Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax Query

Options
  • 30-06-2008 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi Folks,

Just a quick one...

I brought in a 318is from England and registered it June.
    I'm looking to tax it from July on as it was off the road for the last 2 weeks.
    This will be my first time taxing the car but it is registered (I have Irish plates).

Is it going to be on the old tax or new tax regime?

Thanks in Advance....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It will on the old CC based system on a pre 2008 car. New '08 cars are the new CO2 system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 shiznit

thanks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I dont think it matters if its been off the road or not, if its registered in June it gets taxed from june - i could be wrong but am nearly sure thats how it works whether its been off the road or not

hmm...but I wasn't driving it as I still had my old car.
    Can't you declare non use on the Tax form?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I dont think it matters if its been off the road or not, if its registered in June it gets taxed from june - i could be wrong but am nearly sure thats how it works whether its been off the road or not

unless the op got the gardai to officially declare the car as off the road then yes the tax will have to be back dated and paid from june

@shiznit,

you will have to go to the gardai to declare that the car was not in use

• Advertisement

Thanks for that folks....

But how could the car be off the road when it was brought to the VRT office? it was on the road then, thats why i thought I couldnt do it.

Can anyone answer this? Can you claim it was off the road the month you Vrt'd it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can anyone answer this? Can you claim it was off the road the month you Vrt'd it?
    How did it get to the VRT office? If it was driven then it was on a public road and therefore tax is payable. If it was brought on a tailer to the VRO then it would not be payable!

Excellent Kbannon, it was brought on a trailor......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

It's also not a requirement to bring the car to the VRT office either, provided they don't need to look at it (which was the last thing on their mind over the last few days).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

draffodx wrote: »
    unless the op got the gardai to officially declare the car as off the road ...
    That old misconception. The Garda does not declare your car 'off the road'. You do. The Garda simply witnesses your signature, then signs and stamps the form. This is so you can be prosecuted if it can be later proven that you made a false declaration!

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement