Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where can Spain go from here?

• 30-06-2008 11:29am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

Now that they've finally shed their perennial bottlers tag and have done so with a young team, where can they go from here?

Casillas is only 27, Ramos is 22, Iniesta 24, Fabregas 21, Silva 22, Torres 24, Villa 26, Alonso 26, Cazorla 23, and of course there's Xavi, who given his style of play, should have at least 2 more tournaments left in him at 28.

Will they be favourites for WC2010? Could Spanish football be entering into a golden age?

I think they need a few of their defensive youngsters to come through but with of a core of Torres, Fabregas, Iniesta and Silva all likely to get better over the next 2-4 years, things are certainly looking very good for Spain....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I don't think they'll win the WC, I reckon Argentina will win it.

Spain are definitely one of the best in the world though, and I'd love to see a final of them vs the argies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

IMO defensively they are weak. They need Ramos to perform for them as he does for Real.
    They need to replace Senna probably.
    Xavi leaving isn't the end of the world, as Fabregas can take over.

Favorites from Europe, but imo Argentina are the favorites for the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

At the moment Spain play a lot like a big South American team. Lots of attacking flair and midfield magic, but a bit lacking in the back due to their flamboyant style of play. Certainly would be good to see them come up against Brazil or Argentina and see how their skills compare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

PHB wrote: »
    Xavi leaving isn't the end of the world

Where's he going? :confused:

IMO Fabregas will fill the roll currently occupied by Senna, i.e. in front of the back four. It's where he plays for Arsenal and as far as I know there aren't too many young up and coming holding midfielders in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Where's he going? :confused:

IMO Fabregas will fill the roll currently occupied by Senna, i.e. in front of the back four. It's where he plays for Arsenal and as far as I know there aren't too many young up and coming holding midfielders in Spain.

Fabregas plays in front of the back four for Arsenal ? Since when ? Flamini played there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Fabregas is much more similar to xavi than senna neil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Last season yeah but in the immediate aftermath of Viera's departure he filled that void very well and has played there a bit since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Well thay need a new Manager first of all, isn't your man stepping down?
    They will need to replace Senna defo if he retires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Yeah he's going to Fenrabache apparently; there's been the typical rumours about him luring some Spanish stars there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

tomred1 wrote: »
    Well thay need a new Manager first of all, isn't your man stepping down?
    They will need to replace Senna defo if he retires.

they have a new manager, Vicente del Bosque.

• Advertisement

el rabitos wrote: »
    they have a new manager, Vicente del Bosque.

Is that true?

Yep, he hasn't been in a job since Real, was it?

He went to Turkey after that afaik.

edit.

Yep, He went to manage Besiktas for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

DesF wrote: »
    Is that true?

yeah his name has been banded about by the spanish media for the past 2 or 3 months now, not sure if its actually been confirmed by the national team just yet though. Guillem Balague has been talking as if its fact ...
    Anyway, I felt yesterday’s win represented the beginning of the world cup. This victory gives us a platform to build upon and Spanish football can now go and conquer the world: it should be the start of an era, just like France had theirs. However, it will have to be with a different manager. Goodbye Luis Aragones, you have created something special. Welcome Vicente del Bosque, half your job is already done.
    - Guillem Balague

something official will be announced in the next couple of weeks i imagine.

good choice too imo. interesting to see of he recalls raul and guti though. hope not.

Yeah, I'd see no reason for him to upset a winning formula...unless he's an idiot.

Spain don't need Raul or Guti though.

They couldn't win with them in the squad.

Yeah, well just by virtue that he used to manage Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Being one of the older members here I have to say this Spanish team is one of the best ever, their passing and possesion play was wonderful to watch since half time in the Russian match they have completely outplayed both the Russians and the Germans. This was by far one of the best tourneys ever rivalling 1984 and the brilliant French Team that year and 1970 with that fantastic Brazillian side, it has certainly restored my faith in what has become again the beautiful game. The common link between the 3 tourneys and you can throw in 1986 and Argentina is that the best footballing sides won out. Another thing that impressed me about the Spanish was that there was very little theatrics near the end and in the whole tournament, instead of time wasting and diving etc they kept going for the elusive second goal and the scoreline really flattered the Germans and their smiling captain Ballack.
    This Spanish team will be hard to beat if they can keep it going their passing is so accurate that it wears down the opposition and having backed them to win this I'm going to reinvest on them for the World Cup in South Africa or wherever it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Well looks like they were ready to conga all the way out of the stadium :D

http://sport.rtl.de/fussball/euro2008_79464.php?media=video2&set_id=16097

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

LMAO! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Last season yeah but in the immediate aftermath of Viera's departure he filled that void very well and has played there a bit since.

Gilberto ... Viera was a central midfielder. Most people forget because he was such a good tackler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

DesF wrote: »
    I don't think they'll win the WC, I reckon Argentina will win it.

Spain are definitely one of the best in the world though, and I'd love to see a final of them vs the argies.
    That would be some game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

As Sid Lowe pointed out in his Guardian blog "Never, ever before has a result mattered so much. It is hard to do justice to just how big last night's result was. One that buried the Spanish jinx for good. One that suddenly and completely changed the identity of the Spanish national team from one that has never won anything (somehow 1964 never seemed to count, even here) and never did anything to one that has a European Championship record bettered only by Germany- two victories and an appearance in the 1984 final. One that points to a glorious future, that seems to vindicate Spain's entire footballing philosophy. One that changed history and mentalities, in Spain and outside."

At the moment they they have probably the best team in the world on paper, but they're also playing like the best team in the world for a change. Like many pundits, I can't recall a major championships where one team has looked so dominant and so superior to the rest of the competition.

It's hard to say if the competition will have improved in two years time but it's very unlikely this team will fall by the wayside. Most of them are very young with potential to improve, and there's a lot of competition for places outdside the squad. Their soon to be new coach, Vicente del Bosque, is one of the most successful managers in the history of Spanish football so it's all looking good for a European / Word Cup double, just like the great French side of 98 and 2000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I was impressed by Senna time and time again this tournament. The Brazilian was a great addition to the Spanish side. They'll certainly need someone that intelligent and defensively sound to step up.

I would also make a point for a possible need for some new defenders. I think Capdevilla and Ramos offer quite a lot going forward, but Puyol and Marchena aren't quite tall enough, and the defensive unit could probably be a little better organised. Saying all that, they looked very composed and solid all tournament, I just think that group could play better or be improved slightly.

Midfield is superb and relatively young, with a raft of those players likely to be very experienced at the highest levels of football before the next WC. Iniesta, Fabregas or Xavi would be an awesome playmaker for any team, all three is an embarrassment of riches.

In terms of strikers, Villa and Torres offer very effective players, with Villa and utterly lethal striker, and Torres offering great pace and flair.

I don't think they're the best in the world, but I doubt there's anyone better. Certainly they can play anyone in the world without fear, and no-one looks particularly stronger. Should be a good few years to follow Spain, and I hope they do well because I love how they've played football lately. As a neutral, they've been the perfect team. I wanted them to win Euro 08 and they duly obliged in scintillating form, long may it continue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

to answer your question Spain will qualify for the WC and reach the quarters and get ko by Paraguay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I had Spain backed for the Euro's but I think they were lucky that while they haven't got a world class defence, neither did anyone else. From midfield to attack they're the best in the world no question but they need to improve their defence. I think a lot of teams will feel they need to improve their defence after the Euros so I doubt the world cup will be anything like the Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

A worry for Spain is that they don't like "long ball" teams. They didn't cover themselves in glory when playing Northern Ireland and Germany had a great chance near the end of the final when they just launched a long ball and got a lucky break.

It's just down to the central defenders. They don't deal with it. Could cost em.

That's the only weakness I can see. Great keeper. Midfield is as so good at keeping the ball it's unreal. Strikers are great aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

sorry, but Xavi what were you on when you wrote this. :confused: Vieira was never a holding midfielder, he always had Petit or Gilberto behind him. remember this was a guy who regularly liked to take up the positions of a centre forward in his runs...

I've been seeing a lot of people say similar about Vieira of late... madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Not to intentionally open a can of worms but I think England may provide a considerable stumbling block for Spain's aspirations for the next WC. Ironically, it was them who did it after Spain broke their duck back in 1964. With a new, and finally world class no-nonsense, coach at the helm they'll be an entirely different prospect.

Spain are a great side from midfield on, and in goal but the back four leaves a lot to be desired. And unless someone like Pique really comes into his own in the next two years I think they won't have the metal to do it again.

Bear in mind they only overcame a shocking Italy side, a tired Russian side thay had already punched above its weight, and a German side team that for once, should have been written off a long time previously!

I love the style that Spain have brought to the table, and it's great to see them shed their bottlers tag. I just don't think world domination is on the cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

AFAIK no european team has won a WC outside of Europe. Theres been a fair few attempts at this stage. Think SA WC could go the way of Japan/Korea with loads of shock due to oppressive conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I would also make a point for a possible need for some new defenders. I think Capdevilla and Ramos offer quite a lot going forward, but Puyol and Marchena aren't quite tall enough, and the defensive unit could probably be a little better organised. Saying all that, they looked very composed and solid all tournament, I just think that group could play better or be improved slightly.

They have the likes of Pique rising through their ranks now, so maybe in 2 years time there will be some big CB's that can give Spain some stability in the air...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I'll back them again when it comes to the WC. I made 400 quid from backing Sapin to win and Vila as top scorer so it would be rude not to back them again.:D

Advertisement