Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Paying VRT

Options
  • 30-06-2008 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

I've got a few conflicting reports on this - just wondering what payment methods they accept in the VROs... Cheque/Credit Card/Cash?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

You can pay using the following methods:

Bankdraft made payable to "Revenue Commissioners".
    Money order made payable to "Revenue Commissioners".
    Laser debit card (subject to a limit of €1500).
    Unguaranteed cheques may also be accepted in payment subject to the following conditions:
    The payer's name, the name on the cheque and the name of the owner of the vehicle being registered must be the same.
    The payer's PPS No. must be written on the back of the cheque.
    Photographic proof of the payer's identity must be provided, (e.g. passport, driver's licence).
    * In the interest of your own safety and that of Revenue staff in the VRO we no longer accept cash in payment of any tax or duty.

NOTE: Third Party cheques will not be accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

They accept Lazer card, Cheque, money order, bank draft. They do NOT accept cash.

If you pay by cheque you are supposed to bring ID and you have to put your PPS number on the back of it. However I paid my VRT recently and they didn't ask for ID at all and I paid by cheque.

I think there is a 1500 eur transaction limit as well. What I mean by that is I think if your VRT costs more than 1500, they won't accept payment in one lump sum. So say your VRT is 3000, I don't think they will accept a 3000 euro cheque, but instead two 1500 euro cheques. I overheard them saying something like that when I was in paying my VRT, but I could be wrong.

Also make sure you get an accurate VRT quote and print it out and bring it with you, incase of any queries. If you print it on the day they will most likely accept it. One guy ahead of me had got a quote from some other VRO but he didn't have a printout of it or anything. And when they were calculating the quote there and then, it was more than twice what he was expecting. I suspect they got the engine capacity or year wrong when he got the original quote, but he had nothing to prove it so it was hard for the VRO people to figure out what exactly had changed.

I also don't recommend trying to "fiddle" the online calculator to try and get a cheaper quote. :) There's a good chance they will enter all the information themselves anyway from the V5 to see if the quotes match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Nice one. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

T

I think there is a 1500 eur transaction limit as well. What I mean by that is I think if your VRT costs more than 1500, they won't accept payment in one lump sum. So say your VRT is 3000, I don't think they will accept a 3000 euro cheque, but instead two 1500 euro cheques. I overheard them saying something like that when I was in paying my VRT, but I could be wrong.

That can't be right, so if someone had to pay 30K vrt they would need 20 cheques. I'd say the 1500 is a limit to Lazer.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

You could be right, I'm not sure. I just thought I heard someone else trying to pay more than 1500 in VRT and being told they needed two cheques.

But as you say, it doesnt make a lot of sense to have to write out a load of cheques if your VRT is about 20,000.

I could be wrong, but I guess there's no harm in being prepared anyway just incase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Can someone else go into the VRO office and clear a car for another person?

Someone I know wants their car cleared but are working all week. Im off this week and offered to go in and do it for them. Is this ok, providing I have all their details?

I just figure if they require photo ID then someone else going in wouldnt work. Or is the photo ID only for record incase the cheque bounces or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

HJL wrote: »
    Can someone else go into the VRO office and clear a car for another person?

Someone I know wants their car cleared but are working all week. Im off this week and offered to go in and do it for them. Is this ok, providing I have all their details?

I just figure if they require photo ID then someone else going in wouldnt work. Or is the photo ID only for record incase the cheque bounces or something?

Nothing to stop someone doing it for someone else -- if there was then who would clear company vehicles? It's simply a matter of how the payment is made. Doing it for company vehicles has always involved a bank draft, in which case there is no ID requirement. I imagine you could do the same.

There is some rule whereby if you are paying by cheque, the name on the cheque has to match the name of the person that the car will be registered to. I don't know if that will be a problem for you, but just giving you a heads up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sorry to drag it up again . Did anyone get a definitive answer to is there a Cheque Value limit. My VRT should work out about 3.8K Silly writing 3 cheques for that???

Thanks in advance:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

No limit on cheque amount.
    €1,500 applies to max laser transaction per day.
    And they do take cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Dan_B wrote: »
    No limit on cheque amount.
    €1,500 applies to max laser transaction per day.
    And they do take cash.

+1 on the no cheque limit, im just in the door and paid €2160 [was €4227 pre July :D]

not sure about the cash thing though, its not on the posters or anything :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Thanks guys. Didnt want to walk in and be un-informed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Yes they take cash, to the maximum of €50 per transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

peelaaa wrote: »
    useless post deleted

You will be missed dearly from this forum.

Advertisement