Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

And so it begins....

Options
  • 30-06-2008 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Ok, everyone has said (more than) their fair share of saying what they think about the "new" rules etc etc etc but at the end of the day, as from 00.01 this morning these rules are in whether we like it or not and whether we agree or nor or will follow the rules are not, they are there now!!!

Post here if you have been stopped with or w/o Lplates, were u fined or let go through? If you got fined, was it €1000? What happened after being fined, could you drive home alone??? Where were you stopped? At what time? (What was the gardai stance?)

Lets get first hand experiences here now instead of heresay and "what people think"...

happy accompanied driving! :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭donhughberto

xeroshero wrote: »
    Ok, everyone has said (more than) their fair share of saying what they think about the "new" rules etc etc etc but at the end of the day, as from 00.01 this morning these rules are in whether we like it or not and whether we agree or nor or will follow the rules are not, they are there now!!!

Post here if you have been stopped with or w/o Lplates, were u fined or let go through? If you got fined, was it €1000? What happened after being fined, could you drive home alone??? Where were you stopped? At what time? (What was the gardai stance?)

Lets get first hand experiences here now instead of heresay and "what people think"...

happy accompanied driving! :(

Its tonite for 2nd provisonal and the same for everyone else. So in effect tomorrow is the dawn of a new era. We will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Yes - it will be interesting to see how the gardai handle it. According to some media reports they will initially have a "softly softly" approach for the first few months. But it seems apparent that the ultimate goal of the RSA is for us to adopt a system more in line with the rest of Europe. I presume this will eventually mean a compulsory number of hours of lessons (including classroom theory) followed by a test at the end of them.

For me I am waiting to see how strictly the enforcement will be before I decide whether I should buy a car and practice myself (accompanied when possible). If it looks like they are being strict, then I will have to rely on a few extra lessons plus practice in a family member's car.

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

I cant see the guards being too strict on this, as if a guard stops you, and your driving unaccompanied.
    A garda will have to bring you to your destination/nearest garda station in your car or get another guard to bring your car to the station, so thats a lot of resources for just one driver.
    Then multiply this by the number of people driving on their provisional licenses, there would be no-room in the garda station car park for any garda cars.

Its the usual directives that ministers come up with to try and reduce accidents on the roads, generally good idea, but no follow through on how to fully implement it :confused:

Road safety needs to be thought in school, Theory test should be done in Secondary school as part of curriculum, cost would be negligible considering massive saving that would be made by less accidents on the road by educating people.
    A more stricter enforcement of Learner permit drivers, then.

I think if you pass your theory test and then apply for the test, carry the documentation with you in your car you should be safe enough if your driving mostly accompanied, as at least your showing intent to do you test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

is it taught as a school subject in america. wud that not be a good idea for here. It would be more usefull then bloody religion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭donhughberto

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    is it taught as a school subject in america. wud that not be a good idea for here. It would be more usefull then bloody religion

An excellent idea. But i think insurance for school instructors would have to be massive giving the reckless clientele :). Some people grow up in a house where no parents drive, hence normally drive a few years after everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

An great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

not in all schools it varies from state to state plus the age you can start driving in america is lower - as low as 14 in some states. Most people old enough to drive in ireland are distracted by their leaving cert to worry about learning to drive. Maybe they could introduce the theory test for younger years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

xeroshero wrote: »
    Lets get first hand experiences here now instead of heresay and "what people think"..

I think any boards user who gets stung by them will be fairly quick to be on moaning about it regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

ztoical wrote: »
    Most people old enough to drive in ireland are distracted by their leaving cert to worry about learning to drive. Maybe they could introduce the theory test for younger years.

Well when it comes to employment a full driving licence can be as essential as a leaving certificate.
    You are right, they should do a theory test in 4th year or something too.
    Scrap religion and use that timeslot. Far more useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

you can do your theory test once you turn 15, it lasts for 2 years, so you could really do it in third year if you were really organised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

is it taught as a school subject in america
    I wouldn't be holding the USA up as an example. Although it varies from state to state their standards are even lower than ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

+1 - At least it'd be factual and beneficial.
    An excellent idea. But i think insurance for school instructors would have to be massive giving the reckless clientele.

Who's fault is that? Theres no reason insurance should be so high/strict in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

The american style idea is a good one IF implemented/followed correctly but thats unlikel6y to happen here! The vast majprity of young Americans can npot wait to start driving, I don't think there is such an interest here....

Anyway, this thread was meant as a post your "garda experience here"! :rolleyes:

ztoical wrote: »
    not in all schools it varies from state to state plus the age you can start driving in america is lower - as low as 14 in some states. Most people old enough to drive in ireland are distracted by their leaving cert to worry about learning to drive. Maybe they could introduce the theory test for younger years.

Yep, I used to know a girl from North Dakota who was driving SUVs at 14. Sounded creepy to me.

Advertisement