Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock Band Options!!!!

Options
  • 30-06-2008 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm gonna buy Rock Band for the house and was wondering what is the best thing to do peripheral-wise as i heard the GH guitar is better....

Do I buy the game & instrument pack as normal or the game and drums seperate and get a GH guitar? (I can safely say the mic will never be used so isn't necessary) as I said, I heard the GH guitar is better than the RB offering, is that the case?

Opinions greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Hi all, I'm gonna buy Rock Band for the house and was wondering what is the best thing to do peripheral-wise as i heard the GH guitar is better....

Do I buy the game & instrument pack as normal or the game and drums seperate and get a GH guitar? (I can safely say the mic will never be used so isn't necessary) as I said, I heard the GH guitar is better than the RB offering, is that the case?

Opinions greatly appreciated!

The GH controller isn't without it's problems. I've had to perform manual fixes on both wired and wireless guitars for the 360 and for the Kramer wireless one on the PS2. I've heard occasional problems with the strum bar on Rock Band.

Personally, i got the game seperate as i had the 2 GH controllers.
    As for which game is better, it really depends on your personal preferance. I used to be very pro GH but after getting into the DLC on Rock Band, it's swayed me somewhat.

Your best bet is to go with your own gut feeling on what will suit your needs.
    VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I think my original post was a bit unclear! :o

I'm definitely getting Rock Band, I was wondering if it was better to get the complete instruments box, or just the drums and then a guitar hero guitar...

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Well if you will be playing the Guitar hero games too, you are better to get the GH guitar, as the Rock Band guitar only works with RB.

I bought RB and just got the Drums, I have a GH 2 guitar, I have heard that too that the there are issues with RB guitar, but the GH3 controller is meant to give problems too...

Pooh! I had Guitar Hero II & III but got rid when I grew tired of them. I think i'll just bite the bullet and get the instruments box and hope my wallet forgives me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

And you'll get the mic then so, the singing is great craic too........I thought i would never try it either....

I need to get a mic separate instead of using the headset....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

well i bought the instruments and game pack, already having the guitar hero 2 wired guitar that came with GH3 for PC. i have to say i much prefer GH2 guitar over RB guitar. it just feels a lot sturdier and the strum bar is miles better imo.

having said that itd prolly set you back a fair bit more to get the game, drums and a GH guitar seperately and if i were in your position i'd just go for game + instruments (€180 in hmv for the lot plus 2100 MS points w/ student discount). And as the above poster says the singing is great fun, specially when playing with 4 people, and when you've had a good few cans and cant be bothered pressing any buttons its the simplest option :p

Nice one, thanks for advice everyone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Cully

Pooh! I had Guitar Hero II & III but got rid when I grew tired of them. I think i'll just bite the bullet and get the instruments box and hope my wallet forgives me!

You can use any USB Mic for Rock band.. also you can use GH guitars... but you're not gonna have any "solo" buttons.
    grimm2005 wrote: »
    well i bought the instruments and game pack, already having the guitar hero 2 wired guitar that came with GH3 for PC. i have to say i much prefer GH2 guitar over RB guitar. it just feels a lot sturdier and the strum bar is miles better imo.

Oh my god.... You think the GH guitar is better than the RB guitar? I have lots of guitars.... Guitar Freaks [8 or so year old game], GH1 [PS2], GH2 [PS2], GH3 [Xbox 360], GH3 [Wii], and Rock Band [Xbox360].

None of the guitars are as STURDY as the Rock Band guitar. It actually is the only guitar that looks like a real one. Get a real fender stratocaster and put it beside it and you'll know what I mean. Also it's bigger unlike the GH guitars. The buttons on the Rock Band guitar go all the way from the top to the bottom of the neck meaning it's easier to slide up and down it without missing any buttons. The strum bar on Rock Band is silent unlike the horrible click from the GH ones. The strum bar also is shaped for better grip when strumming up and down. It is also bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Cully wrote: »

Oh my god.... You think the GH guitar is better than the RB guitar? I have lots of guitars.... Guitar Freaks [8 or so year old game], GH1 [PS2], GH2 [PS2], GH3 [Xbox 360], GH3 [Wii], and Rock Band [Xbox360].

None of the guitars are as STURDY as the Rock Band guitar. It actually is the only guitar that looks like a real one. Get a real fender stratocaster and put it beside it and you'll know what I mean. Also it's bigger unlike the GH guitars. The buttons on the Rock Band guitar go all the way from the top to the bottom of the neck meaning it's easier to slide up and down it without missing any buttons. The strum bar on Rock Band is silent unlike the horrible click from the GH ones. The strum bar also is shaped for better grip when strumming up and down. It is also bigger.

well i much prefer the clicking strum bar to the non-clicking sort of squishy bar of the rock band one. i like the reassuring tactile click that your actually pressing it. While i do admit the rock band guitar looks better (as in more realistic) thats a minor thing in my eyes as i'm gonna be staring at the screen rather than the guitar. Also i don't think being bigger is nesacerily a good thing, it takes up more room if anything (i know its supposed to add to the realism and all but in the end of the day its just a guitar shaped controller with 5 buttons so its not ever gonna be that realistic).

Also, my RB guitar strum bar broke after only 2 days (up strum stopped working properly) wheras I've had the 360 X-plorer since november and its been through some abuse and it still works a charm (thats where the sturdy-ness comment came from) but in the end of the day i guess it just comes down to personal preference. I had been using that same X-plorer guitar for some time (even before i had the game in the xbox centre in town) so the lack of a click and the general feel of the strum bar plus bad experiences with broken strum bar led me to much prefer the x-plorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

The gh2 explorer owns.

• Advertisement
Advertisement