Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No "L" Plates

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Will do....

Its just frustrating that people are hanging out here going on about it.

I mean if you want to drive - then drive
    If you don't want to drive - then don't drive

Whats the point in crying about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Stark wrote: »
    a) You're not allowed drive a motorbike at 120mph. You're still expected to obey the speed limits.

b) The law can only deal with general cases. You can't expect them to make a special law for someone who "showed up with wrong insurance disc for first test, was sick for second test and is currently waiting on third test", even if they are a great driver.

Please read read the thread a little closer. I did say I would never drive at those speeds. So I don't need your little telling off there thanks, I've managed to do that particular test already. ;o)

My issue was that although I signed a form saying that the car was roadworthy and insured, and offered to confirm this I was pretty much blanked at this offer.

My point being that the car could just as easily have been stolen. As long as it had all the right documentation the dudes ass was covered.
    If with the extra time we had at that stage I could have confirmed my insurance, despite signing the form already.

I'm not asking for a "special law". Just that maybe if these guys were allowed flexibility there would be a lot less of a waiting list then there is now.

But then that seems to be the culture with civil service office types. My take on it is the whole incentive system for the poor fwckers doing these jobs has turned them into complete jobsworths. But that's another story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

If they cant pass their tests, they're not safe enough to go round driving on their own.

Bull****, someone who fails a test can drive around safely, you fail for not reversing around a corner and all of a sudden you some sort of danger to everyone cop on, the amount of people that **** themselves in test situations but can go from a to b in a safe maner no problem.

The amount of people on their high horses is unreal and a lot of them probably drove alone years ago when there was no fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

Re:He drives she dies making a poster sick.

That's good. It shows it's working.

Not true. Makes me sick because it's another in a long line of publicly financed advertisements attacking people who have a driving licence and their reproductive organs on the outside.

Another thing that makes me sick about it is that it offers no real advice. How about ads containing tips for safer driving? Ads explaining rules of the road.

The "attack the young male" attitude is counter productive. It makes any driver who is not a young male think they're not a problem.

And before everyone starts with the statistics, I already know. But would it not be better to improve the standards of every driver instead of just one minority?!!??!

Why continue to have the gentleman in his 40's think it's ok to force a motorcycle into the middle of the road with oncoming traffic because he decides overtaking on the inside is safe driving.*^

Or the woman in her 50's with a car full of kids who'll
    tailgate a motorcycle cause hey, if she runs into the back of him sure the kids are all right. Who cares if he's in a wheelchair or dead, his choice to ride a bike!*

*personal experience
    ^twice (two different cars, same driver profile)

• Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Another thing that makes me sick about it is that it offers no real advice. How about ads containing tips for safer driving? Ads explaining rules of the road.
    There are at least 2 ads I can think of that do just that. One is explaining how and when to overtake. The other explains how to exit a road onto a road on the right.

But yet a number of drivers seem to still have a problem with it.

Agree with the idea of a more educational ad campaign though.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

koth wrote: »
    There are at least 2 ads I can think of that do just that. One is explaining how and when to overtake. The other explains how to exit a road onto a road on the right.

Another good thing to advertise would be roundabouts. It's a roll of the dice on those things with other people.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I was chatting to a few folks who ALWAYS use the outside lane in the roundabout, even when going over the 180 degrees ie turning right. I always assumed it was just ignorance, laziness, arrogance or asshole driving.
    They actually said that it was to protect their car. ie specifically, as you are approaching your desired exit and in the inside lane, the transition to outside lane to exit is a dangerous point at which you are quite likely to get hit.

My argument (I'm not really easy-going on bad drivers) was that it was stupid, put others lives in danger and gave other drivers the wrong visual cues.
    But they vehemently stated that they would continue to do so as its "safer." Oh if the population of the world is 6 billion, why don't I have 6 billion fists?

I would love to see a really involved ad about how to use a roundabout.
    But those that dont know or dont want to use a roundabout correctly will continue to do so until I finally catch up with them all and kill them, burying them in a ditch near ranellagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I was chatting to a few folks who ALWAYS use the outside lane in the roundabout, even when going over the 180 degrees ie turning right. I always assumed it was just ignorance, laziness, arrogance or asshole driving.

