Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbuncle in the middle of Skerries

Options
  • 30-06-2008 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Has anybody spotted that three story carbuncle, that’s been built in the heart of Skerries, right beside the monument? Talk about over development of a sight. I believe that it’s a café/restaurant on the ground floor and two apartments on the first floor, with a penthouse above.

It looks awful and the architect should have their credentials seriously checked out, as it sticks out like a sore thumb. The monument is the focal point of Strand St and now this hideous blemish on the landscape just throws the whole balance out in the street. Three storeys while all around it are two storeys??? It pays no respect to the buildings around it or the local architecture, in any manor.

Who allowed this in the council? Will Fingal council not be happy till they so over develop the centre of the town, that it looses all its character?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Aye, it is certainly out of character with the rest of its surrounds. It will probably be balanced out when the Bus Bar is eventually sold & they stick a 3 storey apartment block on that side. :(

Best of luck to the developers selling it as a café/restaurant, particularly in light of the new "Paparazzi" restaurant opening in what was Tommy Bahama's.

The restaurant trade appears to be hitting a slump in Skerries at the moment - evidence of this being Russell's closing down in the past couple of weeks, & this time of the year probably being the next busiest after the Christmas period.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

I agree on the restaurant side of things, not a good climate for such a venture but they do have permission for retail too as the café/restaurant licence hasn’t been granted by the council yet.

On the size of the building:-

That was what I was afraid of, that this would now set the ground rules for three story buildings in the main street; of course this will be start of the rot. The council is so short sighted as usual in their outlook. :rolleyes:

DubArk wrote: »
    I agree on the restaurant side of things, not a good climate for such a venture but they do have permission for retail too as the café/restaurant licence hasn’t been granted by the council yet.

On the size of the building:-

That was what I was afraid of, that this would now set the ground rules for three story buildings in the main street; of course this will be start of the rot. The council is so short sighted as usual in their outlook. :rolleyes:
    Then again, there is a good mix of single & two stoey buildings around the town centre. If the finishing of the building is anyway decent, it may even add character to that end of Strand Street. I'm sure that the locals weren't too happy when the old college (currently Prosper Fingal) was built, but that didn't exactly lead to a load of high-rises around the town.

Here's a link to the Skerries Architectural Conservation Area doc published by Fingal Co Co earlier this year. It may be of some interest...

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Then again, there is a good mix of single & two stoey buildings around the town centre. If the finishing of the building is anyway decent, it may even add character to that end of Strand Street. I'm sure that the locals weren't too happy when the old college (currently Prosper Fingal) was built, but that didn't exactly lead to a load of high-rises around the town.

Here's a link to the Skerries Architectural Conservation Area doc published by Fingal Co Co earlier this year. It may be of some interest...

Thank you very much for that link very useful.

Im sure when College Court was built back in 1982 people didn’t realise the significance of holding onto the character of Architecture in the town, different times don’t you agree?

But with the huge building push that has taken place in the town and its surroundings since that, we are a far more enlightened society to these matters. Well I like to think so. I’ve seen the plans of the rendered building and it still sticks out like a sore thumb (My opion only of course) and as one of the locals I just feel the centre of the town is under constant attack by bad planning.

Another example: The house across from the Gladstone in the Cross. Who thought that would blend in, with the enormous bay window looking straight at a pub?? A roof made of copper in a semi-circular shape??

I like the house but it’s completely in the wrong area.

Thanks again.

Another example: The house across from the Gladstone in the Cross. Who thought that would blend in, with the enormous bay window looking straight at a pub?? A roof made of copper in a semi-circular shape??

I like the house but it’s completely in the wrong area.

Thanks again.
    You are more than welcome.

I know what you're saying about the house opposite the Glad, but I have to say that I like it. It has character & isn't totally ultra-modern (use of somewhat traditional materials, etc).

And if I'm brutally honest, it looks a lot better than some of the really cráp older buildings around. I'm thinking here of the white-ish dormer with yellow detailing across the road from McGowan's. Yeuch! Ugly as sin. (I hope that's not your house. ;))

• Advertisement

Hill Billy wrote: »
    You are more than welcome.

I know what you're saying about the house opposite the Glad, but I have to say that I like it. It has character & isn't totally ultra-modern (use of somewhat traditional materials, etc).

And if I'm brutally honest, it looks a lot better than some of the really cráp older buildings around. I'm thinking here of the white-ish dormer with yellow detailing across the road from McGowan's. Yeuch! Ugly as sin. (I hope that's not your house. ;))

OMG you’re not talking about our beautiful family home?? LOL :p

Again I agree but that was done donkey years ago, there’s loads of examples of such crap been allowed in the 70’s and the 80’s and even the early 90’s, when no attention to detail was been monitored. But when is the line going to be drawn?

I’ve read the link and it is obviously a recommendation doc because they're paying little or no attention to it themselves.

Well I wonder what the town is going to look like in ten years from now, if Fingal don’t pull there finger out and take some of there own advice.

I suppose it’s a case of watch this space because if you don’t someone will build a piece of crap on it! :D

It is a tough one. We need to rely on FCC Planners & their adherence to their own guidelines & planning laws.

Your average citizen cannot be expected to shell €20 or whatever it is to view the detailed plans of each planning request lodged in their area - unless it is of specific interest. (General developments within the town don't fall into that category.) The planners - & councillors too - must police the applications on our behalf & be held responsible for maintaining the integrity of our locality.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I PUT A CURSE ON IT - ITS ****E - PASS IT MOST DAYS -
    Has anybody spotted that three story carbuncle, that’s been built in the heart of Skerries, right beside the monument? Talk about over development of a sight. I believe that it’s a café/restaurant on the ground floor and two apartments on the first floor, with a penthouse above.

It looks awful and the architect should have their credentials seriously checked out, as it sticks out like a sore thumb. The monument is the focal point of Strand St and now this hideous blemish on the landscape just throws the whole balance out in the street. Three storeys while all around it are two storeys??? It pays no respect to the buildings around it or the local architecture, in any manor.

Who allowed this in the council? Will Fingal council not be happy till they so over develop the centre of the town, that it looses all its character?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Advertisement