Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan, Bremore Castle

Options
  • 30-06-2008 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭

Does anybody know the developer of Bremore Castle - I know they are Comac, Ive been trying to find address but not sure. Is it Comac Ireland based in Meath !!??

My heating has packed in, based on engineer from Bord Gais it wasnt installed correctly. Chemicals were not flushed through the system which has lead to limescale building up in the system causing the pipes to get blocked.

Gonna try insurance claim but doubt I will get anywhere...

Then its off to small claims court !! Not letting them get away with this the system is only 4 years old. Will cost about €1000 to get fixed !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Hi Rockdrummer,

Have you tried contacting Cumisky's? They were the estate agents who dealt with the estate initially weren't they? I'd imagine they have contact details for the developers.

You've scared me into getting someone in to look at our heating system now before it packs in as well...

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 infinitejest

Does anybody know the developer of Bremore Castle - I know they are Comac, Ive been trying to find address but not sure. Is it Comac Ireland based in Meath !!??

My heating has packed in, based on engineer from Bord Gais it wasnt installed correctly. Chemicals were not flushed through the system which has lead to limescale building up in the system causing the pipes to get blocked.

Gonna try insurance claim but doubt I will get anywhere...

Then its off to small claims court !! Not letting them get away with this the system is only 4 years old. Will cost about €1000 to get fixed !

personal message sent to OP. Good luck getting it sorted.
    Infinitejest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

Thanks for the replies.

You should check your boiler, as the engineer could not even service the thing. The cupboard that it was in was blocking access to remove the front of the boiler, so Im gonna have to take a look myself and see if I can sort this or else carpenter (more money)...

thats life...

No - no carpenter! Same thing happened to us when we got our boiler serviced last year. There are just a couple of screws that you need to undo at the top to take the top piece off (not sure what to call it, the overhang decorative type piece). Anyway - it is very easy and takes about five minutes. When the Bord Gais guy came out to us, he insisted that it couldn't be done and to get in touch with the builders - but I insisted he stay while we attempt to remove the surround. And sure enough five minutes later he was able to get at it. It took us about 30 minutes to get it back together afterwards.

Im really pissed off now, cause he said the same thing to me about the cupboard. He came to the conclusion about limescale build up blocking the heating system without even checking much. He was only there for about 20 minutes !! I dont know how he could tell so quickly.

When I had a problem with the plumbing I had an independant plumber out who said that their was a design fault with the waste pipe and I would need to get a pump installed. Which turned out to be b*llix. Architect and plumber came out and had it fixed in a couple of hours.

Paying good money to supposedly get a professional out to give you professional advice but ya cant trust any of it. What do I do get a second opinion and fork out more money !!

• Advertisement

Not sure what to advise you. Calling the Bord Gais guy out again might be a complete waste of time. Do you know anyone locally who could take a look at the system for you, or would know enough about heating systems to give you some advice? I'd only be guessing as to what you should do. Maybe you should try the Home and Garden forums - sometimes the people on there have good advice.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is worth remembering that the CaCO3 content of a lot of out water in Balbriggan is crazily high and will damage appliances.

For example -

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/EnvironmentAndWater/CustomerServices-WaterDepartment/AdviceandUsefulInformation/WaterHardness/

Also,I know there were a lot of problems with boilers in Moylaragh,have a look at their neighbours.ie thread for more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Hey,
    Also live in Bremore, have been here for over two years and on to our third kettle already. Has anyone installed a water filtration system on their mains to reduce/remove calcium carbonate? Am worried about our washing machine and electric shower and thinking of getting one installed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I use citric acid to descale the kettle and shower head and a calgon equivalent in the washing machine.

Will eventually get something installed to do the whole house.

Though with the works going on on the water supply at the moment,the hole situation may improve.

Thanks for all the replies.

Getting detailed report from Bord Gais, then gonna try insurance first then small claims court - sue the b*******

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Hey,
    Also live in Bremore, have been here for over two years and on to our third kettle already. Has anyone installed a water filtration system on their mains to reduce/remove calcium carbonate? Am worried about our washing machine and electric shower and thinking of getting one installed.

Same as us, 3 kettles in 2 years, it's really bad alright. Can't even have a proper cup of tea without bits at the end resembling an undissolved disprin :(
    Think the washing machine is on the way out as well.
    Are these water filtiration systems expensive and how do they work? Is it just like putting something on to the tap that filters it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 dotts1977

I live in Trimleston and had my boiler serviced not too long ago and the guy from Bord Gais told me my overflow pipe was completely blocked with cement and could cause an explosion! Said it wasn't installed right and that a lot of people in Balbriggan (he mentioned a lot of estates off Hamlet Lane) were having the same kind of problems.

As for the limescale, I can't stand it anymore!! I think I'll have to use the calgon in my washing machine as the clothes just don't seem to be as clean anymore and the tea and coffee etc just tastes rotten these days!
    Rant over!

Advertisement