Sometimes it is ignorance. I was given a bollocking by a garda before after he tried to take the 3rd exit off a roundabout after entering in the left hand lane. I had to jam on the brakes as he cut me off while taking it, he mouthed off at me from the car, then chased after me and pulled me over. After I explained to him that he was the one in the wrong, he just gave me the "watch where you're driving in future" line and skulked off.

koth wrote: »

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Another good thing to advertise would be roundabouts. It's a roll of the dice on those things with other people.

True koth I remember that now, but my point is that the money is better spent on that than patronising and alienating a particular bunch of road users.

And god yeah! Somebody bring back that roundabout ad that was on about 15 yrs ago!!!
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=S4eYAFL6dwA&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭DjDangerousDave

studiorat wrote: »
    Please read read the thread a little closer. I did say I would never drive at those speeds. So I don't need your little telling off there thanks, I've managed to do that particular test already. ;o)

My issue was that although I signed a form saying that the car was roadworthy and insured, and offered to confirm this I was pretty much blanked at this offer.

My point being that the car could just as easily have been stolen. As long as it had all the right documentation the dudes ass was covered.
    If with the extra time we had at that stage I could have confirmed my insurance, despite signing the form already.

I'm not asking for a "special law". Just that maybe if these guys were allowed flexibility there would be a lot less of a waiting list then there is now.

But then that seems to be the culture with civil service office types. My take on it is the whole incentive system for the poor fwckers doing these jobs has turned them into complete jobsworths. But that's another story.

So now you want another law to be relaxed. Driving a car without displaying a valid insurance disk. These are laws that we all have to follow. Just because it does not suit you you feel there should be an exception made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

They actually said that it was to protect their car. ie specifically, as you are approaching your desired exit and in the inside lane, the transition to outside lane to exit is a dangerous point at which you are quite likely to get hit.

My argument (I'm not really easy-going on bad drivers) was that it was stupid, put others lives in danger and gave other drivers the wrong visual cues.
    But they vehemently stated that they would continue to do so as its "safer." Oh if the population of the world is 6 billion, why don't I have 6 billion fists?

I would love to see a really involved ad about how to use a roundabout.
    But those that dont know or dont want to use a roundabout correctly will continue to do so until I finally catch up with them all and kill them, burying them in a ditch near ranellagh.

If you had 12 billion hands, you could hold them steady while punching them,

To me, the problem is also the signalling. When people are coming off a roundabout they never sodding signal correctly, so you are stuck waiting for them to see if that right turn they are signalling for making off the thing is actually the left turn directly in front of you, or whether they are going to bother signalling at all, as that might only be for the little people. Generally learners seem to know that particular rule of the road, to a larger extent that the non plated population at large.

• Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

True koth I remember that now, but my point is that the money is better spent on that than patronising and alienating a particular bunch of road users.
    Figured thats what you meant. Agree with the sentiment.

Have actually have had women drivers tell me they're a better driver purely because I'm male. The fact that one of them was done for speeding and used to be prone to drink-driving wasn't a factor in their minds.:rolleyes:

If you can read this, you're too close!

If you had 12 billion hands, you could hold them steady while punching them,

To me, the problem is also the signalling. When people are coming off a roundabout they never sodding signal correctly, so you are stuck waiting for them to see if that right turn they are signalling for making off the thing is actually the left turn directly in front of you, or whether they are going to bother signalling at all, as that might only be for the little people. Generally learners seem to know that particular rule of the road, to a larger extent that the non plated population at large.

If you have a BMW or whatnot them signal bulbs are like hens teeth, the lads are all savin' them for Sunday. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Generally learners seem to know that particular rule of the road, to a larger extent that the non plated population at large.

Too true. Learners and newly licenced drivers are better in general at signalling their intentions to other drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

The "attack the young male" attitude is counter productive. It makes any driver who is not a young male think they're not a problem.

Without a doubt!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

One guard to be seen today on the road in a unmarked car, he pulled a nice shiny audi and gave him him a speeding ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This thread is spiralling out of control and in circles. So at this stage i'm going to lock it.
    Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement