Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price's for spotlights

Options
  • 30-06-2008 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

Looking to get a sparks in to do some work in the house. Want 32 spots ( down lights) with 5 dimmers (one double dimmer) all brushed crome. Just getting totally different prices, one bloke said 1,200 another said 1,900 and have another bloke coming tonigh to price it. Is the 1,200 bloke using cheap stuff? is the 1,900 ripping me off? any help welcome?

Cheers Gaz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Hard to judge without seeing what's entailed. On a more important note, if you must go with the spots, ensure they are the fire-rated enclosed back ones. Including transformer, they should set you back around €22 each for purchase alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

a lot of the stuff wholesalers sell is very basic (but the lamps and traffos are good), but getting ones with their own transformer is always the way to go. You could split the order, buy the transformers, OBO boxes cw connectors and lamps from a wholesaler and the spots somewhere else, I like the spots from

http://www.loweleds.com/inner_1.php?cPath=22

for example this fitting

http://www.loweleds.com/mr16gu10-recessed-downlighters-p-62.html
    has a bit of weight to it and they are a bit different
    nothing looks worse then loads of standard spotlights IMO, I'd mix them up.
    make sure you get the right lampholder when you buy, MR 16 or GU10,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Thanks lads, do you think I should buy them myself to keep costs down or would they get them cheaper? What should I ask the two blokes about their lights to make sure they aint using crappy stuff? im just trying to find out if the price difference is just down to high labour prices, cos if they are both using the same lights I could go for the cheaper quote!

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

well they'd get them cheaper, but if they'd pass that on to you i dont know, you could always just buy the spots and make sure the transformers they supply are Robus or another good make (you want ones with a 5 year life)

Advertisement