Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Urgent VRT question?!

Options
  • 30-06-2008 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

urgent!

can't get through to the VRO.

have an imported bmw 116 which is due to go up with the new vrt laws. (not the efficient dynamics model)
    is 07 so is this affected or is it only 08 cars imported?

i.e. do I have to register today or can I do it in the morning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

WillyWonka wrote: »
    urgent!

can't get through to the VRO.

have an imported bmw 116 which is due to go up with the new vrt laws. (not the efficient dynamics model)
    is 07 so is this affected or is it only 08 cars imported?

i.e. do I have to register today or can I do it in the morning?

Today by close or never :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm not totally sure if you are talking about the VRT due, or the amount of yearly road tax you will have to pay.

There is another thread on this forum that explains the rules quite well regarding how much VRT you will have to pay pre and post July 1st.

The road tax system will still be based on CC's for old cars. I think its only 08 cars onwards that will have their road tax based on emissions. Check the other thread though, it explains it all fairly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭seamy_orr

I'd get it done today if I was you if the amount is significant. New CO2 based VRT rates apply to all imports from 18:00 this evening.
    Good luck with the queues...

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

Thanks for the replies so far. appreciated.

"The new motor tax system is applicable only to cars first registered (when new) in 2008 and later, no matter which country they were registered in. All older cars stay on the old cc based tax system"

This suggests that an imported 07 (which I have) will be on the old system...I think..

• Advertisement

Aye, that's the yearly road tax that you will have to pay each year.

If the amount of VRT you have to pay is due to go up tomorrow, that's a different story.

If the amount of VRT you have to pay is due to go up tomorrow, that's a different story.
    Gotcha thanks :)

Correct if you VRT % changes to the upwardly direction get down there today.

Also side note, why dont people say the year of their car, possibly the 3rd thread like this today without research or providing full info on their purchase.:confused::confused:

From original post...

"is 07 so is this affected or is it only 08 cars imported?" ;)

From original post...

"is 07 so is this affected or is it only 08 cars imported?" ;)

:o :eek: sorry :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Register. Now. an 07... Go to your nearest VRT office... ASAP! :eek:

Let us know if you beat the deadline :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

jesus... how can people leave it so late?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

If you're unlucky enough to choose Tallaght revenue office, you're in for a long wait.

I'm literally only just back from there. Got there by 12:15 and asked a couple people at the back of the line what the story was - they explained it was a queue and they were only taking in 20 people at a time. I'd been there on Wednesday and filled out all the paperwork and handed it into them, but my bank draft was slightly off so I had to get that amended and the lady said just drop it in and ask for her name and I could skip queue.... The security guard was a complete a$$hat and wasn't budging though.

Went back to work and gave them a ring around 1 but they automatically shut phones off for lunch. So, lady I'd dealt with there last rang me and was basically asking "where are ya?!! You've only got a few hours to do this!". So I legged it there and got there for 3:20'ish and managed to get in without queuing and the lady sorted everything out for me. As I was leaving I looked at the desks and a few of the guys that I'd asked in the queue what was going on were only JUST sitting down to start the paperwork. They were in queue for well over 2 and a half hours at that stage.

Relief.. !

steve06 wrote: »
    jesus... how can people leave it so late?

Some people are trying to 'beat the VRT' by buying fuk off gas guzzlers before it goes through (like me) and others are the people who've been chancing their arm driving on foreign plates this whole time.

I made 2 attempts AFTER I'd done all the paperwork to go in and finalise the registration with a bank draft, but the queues were either 2+ hours long or the asshole security guard minding the door kept telling me to come back after lunch. And as much as I like standing around in a sweat ridden non air-conditioned office like a douche for 2 hours, I couldn't because I could only do it on my lunch break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

That queue may have been just as a result of the day that was in it, i.e. the last day for clearing those high emission cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

That queue may have been just as a result of the day that was in it, i.e. the last day for clearing those high emission cars.
    +1. It's the day that's in it.

yep beat the queue! did take a while to get through though. And yes that security guy in a rude s**t. I had already been in and filled out the paperwork, and it was sent off for extras...

I returned to complete it but was on my lunch break and they were soooooo slow.

I went in again on friday but they closed early so had no choice but to do it today. bit crazy in there alright, although it seemed to settle down.

It will be interesting to know if the queues will be any better today. I'm sure lots of people were trying to pay their VRT yesterday in order to save money, but by the same token, I think quite a few models will be due less in VRT from today onwards. I guess the difference is this time there's no real deadline I suppose.

yep beat the queue! did take a while to get through though. And yes that security guy in a rude s**t. I had already been in and filled out the paperwork, and it was sent off for extras...

I returned to complete it but was on my lunch break and they were soooooo slow.

I went in again on friday but they closed early so had no choice but to do it today. bit crazy in there alright, although it seemed to settle down.

Literally word for word the same situation as me WillyWonka. Despite the fact that I'd queued for nearly 2 hours on Wednesday and was merely producing a bank draft to pay for it (taking like, 10 mins of a staff member's time), the asshole security guard wouldn't let me in.
    Had to go back to work and ring ahead and ask the lady I was dealing with to give the guard a heads up that I was arriving.

Congrats on making it through on time though! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement