Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SGS Test

Options
  • 30-06-2008 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

I applied for my test and got a letter from SGS to contact them by telephone to arrange a date which i did.

SGS (they do NCTs) are conducting Tests for RSA.

Anyone have experience with SGS test? Is it easier or harder than a test with a usual instructors?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

I did my test with SGS out in ballymun. They were fine, friendly, informative and gladly repeated any command if i missed it.

I can't imagine the test being any different than a RSA test. I'm sure they would have the same criteria for marking the test.

Good luck with the test

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

In my experience with them the route was as challenging as any of the other tests. The examiner I had was much more professional than any of the RSA guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭donhughberto

JP Liz wrote: »
    I applied for my test and got a letter from SGS to contact them by telephone to arrange a date which i did.

SGS (they do NCTs) are conducting Tests for RSA.

Anyone have experience with SGS test? Is it easier or harder than a test with a usual instructors?

I failed but he was a gentleman and very friendly and opened. it was my own fault as i was rushing into the test. I hear they are much easier than RSA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

I failed but he was a gentleman and very friendly and opened. it was my own fault as i was rushing into the test. I hear they are much easier than RSA.

I honestly don't think they are any easier, but they do seem to be far more professional and friendly. They seem to give you back much better feedback and from the onset try and put you at ease, which should help some people who might fail due to pure nerves.

They mark on the same criteria, but I guess the experience seems to be a lot more positive for most - pass or fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I did mine with SGS and the route was very similar to one of the RSA ones. The tester was very polite and repeated any instructions when asked to. There was an inspector in the car too, which didnt help my nerves, but they can inspect both RSA and SGS. The only difference is that the SGS testers seem to be more friendly. I passed, which meant I had a positive experience, but both of my housemates recently failed with SGS and still found them to be very nice and professional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Is there a way to apply to SGS directly?

I've applied to RSA but if I can apply to SGS I'll do that also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

What I gather is that the SGS centres are in the suburbs of Dublin where it is flat and there are wide housing estate roads BUT alot of roundabouts.

Both crowds are very concerned with Observation. Do it in Airside, Citywest, Fonthill etc and expect tractors, JCBs (well thats just my bad luck), children playing on streets, LOTS of roundabouts (a tip is look right and where you're going over and over) whereas do it in Raheny, Rathgar etc expect narrower roads, hilly roads and busier roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

iRock wrote: »
    Is there a way to apply to SGS directly?

I've applied to RSA but if I can apply to SGS I'll do that also.

You can only apply to the RSA. They allocate a certain proportion to SGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

On the 'Permit License', I was on my third provisional and when I re-newed my license they now give the Permit in place of the provisonal, I guess I don't have to wait 6 months for a test? Do they go off the valid from date or the issued on date as my valid from is year 2000 (I have not been driving that long, got it back in the day for ID purpose while abroad)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Easy Rider wrote: »
    On the 'Permit License', I was on my third provisional and when I re-newed my license they now give the Permit in place of the provisonal, I guess I don't have to wait 6 months for a test? Do they go off the valid from date or the issued on date as my valid from is year 2000 (I have not been driving that long, got it back in the day for ID purpose while abroad)

No you do not have the 6 month wait to worry about as this is fourth learner Permit essentially. The 6 month wait only applies to those on a first Learner Permit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Thanks....good to know...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

SGS are definately not easier than the RSA imo.The RSA keep strict check on pass rates from SGS.I heard from somebody that the sgs' contract with the RSA will run out next month.Can anyone confirm that??

I did my motorcycle test with an RSA examiner and my car test with SGS. I found them to be pretty similar. I have heard rumours that SGS are easier to do the test with but in my own experience thats a load of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have heard rumours that SGS are easier to do the test with but in my own experience thats a load of crap.

+1 completely agree,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I done my test with SGS and found my tester really nice ... He didn't mind repeating a command when asked and was helpful after the test in running through where i lost the marks and on what to focus in on next time.

No complaints from me about SGS ... (other than not passing the test :rolleyes: )

I also don't agree that they are easier; They all have the same set of guidelines to follow and if they are passing more than the RSA then their waiting times will reduce and i don't think that SGS workers want that :rolleyes: . Just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭28064212

My driving instructor pointed out that a likely reason for the difference in pass-rates between SGS and the RSA is the fact that almost all of the SGS examiners are former instructors, whereas there's a significant proportion of the RSA examiners that are civil servants and have never had driving students. I'm not saying that the civil servants are worse examiners than former instructors, but they don't have the same connection to examinees, they don't have the same experience of putting people at ease

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement