Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea Fishing In Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

lug will go from frozen to not in seconds, unless you keep it in a freezer bag on the way to the beach it will usually be defrosted and ready for use by the time your ready to cast.

I believe they can organise worms, fresh crab etc for you if you ask them in advance.

Can't point you to any good lug spots around cork i'm afraid, I tend to use rag when fishing around cork these days (easy enough to dig if you don't mind the smell / mess ), although I always use lug when further west.

Have a look at the southern fisheries board map,
    http://www.srfb.ie/fishing/sea/maps/YoughalArdmore.doc and
    http://www.swrfb.com/fishing/sea/cork.htm

it does include details of place to dig bait (though it may be 20 years out of date in some cases)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Popanddrop

jArgHA wrote: »
    Yeah I dropped in yesterday and it is a fantastic shop alright. I didn't see any live bait though, just frozen lugs (not cheap at €9), sandeel, mackerel & I think they had squid (no crab).

What is the best way to present frozen lug!? Does it need to be defrosted the day before going fishing or something?
    They normally have fresh peeler crab and rag in there, 1euro per crab.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pratheesh

Hi Paddybar,
    Thanks for that precious information. I'm gonna check the route out coming weekend. Found a small map of the area if anybody else is interested

http://www.crosshaven.ie/images/bigwalkmap.jpg

And jArgHA, I'm also working in Cork Airport Business Park.. Let me know if you ever need company for fishing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

@ pratheesh - sure I may drop you a PM some day to see if your into heading out somewhere

I tried my first ever beach fishing session last Saturday night at White Bay beach on the way to Roches Point. I arrived at twilight and threw in my first cast around 11pm after first discovering the joys of rigging defrosted lugworm in the semi-dark with a dodgy torch hold between the teeth.. The weather was totally calm, clear skies with a few wispy clouds and the sea was flat.

I spent the next 3 hours fishing, changing baits every half hour or so, which varied from just lugworm, to a cocktail of mackerel strips and lugworm to just mackerel strips (got tired of rigging lugs with bauit elastic & a flaky torch after a while). During this time I'm certain I had one bite, and there were other times where I was fairly sure I could sense nibbling, but I didn't catch a sausage :) After reeling back those times I did notice that the bait(s) had been eaten off the hook with just part of the lug left. I was using a 10 foot beachcaster with 1 hook & 2 hook paternoster rigs. The rigs had size 3/0 hooks, 50lib main line & 18lb snoods, with red beads above and below the connecting swivels, and I was using 4 oz. breakaway leads.

It was a mighty experience, regardless of catching nothing. I do have a couple of questions after my first escapade in beach fishing:

* how much bait elastic should one use when rigging defrosted lugs? should it be minimal or can you go all out and put loads of the stuff on?

* when you cast out how long do you wait for a bite until reeling back, putting on new bait/rig and casting out again?

* if you feel a nibble / bite do you just wait and hope the fish hooks himself, or do you pull the rod to try and force it?

* how far could one expect to cast with a 10 foot beachcasting rod with fixed spool reel, 18lb mainline and 4oz weight? I seemed to be only getting about 40-50 yard casts

jAH

* how much bait elastic should one use when rigging defrosted lugs? should it be minimal or can you go all out and put loads of the stuff on?

* when you cast out how long do you wait for a bite until reeling back, putting on new bait/rig and casting out again?

* if you feel a nibble / bite do you just wait and hope the fish hooks himself, or do you pull the rod to try and force it?

* how far could one expect to cast with a 10 foot beachcasting rod with fixed spool reel, 18lb mainline and 4oz weight? I seemed to be only getting about 40-50 yard casts

jAH
    Bait elastic usage depends on the size of the it and how soft it is, normally I dont put alot of elastic on when using frozen lug but it depends on the batch you get. For bigger fish the amount of elastic on the bat dosent seem to matter as long as its not covered in it.

Normally if you do not get a bite inabout 20-25mins then reel in and change the bait.

Depends, if the bite is solid then pick up the rodnd strike, if not then let the bite develope and then hook it.

Practice makes perfect and if you are just starting off you cantb expected to cast far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

I tried my first ever beach fishing session last Saturday night at White Bay beach on the way to Roches Point.

I bet you enjoyed the walk back up the hill to the car park

It was a mighty experience, regardless of catching nothing. I do have a couple of questions after my first escapade in beach fishing:

unless you are really stuck you are better off digging your own bait , its hard work but the results are great

i try to sit on my hands and leave the rod alone unless its a really strong bite

a 10 foot rod is a little short for distance casting but 40-50 yards will get you among the fish if the surf is up , most of the bigger bass are caught by novice anglers very close to shore

jAH

its good to see that you enjoyed the night even though you blanked, there is nothing like sitting on a dark beach and just enjoying being there ,as a lot of people say its called fishing not catching

true very true, also maybe a headlamp would be an extra for you to by it would free your hands and there cheap enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

pratheesh wrote: »
    Hi Paddybar,
    Thanks for that precious information. I'm gonna check the route out coming weekend. Found a small map of the area if anybody else is interested

http://www.crosshaven.ie/images/bigwalkmap.jpg

you're welcome.there are very big conger around the piers (I've seen 1 of 35Ibsand another of 40 taken there)and I also just remembered that at Graball beach itself there is good fishing for pollack,whiting and mackerel in the summer.although the best spot for the mackerel is over in Church bay

Hi Popanddrop..
    Tried going to crosshaven on tuesday. A pass is required to enter becoz of the cork week.
    is there anyother way to reach graball bay ? Really want to check the place out today evening ..

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

if you turn right before you get in to crosshaven on the carrigaline side,you can get up the back of the town and should be able able to get where you want the back way

or tell the roadblock you're home from work for the weekend and couldn't give a sh t about them f king boats(thats not my opinion,by the way,just a means to an end)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

oflynno wrote: »
    if you turn right before you get in to crosshaven on the carrigaline side,you can get up the back of the town and should be able able to get where you want the back way

or tell the roadblock you're home from work for the weekend and couldn't give a sh t about them f king boats(thats not my opinion,by the way,just a means to an end)
    Nah,you wont get in that way either.They will make you park about a mile out of the village and its another mile and a half to graball.best just wait till its over

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

Don't know if it was covered above but where's the best place for mackeral near the city?

I'm not sure where the best place for mackerel closest to Cork city is, but Ballycotton pier is very popular & gets plenty of mackerel at the height of the mackerel season. Cobh is also supposedly a good spot for the macks.

Kinsale Bridge isfishing well for mackerel.

when were you fishing at the bridge?
    i was there 2 weekends ago and there was sodall there

i normally do an hour at each side of high tide,is this the right time to hit the bridge or should i wait for the tide to turn?

Hi Guys,
    I'm looking to get a decent beach caster. But have no clue as to what to look for in the rod.
    Could some one tell me the ideal specs for one. I am thinking of a 13 foot rod. I hope thats enough.

Thanks

pratheesh wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I'm looking to get a decent beach caster. But have no clue as to what to look for in the rod.
    Could some one tell me the ideal specs for one. I am thinking of a 13 foot rod. I hope thats enough.

well to start with a 13 foot rod might be a little hard to handle if you are a newcomer to casting (just my opinion) , I suppose the first thing you should tell us is how much you are prepared to spend , if you want a fixed spool rod or a multiplier reel , and how much experience you have at casting , and what kind of fishing you would be using it for as well would be handy to know

fitz

apologies for the delay.

I've been fishing for a few months now. i use a 9 foot rod with detachable daiwa reel. I'm not sure what a multiplier is :)
    i would like to catch some ray's and anything else that takes an interest in my bait.

i've tried using my rod with mackerel as bait in Cobh, but the crabs finish the bait, as i cant cast it far enough. thats why i thought a longer rod might be helpful.

around 100 - 150 € will be comfortable .

yeah the crabs do like their mackerel , are you living in cobh? well you will get some rays in cobh but depends where you are fishing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Warhammer

i have been out on chartered boats in cobh a few times and great for conger,mackeral,and cod.
    I must go again some time.

• Advertisement

i was in kerry last week for 4 days on a mini holiday and was looking forward to hitting fenit pier with the kids

no way could we go anywhere with the rain
    the only dry day we had was the day we went to dingle aquarium,which was good craic,but i was tempted to bring some fish home with me in the wife's handbag

extremely frustrating trying to go fishing in the evening or at the weekends with the kids,or even on my own with the weather.

has anybody been down to the bridge in kinsale for mackerel?
    are they around?
    any other safe places to take 3 kids for a bit of fun?

The Kinsale Bridge is fishing well for mackerel I have heard at the moment from reliable sources, I would be hitting the spot myself to fill up with fresh bait for other shore species but since I am away I havent had a chance to fish it yet. If you are wondering about safe fishing spots around kinsale that is amoung the safest, the pier is ok, and so is the silly walkway if fished on the walk itself which will produce dogfish amoung other species.

i was down on the bridge in kinsale last night
    i caught 2 small yokes that wouldn't fill a cracker between them,one was a tiny pollack and the other looked more like a tiny bass

the guy beside me caught 1 mackerel and a few tiny yokes

the guy behind me caught 1 mackerel and loads of the little buggers

so not a great night
    high tide was half eight-ish

oflynno wrote: »
    i caught 2 small yokes that wouldn't fill a cracker between them...

lol I love yer description :D

:oWell it was definetly fishing well a while ago, plus mackerel run in shoals and on different parts of the bridge from time to time you could have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Ah shur I know that,but i just said i would report anyway in case any one else was there and caught loads:D:D:D

I might give it a bash next weekend depending on the tides, if not I will be trout fishing.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

if anyone is still having trouble finding a fish or two, i was down on the bridge over to hulbowline island, between the crematorium and the guardhouse, and there were a good few mackerel about and even a scad or six. plenty of sprat in the water too.

this was at night, fairly low tide.

mawk wrote: »
    if anyone is still having trouble finding a fish or two, i was down on the bridge over to hulbowline island, between the crematorium and the guardhouse, and there were a good few mackerel about and even a scad or six. plenty of sprat in the water too.

this was at night, fairly low tide.

hmmm wasn't hawlbowline island in the news recently for having a pretty serious toxic waste issue? not sure if I would be comfortable eating mackerel caught beside it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

hmmm wasn't hawlbowline island in the news recently for having a pretty serious toxic waste issue? not sure if I would be comfortable eating mackerel caught beside it

well they are the same mackerel youre going to catch in passage, cobh, crosshaven...

they all have to swim past hulbowline to get anywhere in the inner harbour

Advertisement