Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Airport Relocation

Options
  • 30-06-2008 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Taken from: http://www.galwaynews.ie/4161-airport-talks-relocation

Galway City Tribune

Airport talks on relocation

Fri 27th June 2008 Decision to be made within weeks

A MAJOR decision on the possible relocation of Galway Airport from Carnmore is expected in a matter of weeks, following consultations on a comprehensive consultants’ report.
    At the moment, ‘key stakeholders’ in the airport are studying a technical assessment of the site in Carnmore which also includes potential new sites, as well as projected increases in passenger numbers.
    Earlier this year, management at the airport charged a team of consultants with drawing up a report on the strategic operation of the facility until 2030. The key aim of the report is to look at potential new locations for an airport – in the past, sites at Oranmore and Carrowbrowne have been touted as possible sites.
    Joe Walsh, Manager of Galway Airport told the Galway City Tribune that he is currently in ongoing consultation with “various key stakeholders” in the airport on the findings and this would involve a number of discussions in the next few weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

This is interesting, if it does happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

If they do decide to move it they will certainly ruffle a few feathers. Aer Arann, there main (and only at the moment) carrier have just spent god knows much on new hangers at Carnmore. Have'nt they just up graded the runway lighting and surfaces, a new turning area at the end of Runway 27? I think that, if at all possible, they should expand the present airport. After all, there is a major road system being built paralell to the airport that will cut across fields further down from the end of runway 27 and they would have only got that land by compulsary puchase I would of thought, so you would think that land between that road and the airport would be rlatively easy to obtain now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

If they do decide to move it they will certainly ruffle a few feathers. Aer Arann, there main (and only at the moment) carrier have just spent god knows much on new hangers at Carnmore.

As far as I'm aware the two new hangars were built by the Airport and only one is leased to Aer Arann.

In terms of extending the runway there is only about 200m between the 26 threshold and the road, the road could not be run under an extended runway as I believe this is no longer allowed by JAR for fear of our Arab brethern blowing up said bridge. The lands immediately west of the 08 threshold were, to the best of my knowledge, CPO'd manny moons ago - it is quite likely that they would now be statute barred from buling on foot of that CPO. A fresh application would be necessary. Extending the 08 side would involve huge expense as you are moving further down into a naural valley as you move west of the runway. Also the size of the extension on the 08 side would be severely curtailed owing the row of houses that are perpendicular to the 08 threshold.

IMO it is quite unlikely that the airport will be moved. The first problem is where to move it? A site in Oranmore is effectively a non-runner owing to the new IDA park. Moving further away from the city you begin to question to viability of an airport in Galway at all given the extremely poor supporting infrastructure. If for example the airport was to move to Attymon (as has been mooted for several years), it would be quicker to drive to Shannon that it would to the new 'Galway airport'.

The most prohibiting factor will be cost. The cost of moving the airport in terms of legal, architectural, engineering and labour fees would be astronomical - and to what end? The airport isn't exactly a hive of activity. Granted, Aer Arann keep a stream of commercial traffic coming into Galway, however in the last year to eighteen months they have cut many routes and reduced the frequency of many other services. This time period has also seen the loss of other carriers such as FlyBe and the ill fated Euromanx. Given the soaring price of fuel it might not be long until Aer Arann are runningthe bare bones of a service into Galway.

Ronnie, firstly, I do know that Galway have runways 08/26, don't know what possessed me to say 27. I was under the impression that Aer Arann had those hangers built but can accept that you may well be right. I also understand what you are saying about the security reasons for under running any roads but I wasn't thinking of extending that way but out to the western endand I see your case about that aswell. So, its a new airport, Carrowbrowne, though? The area is very boggy out there isn't it? or are they going to build on the old landfill site?, suppose the main thing would be that it is flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Yea I have heard Carrowbrowne mentioned a few times. Generally speaking the land out there is quite boggy. I know Barna golf club was built on similar boggy land and it's sinking at the rate of a few inches a year - it would be interesting to put two miles of tarmac on that kind of terrain!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

No the hangar IS leased to aer arann. Lets just say from the horses mouth, so to speak, I heard that they are thinking of extending the 08 end. There is a dip just past the 08 threshold and if they continued out they would be a good 50-70 feet above the ground. Then, as has been done in a few airports, raise the ground(God knows theres plenty of earth dug out but those building the road!:p) and continue out over the road, presumably held up by a bridge, I was told that by somebody in operations at the airport who brought it up in conversation. I can't see it happening though, I like it the way it is, I dont want ryanair getting in tbh, they will get rid of aer arann who the airport needs big time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

one hanger is used by aer arann, the other by executive helicopters. I think it would be a good thing for the airport to be moved. It would
    then be capable of handling bigger planes and more airlines. I would love to see the likes of ryanair coming into galway, good for me, good for the economy! :) and of course there would be much more spotting to do!
    Anything definite will be years and years down the road though.

Another thing suggested is that they push out the 08 end to the south, then they're clear of the road and can extend, but I'm not sure if thats all gone down the drain now with the new motorway, I was told that back in October by a lad in air traffic over there, I really can't see them moving it from where it is, but stranger things have happened I guess and the area is becoming more and more airport unfriendly due to the motorway and other developments etc so it still cant be ruled out entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Would it really make financial sense, to built a brand new airport for Galway, when Shannon is only 40 mins away? All it needs is a proper road from Galway to Shannon.

Cosmo K wrote: »
    Would it really make financial sense, to built a brand new airport for Galway, when Shannon is only 40 mins away? All it needs is a proper road from Galway to Shannon.

It would, but more choice with the said new Galway airport....I'd be for the new road and the new airport ;)

• Advertisement

Cosmo K wrote: »

40 mins to Shannon? Shannon is a good 65-70 miles by road and even with a motorway all the way you'd be hard pushed to do it in 40 mins legally. I do see your point though. This is especially true when you think that there are plans to extend a raillink to Shannon from the proposed west coast rail link. Galway is almost exactly the same distance from Shannon as Kerry airport is from Cork and look how big Kerry airport has grown.

I still, however, want an airport in Galway and the more traffic that use it the better from an aviation enthusiast point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 G-CBHV

As above Shannon is about 85kms from Galway but remember a percentage of the population of Galway live on the 'shannon' side of Galway. Shannon is only 60kms from Ardrahan and 47 kms from Gort. Then knock is only 56kms from Tuam and 66km away from Headford.

Its great for Galway to have an airport but not sure of the sense of rebuilding elsewhere for a longer runway.

The fact is Shannon airport and Knock don't want us to build a longer runway. It's competition for them, 40% of Connaughts traffic is from Galway reidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Just checked it on the AA website, its 72 km from Oranmore to Shannon. Which means, provided there is a motorway, you could do the journey in 40 min, without breaking the speed limit. But I have to agree, Galway should have an airport. I just don't see the point, in having three big airports within a 100 mls in the west of Ireland. Knock Airport -Shannon =100.9 mls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jimmytuam

G-CBHV wrote: »
    Its great for Galway to have an airport but not sure of the sense of rebuilding elsewhere for a longer runway.

I tend to agree, in the current economic climate money should be spent improving road and public transport access to the existing airports. If the Atlantic Corridor is finished as planned, those north of the city will have the M17 to Ireland West, and south the M18 to Shannon, and the city will have 2 international capable airports with around 40 minutes (a fairly short commute by international standards) and the regional airport on it's doorstep which seems to do well as an Aer Arann base.

Shannon invested millions in infrastructure over the years and has a good selection of US and European connections. Knock have a new terminal and apron under way and jet services to most of the major UK cities and charter holiday destinations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

I'd be very surprised to see plans for relocation go ahead. Consolidation is the name of the game for the forseeable future in most walks of aviation. 5-6 years ago I could have seen it happening, but in the short term at least i would be very surprised to see this scale of development getting the green light.
    A couple more hundred metres of existing runway and keeping Arann sweet should be EICM's priority for now at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    A couple more hundred metres of existing runway and keeping Arann sweet should be EICM's priority for now at least.

How long is EICM and how many more meters would it need to handle 737 aircraft?

Latest Notam is showing Carnmore at 1289 metres, or 1349metres if you include the clearway.
    A0713/08 - DECLARED DIST RWY 26 CHANGED
    TORA 1289 METRES, TODA 1349 METRES, ASDA 1289 METRES,
    LDA 1212 METRES. 29 APR 16:18 2008 UNTIL PERM. CREATED: 29 APR 16:20 2008

A0712/08 - DECLARED DIST RWY 08 CHANGED
    TORA 1289 METRES, TODA 1349 METRES,
    ASDA 1289 METRES, LDA 1289 METRES. 29 APR 16:14 2008 UNTIL PERM. CREATED: 29
    APR 16:18 2008

Wiki says the 738 which ryan use needs 2450metres at MTOW.

EICM has a 1350m runway, it is notamed to 1289 now due to construction work, it will be a bit longer even when thats done but not much. EIKY has a 2000m long runway and that uses b738's and a 767 I think, definitely a b738 anyhow.

A 2000m long runway would be enough for ryanair to come in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

I don't know about re-location but it certainly could do with being widened and lengthened. Perhaps the move could simply be closer to the new road. In effect a parallel runway.

As to whether it's needed, I would tend to believe it's needed more than Connaught which was in effect built in wrong place for the wrong reasons and only works because oddly enough, the runway is long enough and wide enough to get jets in. EICM's runway isn't long enough or wide enough. I would say that if Galway was expanded it would probably damage Connaught. Galway is main population and tourist centre in the west now and growing. It's a destination like Kerry. Connaught is big runway on a hill in a bog.

Having said all that, I wonder if it will ever happen. The timing isn't right and Galway (city) has a habit of missing opportunities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

darragh-k wrote: »
    EICM has a 1350m runway, it is notamed to 1289 now due to construction work, it will be a bit longer even when thats done but not much. EIKY has a 2000m long runway and that uses b738's and a 767 I think, definitely a b738 anyhow.

A 2000m long runway would be enough for ryanair to come in

Sure 2000m is 6500ft equivalent to 16/34 in Dublin, or almost as long as 17/35 in Cork. Both of which can take lightly-loaded 744's (albeit only once in EIDW that I've heard of, a landing).

And the fact that they didn't build a turnaround pad on the 08 end and there are plans to raise the 08 end makes it possible to extend it making it a good 60 feet above the road-minimum. There are loads of concepts flying around the airport for a runway extension that I've heard(Pardon th pun:D) so I reckon it will be an extension.

Was it anyone from this site i seen spotting at carnmore this afternoon?

Was it anyone from this site i seen spotting at carnmore this afternoon?

Not me!

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Not me!

Two lads with binoculars near gate 2 they had the right day for it plenty on the ramp and in the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Two lads with binoculars near gate 2 they had the right day for it plenty on the ramp and in the air.

Damn it not me either, what was Airside/Airborne? Those 146's better still be around aint seen one over the city in over 2 weeks and im supposed to be going to AGP in one!!!!:p

Also the new proposed light rail syatem for Galway City has not one mention of connecting with EICM, what a joke they would clean up if they connected to EICM as Bus Eireann dont provide a service to EICM from the City Center and its 15Euro in a taxi..:mad: Id be out at EICM spotting every day if the GLUAS went out to it, il pay the charge.:)

Steyr wrote: »
    Damn it not me either, what was Airside/Airborne? Those 146's better still be around aint seen one over the city in over 2 weeks and im supposed to be going to AGP in one!!!!:p

Also the new proposed light rail syatem for Galway City has not one mention of connecting with EICM, what a joke they would clean up if they connected to EICM as Bus Eireann dont provide a service to EICM from the City Center and its 15Euro in a taxi..:mad: Id be out at EICM spotting every day if the GLUAS went out to it, il pay the charge.:)

Their still around......hear them regularly working shannon high level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Yea I have heard Carrowbrowne mentioned a few times. Generally speaking the land out there is quite boggy. I know Barna golf club was built on similar boggy land and it's sinking at the rate of a few inches a year - it would be interesting to put two miles of tarmac on that kind of terrain!

Knock is built on a bog. Dunno about the runway but the buildings foundations go down as deep as the buildings go high.

That runway could take (and has taken) a 747!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Steyr wrote: »
    A shuttle bus link to the Oranmore station(if/when it happens), would be realistic to aim for, tbh.

• Advertisement

A bus station outside even? its on a busy route into the city there...

Advertisement