Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bottom bracket removal, again.

Options
  • 30-06-2008 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

I picked up an old Raleigh Banana bike racing frame the other day. Took the crank off easily enough with the crank removal tool, but the bottom bracket is something I havent seen before. Anyone know what it is - and more importantly, how to get it out? Here's some pics, first two are drive side, second two are non-drive side.

2624529368_55d37cf8b3.jpg

2623704807_ca6af9c5a0.jpg

2623705431_853d79efb3.jpg

2623706243_d48d9b4fc8.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

It's a cup and cone BB. There doesn't seem to be a lockring on the non-drive side though..

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbadj.html

I had one on my bike. I took the easy option and just brought it into Joey D and asked them to change it to a cartridge BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Verb wrote: »
    It's a cup and cone BB. There doesn't seem to be a lockring on the non-drive side though..

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbadj.html

I had one on my bike. I took the easy option and just brought it into Joey D and asked them to change it to a cartridge BB.

Thanks for the link, I'll have a read down through it later in work :D. I took the lockring off myself.

Who's Joey D?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

flickerx wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, I'll have a read down through it later in work :D. I took the lockring off myself.

Who's Joey D?

haha sorry, Joe Dalys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Just grab the flat sections on each side with a big ole wrench and unscrew the cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Morgan wrote: »
    Just grab the flat sections on each side with a big ole wrench and unscrew the cups.

That did the trick! Had to unearth a 36mm spanner to get the drive side out, but it worked.

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement