Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No "L" Plates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 daisy-girl

Shazbot wrote: »
    Yes it is. I'm pretty such the other pale counties also have bikes. Although us city boys wouldn't know much about your hardships right?

Stop looking for excuses and get on with it.

ya cycling 60miles out to Conamara every morning would be a dawdle!! With only one bus service a day to some places - wat am I complaining about ...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Stop looking for excuses and get on with it.

I have to agree... your totally right.

I have ordered my helicopter and I hope to have it within the next two weeks.
    The waiting time for the license in it isn't as long and I'll also be able to fly the 35 miles to work in much shorter time frame --- Unaccompanied I must add

This will in turn give me more time to practice my driving so drivers like you will be safe on the road.

I think we all know there is only one group of individuals that can deal with the new L Plates/ Provisional License issue.

team-america-world-police-1.jpg

L plates.... F*ck Yeah! - I can see it now!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I think its a stepping stone to a reform of how people learn to drive in general. Its unfortunate that many people fall through the cracks because of this. But people are getting their provisional licences now in secondary school, and the govt. has a huge amount of work to do just to put in place a workable licencing system that makes sure that most drivers that pass in the future are competent, with the financial constraints in place, with a road infrastructure that needs improvement, and with public transport services being beyond a joke.
    Perhaps, in the light of this new law, companies could also help out L drivers if there is a need for cars to get to work. Paying for a few lessons, arranging car pooling, requesting the test be given as quickly as possible, things like that? Might be a good idea to suggest this.

I think its a stepping stone to a reform of how people learn to drive in general. Its unfortunate that many people fall through the cracks because of this. But people are getting their provisional licences now in secondary school, and the govt. has a huge amount of work to do just to put in place a workable licencing system that makes sure that most drivers that pass in the future are competent, with the financial constraints in place, with a road infrastructure that needs improvement, and with public transport services being beyond a joke.
    Perhaps, in the light of this new law, companies could also help out L drivers if there is a need for cars to get to work. Paying for a few lessons, arranging car pooling, requesting the test be given as quickly as possible, things like that? Might be a good idea to suggest this.

I totally agree - i also think there should be some sort of programme introduced in secondary schools where all student must at least have the theory test done before they leave school ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

daisy-girl wrote: »

ya cycling 60miles out to Conamara every morning would be a dawdle!! With only one bus service a day to some places - wat am I complaining about ...:rolleyes:

I'll say what I said to a previous poster with a similar situation. You should have thought about the law before you took your job. It's a very simple thing to do. Again, I'll repeat myself. Stop looking for excuses to justifiy your law breaking. When do you start working 60 miles away? Was it enough time to apply for a test and pass? Most companies will provide a letter to shorten the waiting time to a few weeks for people like you. But I'm sure you didn't avail of this opportunity

Oh and iRock, the same applies to you.

Jeez, the amount of people who have recently joined this forum to fight the tyranical government is unbelievable. Stop feeling like your being punished, infact you were quite privalged to have the opportunity to drive on your own in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

My other half did her theory test and achieved 40/40. She then passed her driving test at the first attempt back in January.

So, she is quite legally entitled (and considered safe enough) to drive her own car, with or without passengers.

Why then is she not considered 'safe' enough (because of the 2 year rule) to sit in her own passenger seat to accompany our provisional driver son for at least another year and a half?:confused:

The law is an ass.

I'll say what I said to a previous poster with a similar situation. You should have thought about the law before you took your job. It's a very simple thing to do. Again, I'll repeat myself. Stop looking for excuses to justifiy your law breaking. When do you start working 60 miles away? Was it enough time to apply for a test and pass? Most companies will provide a letter to shorten the waiting time to a few weeks for people like you. But I'm sure you didn't avail of this opportunity

Jeez, the amount of people who have recently joined this forum to fight the tyranical government is unbelievable. Stop feeling like your being punished, infact you were quite privalged to have the opportunity to drive on your own in the first place.

Actually I did get a letter from the company, i applied for my test almost 9 weeks ago, I start working the end of July and I haven't got a test date yet!!!!!

Thankyou ... well no I did not have enough time to apply for and pass the test.
    I've applied for my test 18 weeks ago... I'm sick of waiting so I applied last week at another test center. (Although If I can get the helicopter first, I may not bother!)

If you are referring to me... well I've been a member of boards and adverts for a reasonable amount of time and I've been fighting the Government for longer.

I hope to run the country someday :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Disturbing news from today's Indo

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/thousands-of-learners-cancel-test-despite--new-ban-1424707.html

Extract:

"We're finding in recent weeks that people are calling up at the last minute and cancelling, saying 'Oh my God, I didn't think I'd get my test and I'm not ready'," he said.

"Around 14,600 people have already been in touch to defer their test until the end of the summer, despite the fact they were banging the door down trying to get a test.

"We're also finding, unfortunately, that one in five are not turning up, often citing the reason that they're not ready. Some people are turning up and it's apparent they are not prepared for the task at hand at all."

There are 335,000 people with a learner permit, of whom 122,000 have applied for a test.
    Thats a disgrace, their are people who are ready for the test who are still waiting for the call, and these people cancel because they arent ready. Yet they are still driving on our roads. That says alot for them.
    mondeo wrote: »
    hopefully one less ignorant driver on the road.

Hopefully you :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

iRock wrote: »
    I've applied for my test 18 weeks ago... I'm sick of waiting so I applied last week at another test center. (Although If I can get the helicopter first, I may not bother!)

If you are referring to me... well I've been a member of boards and adverts for a reasonable amount of time and I've been fighting the Government for longer.

I hope to run the country someday :cool:

18 weeks is awfull, expecially without a notice of a test date.

I wasn't refering to you, i was refering to people who joined in may-june 2008 with <10 posts, all of which are in the learning to drive forum.

Good luck with your plans to overthrow Cowan, shouldn't be that hard.
    Actually I did get a letter from the company, i applied for my test almost 9 weeks ago, I start working the end of July and I haven't got a test date yet!!!!!

So you started working nearly 1 year ago. Your were driving alone, so I'm going to assume you're on a 2nd provsional license. This would give you atleast 2 years driving experience. And yet, you only applied 9 weeks ago. Seems if you were really determined to get your license you would have applied once you took the job. you could have sat and passed your test in that time. But instead, you chose to ignore the test untill it was too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Nobody here seems to look at the bigger picture.

Remember years ago,nobody would wear their seat belt?It was uncool,etc etc,i wouldnt let someone into my car if they refused to put their seat belt on today

What about the smoking ban?When that came in,there was uproar,imagine if you walked into your local today and lit up a cig,you would be the centre of attention pretty quickly.

It is unfortunate for people who are currently on their provisionals/learner permits when this has come in.
    Yes,i know people need their cars for work/college but this measure has been brought in for everyones safety
    1/2 years from now,it will be accepted that people on L plates will always be accompanied,hopefully this will encourage people to get their licence earlier,get lessons,gain experience on our roads.

Hows this going to affect our roads?Well,new drivers will be better educated/instructed and hopefully this will cause less accidents/deaths on the road.

(hope i got my point across) :)

jackncoke wrote: »
    Nobody here seems to look at the bigger picture.

You seemed to have missed me saying the same thing as you a few pages ago. But you're right, safer drivers in the future, safer roads. Wether that will be the case, only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Did you?my dearest dearest apologies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Don't be rediculous, people are just looking to justify breaking the law by claiming they need to drive. They simply want to drive for convenience sake.

If people really need to get to work and pay the bills, they can use a number of different public transport services, buses, trains, darts, luas, taxis. Or simply walk or cycle.

If the buses, trains or luases don't run at the times need, most companies will pay for a taxi for you.

I agree with that, if people live far from work then get yourself a scooter or a small motorbike.... Or maybe find alternative accomodation localy to your far away job until you are qualified to drive a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Don't be rediculous, people are just looking to justify breaking the law by claiming they need to drive. They simply want to drive for convenience sake.

If people really need to get to work and pay the bills, they can use a number of different public transport services, buses, trains, darts, luas, taxis. Or simply walk or cycle.

If the buses, trains or luases don't run at the times need, most companies will pay for a taxi for you.

OK I'll start cycling on Monday and i might be in work for Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

mondeo wrote: »
    I agree with that, if people live far from work then get yourself a scooter or a small motorbike.... Or maybe find alternative accomodation localy to your far away job until you are qualified to drive a car.

Yes because I'm going to fork out an extra 300 quid a month for a place to stay, on top of car finance (which doesn't stop when you're not using the car), insurance and my other bills.

I really wish people would think through what they are saying. Its all well and good telling people to go and buy motorbikes or relocate when its not coming out of your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

DarkJager wrote: »
    Yes because I'm going to fork out an extra 300 quid a month for a place to stay, on top of car finance (which doesn't stop when you're not using the car), insurance and my other bills.

I really wish people would think through what they are saying. Its all well and good telling people to go and buy motorbikes or relocate when its not coming out of your pocket.

Renting somewhere that's convenient for work is what most people would do (including myself). Of course it is a help when you're not thick enough to invest money in something which you're not legally entitled to use. You can't expect the law to account for that kind of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The accompanying driver is meant to be teaching the learner
    To offer advice based on their experience.

Shazbot wrote:
    I'd say both people in the car would suffer.
    That is not correct. The learner driver would be deemed to be driving unaccompanied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Stark wrote: »
    Renting somewhere that's convenient for work is what most people would do (including myself). Of course it is a help when you're not thick enough to invest money in something which you're not legally entitled to use. You can't expect the law to account for that kind of thinking.

And the reason I'm not legally "allowed" to use it, <SNIP>. So, putting aside my "legality" to drive a car, why should I bring massive extra expense on myself, when I've already paid the 38 quid and haven't yet recieved the service I've purchased???

• Advertisement

token56 wrote: »
    you also have to be insured on the car if you are accompanying them, so in summary the accompanying driver must have a full license for 2+ years, must be sober/in a fit state to drive themselves at the time and must be insured on the car themselves.
    Prehaps you could eleborate on the need to be insured as it's news to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Thats a disgrace, their are people who are ready for the test who are still waiting for the call, and these people cancel because they arent ready. Yet they are still driving on our roads. That says alot for them.

Easily solved.

The test will cost €200.
    If you don’t show up lose this.
    If test is abandoned like you show up with broken lights or no L plates, you lose it and give a deserved slap for being a muppet! :pac:

If you sit the test, pass or fail then you get your money back
    DarkJager wrote: »

Motorbikes are cheaper to run and far cooler :cool:

micmclo wrote: »
    Easily solved.

The test will cost €200.
    If test is abandoned like you show up with broken lights or no L plates, you lose it and give a deserved slap for being a muppet! :pac:

That has been suggested many times. I would make it €538 for a test and agree with the rest of you post.

That way, people will take the privilege of driving much more seriously and will ensure that those who genuinely need their car will apply for a test, prepare properly and do it without cancelling it. The waiting lists would shorten dramatically and could be down to a week or so. It would also cut out multiple applications which give a false reading to the stats.

Easily solved.

The test will cost €200.

+27

..........and you are 13 times more likely be killed than in a car!

..........and you are 13 times more likely be killed than in a car!

I think you missing the point here.

motorbike-2-copy.jpg

Way way cooler!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Easily solved.

The test will cost €200.

++++++++++ 1000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

That has been suggested many times. I would make it €538 for a test and agree with the rest of you post.

Where did you get such an exact figure from?

38 + 500 = 538

How dya like those apples?

• Advertisement

Where did you get such an exact figure from?
    iRock wrote: »
    38 + 500 = 538
    Yup!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement