)

On a few occasions I was over taking two cars in the "slow lane" and all of a sudden the car ahead of me pops out in front of me to over take the car ahead of him. Just goes to show you that alot of "legal" road users dont care about whats going on around them. Has happened a good few times too.

Not saying its all but damn some of these "legal" drivers shouldnt be on the road, and I dont think I need to give reasons as you can go out to any road and witness it yourself.

Saying that I think L drivers are more considerate of other people around them, and wont take risks etc. I just think they get a bad doing because they are learning. Any driver is dangerous, L driver and full liecence drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

peanuthead wrote: »
    Im a good driver. A very good driver. I know Im a learner, but only because Im waiting to take my test. I know I will pass first time.

I love your confidence, so endearing...

DRice wrote: »
    sorry that was unnecessary, but I do resent your "i hope they get caught comment"
    Well don't break the law and you won't have to get caught. Fairly simple really.

would you walk from Lucan to Loughlinstown?

No i wouldn't, but i would cycle it.

he who has not sinned case the first stone
    Never have been religous, but atleast get the quote right. But I'm not stupid enough to break the rules of the road and put someones life in danger. They're called rules for a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Disturbing news from today's Indo

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/thousands-of-learners-cancel-test-despite--new-ban-1424707.html

Extract:

"We're finding in recent weeks that people are calling up at the last minute and cancelling, saying 'Oh my God, I didn't think I'd get my test and I'm not ready'," he said.

"Around 14,600 people have already been in touch to defer their test until the end of the summer, despite the fact they were banging the door down trying to get a test.

"We're also finding, unfortunately, that one in five are not turning up, often citing the reason that they're not ready. Some people are turning up and it's apparent they are not prepared for the task at hand at all."

There are 335,000 people with a learner permit, of whom 122,000 have applied for a test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I agree but lets say one fails the test. Thats 8 more weeks. BTW 8 weeks is an estimate. It more like 12 weeks for most people i know in donegal. So 2 fails in test means 6 months. There is plenty of nervous people who can't get it together under pressure. Its a fact. I applied for 3 tests so i might get them all around the same time. I would be happy to do them back to back if i failed one :). I don't know if anybody else has booked more than one at a time?

If they can't get it together under pressure to do their test then maybe they shouldn't be driving around alone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

There should driving test centres on other towns/cities where there is none.

The waiting times for a test is around 12 - 15 weeks and 20 weeks in some cases this needs to be reduced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Learner driver on her own today on my way to work and everyone at newlands cross was looking at her giving her a dirty look. It was funnier when she got stopped up at the next set of lights by a traffic corps copper. I wonder what the out come was, hopefully one less ignorant driver on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

mondeo wrote: »
    Learner driver on her own today on my way to work and everyone at newlands cross was looking at her giving her a dirty look. It was funnier when she got stopped up at the next set of lights by a traffic corps copper. I wonder what the out come was, hopefully one less ignorant driver on the road.

Wow L drivers suddenly become the most hated people on the road overnight? I drove to work with my L plates on this morning and I couldn't care if anyone was throwing me looks. Its either give up the job and sit at home waiting for the pack of clowns in the RSA to send me a test date, or continue on as normal. As the RSA isn't paying my wages, I know what I'll be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Im waiting on my test at the moment, I took down my plates this morning, couldnt be arsed dealing with a cop who would go and make a show of me if I had of had L plates in the window.

I think ill print out confirmation of my test and if some cop gives me grief ill show him my waiting on my test.

Its all I can do, ive to travel a good bit to get to work....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mondeo wrote: »
    mondeo - a post like that serves no purpose whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

DarkJager wrote: »
    waiting for the pack of clowns in the RSA to send me a test date
    Are you on a 1st Learner Permit? When did you apply for a test?

DarkJager wrote:
    As the RSA isn't paying my wages, I know what I'll be doing.
    ....and remember, that the world doesn't owe you a living.

Are you on a 1st Learner Permit? When did you apply for a test?

....and remember, that the world doesn't owe you a living.

2nd provisional, failed 1st test and re-applied in early April...still no test date recieved. The world doesn't owe me a living at all, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let the slackness of the RSA impact me financially. Its stressful having to bend their new rules like this already, but I have no other option until I get my test date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Defenestrate

iRock wrote: »
    Have you ever drove a car with a provisional license unaccompanied by a full licensed driver (that met/meets relevant criteria applicable to Irish Law at the time)?

Nope, never. I learned with an instructor and didn't fancy driving round on my own as I felt unsafe. (Which I was!)
    In a perfect world we would all have our full licenses and tests completed, there would be no accidents and we'd all be like the poster above... perfect.

Aww, shucks :o:)
    IMO the opinion of both posts above is nothing more than an attempt to feel superior. An effort at the "I'm better than you card". I perceive this posts as coming from people who have nothing better to worry about, people that probably think about this more than they should and people that are bitter.

Well that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I can assure you I don't look down on learner drivers, I was a learner myself only a few years ago and everyone has to start somewhere. However, the operative word here is learner, they just aren't safe to go driving round on their own as they aren't qualified drivers. Cars are dangerous you know?
    Whatever the reason for the attitude, it is very childish.

No u r :p
    If you have your full license and have passed your test then good for you.
    If you dont there is no need to judge.

Licence or no licence, I use the roads whether I drive on them, take the bus on them or only cross them on foot. I have every right to judge that unqualified drivers are probably unsafe to be on their own.
    Are you a driving instructor? (possible)
    Are you qualified to make judgment on other peoples driving skills? (if so, I would be very interested in taking the course you took)

No, I'm not an instructor and I don't believe I yet have enough experience to instruct either. What I do have is a full, clean licence with 2 going on 3 years no claims and a zero accident history. I'm a safe driver and I have the right to expect that others will try and be safe too, at least by passing their test. That's my opinion anyway, I'm not going to keep repeating it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd favour retesting at maybe 10 year intervals too. people get lazy, and develop bad driving practices and habits.

As regards the "No L plates" crowd I've no sympathy tbh. I hope they are dealt with in accordance with motoring laws. They had plenty of opportunity take and pass the test. More than once too if need be.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Ah balls. I passed my test 1 year and 3 odd months ago. (First time thank you very much :))
    But my girlfriend has only gotten a provisional, and this new law means that I, the fully licenced guy, dont count as a full licence holder for the purposes of obeying the law because I havent held the licence for a full 2 years. Nuts. That puts a cramp on getting my SO a full licence, and allowing me the luxury of having a drink and being driven home :)

That puts a cramp on getting my SO a full licence, and allowing me the luxury of having a drink and being driven home :)

It wouldn't make a differance if you had you full license for 50 years and she was on a provisional. The law states that the accompanying full licensed driver needs to be sober and aware. The accompanying driver is meant to be teaching the learner, that's why they're there. Not sure what a garda would do in this situation but I'd say both people in the car would suffer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Yeah I know. Thats what I am saying.
    IF you read the quote you posted, I did mention getting my SO a FULL licence!!!
    No problem with the staying sober till it happens.
    I actually enjoy the instructing part of it. Its just hard to give good advice, without giving your own perception of what good advice is.
    For me, I would probably exit roundabouts faster than a learner would, or take off quicker at lights, maybe be more prone to overtake given a safe overtaking distance. When the biggest priority for a learner is to make sure that they are able to wait for the right time for them and to create a calm environment in which they can actually think about the safest way of getting there when learning, say, clutch control in traffic, rather than getting there the quickest way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

That's my opinion anyway, I'm not going to keep repeating it.

Oh... but you have.

Thanks for the constructive feedback - and taking the time to answer my questions.

Yeah I know. Thats what I am saying.
    IF you read the quote you posted, I did mention getting my SO a FULL licence!!!
    No problem with the staying sober till it happens.
    I actually enjoy the instructing part of it. Its just hard to give good advice, without giving your own perception of what good advice is.
    For me, I would probably exit roundabouts faster than a learner would, or take off quicker at lights, maybe be more prone to overtake given a safe overtaking distance. When the biggest priority for a learner is to make sure that they are able to wait for the right time for them and to create a calm environment in which they can actually think about the safest way of getting there when learning, say, clutch control in traffic, rather than getting there the quickest way.

A sorry, misread the statement. I'm in a similar situation as you, was teaching my girlfriend how to drive but i don't have my license long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭token56

It wouldn't make a differance if you had you full license for 50 years and she was on a provisional. The law states that the accompanying full licensed driver needs to be sober and aware. The accompanying driver is meant to be teaching the learner, that's why they're there. Not sure what a garda would do in this situation but I'd say both people in the car would suffer.

All true, you also have to be insured on the car if you are accompanying them, so in summary the accompanying driver must have a full license for 2+ years, must be sober/in a fit state to drive themselves at the time and must be insured on the car themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Will unemployment rise because of this???????

How many are affected by this and need their cars for work??????

JP Liz wrote: »
    Will unemployment rise because of this?????
    How many are affected by this and need their cars for work??????

Don't be rediculous, people are just looking to justify breaking the law by claiming they need to drive. They simply want to drive for convenience sake.

If people really need to get to work and pay the bills, they can use a number of different public transport services, buses, trains, darts, luas, taxis. Or simply walk or cycle.

If the buses, trains or luases don't run at the times need, most companies will pay for a taxi for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Don't be rediculous, people are just looking to justify breaking the law by claiming they need to drive. They simply want to drive for convenience sake.

It must be great to live in dublin...

If people really need to get to work and pay the bills, they can use a number of different public transport services, buses, trains, darts, luas, taxis. Or simply walk or cycle.

Its all well and good so...if you have public transport near you that convieniently travels to your place of work. Public transport instead of my car would involve waking up at least 3 hours before work, getting 2 seperate buses just to get to work and then repeating the process again at the end of the day. So no, public transport isn't an option for me.

jhegarty wrote: »
    It must be great to live in dublin...

Yes it is. I'm pretty such the other pale counties also have bikes. Although us city boys wouldn't know much about your hardships right?

Stop looking for excuses and get on with it.
    Its all well and good so...if you have public transport near you that conviently travels to your place of work. Public transport instead of my car would involve waking up at least 3 hours before work, getting 2 seperate buses just to get to work and then repeating the process again at the end of the day. So no, public transport isn't an option for me.

Wow, should have thought about that before taking the job shouldn't you. It's still an option, it just involves getting up earlier. You just have to make the sacrifice of going to bed earlier and waking up earlier if you want to keep your job.

Again, people looking for excuses to justify their situation. There is always another option, it's just one you refuse to take.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

First job I had was 5 miles from my house in the midlands and had to cycle to and from work. Couldn't afford taxis and no public transport was available. Had to do it through all types of weather.

Eventually had to bite the bullet and move into town. It was that or look for a job closer to home, which wasn't a possiblity.

If you can read this, you're too close!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement