Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards 200

Options
  • 30-06-2008 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

A short while ago, AndyP had a good idea and designed a 200km route.

Here is the original post.
    Here is his proposed route.

It takes in all the climbs that we know and "love" so well: Wicklow Gap, Sally Gap, Slieve Mann, Shay Elliot, and the often overlooked, Devil's Glen.

Well, as you may have guessed, I'm not posting this for the good of my health, so here is the proposition... we go for it on Saturday the 19th July.

All you ROK guys will have had two weeks to recover, and it will be good training, if not a little overkill, for the SK Tour.

It won't be easy by any means, but it has long been an ambition of mine to do all those climbs in one day :)

There are also a number of shorter options proposed
    65km
    90km
    125km

Who is up for it?

Takers so far:-

El Tonto
    Blorg
    RogerB
    Raam
    NiceOneTom
    PeadarofAodh
    RTD

Caroline_ie
    TinyExplosions
    LDB
    c0rk3r
    Mugatu

Start Time: 6am
    Rest points: Laragh, Rathdrum

58637.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Mmmm ... is there a 100 route alternative ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Mmmm ... is there a 100 route alternative ...?

I guess if enough people want one, then it could be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Bambaata

i'd be well up for this only for i got other plans :-(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Oh boy. That's going to be a tough one. If I'm free, I'll do it. I'm already feeling very masochistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'm in!

• Advertisement

Are all your wives and GF volunteering for catering along the way?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Nice idea; wouldn't be a 200 if we can't complain about the catering. Hope the route is going to be well marked on the road (who is going out with the yellow paint the day before?) And the times! We will need split times!

On a slightly more serious note I imagine that we should be OK with the shops/cafes in the towns on route, there are a fair few of them. Should probably plan where we will sit down for a sandwich (Laragh and Rathdrum?)

Are all your wives and GF volunteering for catering along the way?:pac:

Depends how much they love us.

I think half the challenge for me will be finding my way. I'm unfamiliar with a lot of the latter part of the route. It would probably be best to try and stick together as much as possible. If people want to go mental on the climbs, then by all means go for it, but we should re-group at the top. I wouldn't want anyone to be lost out there.

I would expect that food stops would just involve dropping into whatever shops we find along the way. We can agree some towns to stop in for breaks.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Raam wrote: »
    If people want to go mental on the climbs, then by all means go for it

Are you referring to yourself?

Seriously though, we'd need a very early start. Stopping off for food and water along the way sounds like a plan.

For people interested in doing a shorter route on the day, there's potential to turn off at the top of the Sally Gap and head back into town via Glencree, or off at Laragh to go home via Roundwood and Enniskerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I'd love to do it also, but I won't be about.

el tonto wrote: »
    For people interested in doing a shorter route on the day, there's potential to turn off at the top of the Sally Gap and head back into town via Glencree, or off at Laragh to go home via Roundwood and Enniskerry.
    Maybe that's a better option for me. i was thinking about doing something similar this upcoming weekend actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I'm at a wedding in Cork that weekend. This way I don't have to cowardly back out of it :)

I've added some more details to the first post. They are just as starting points and can be changed to suit consensus.

Raam wrote: »
    Takers so far:-
    El Tonto
    Blorg
    RogerB
    Raam

Jayz, I hope there's more takers than that. I don't fancy chasing you three up those hills all day. We need a few others for the grupetto.

el tonto wrote: »
    Jayz, I hope there's more takers than that. I don't fancy chasing you three up those hills all day. We need a few others for the grupetto.

Come on everyone, don't be shy...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i can't get that map to work at the moment (some sort of script error?) so i don't really know what i'd be signing up for. that list of climbs gives me the fear. so does the list of climbers.

still stuck on maybe. :o

I'll do the shorter route and wait for you all at the end with fresh beers and a team of nice ladies masseuses.

niceonetom wrote: »
    i can't get that map to work at the moment (some sort of script error?) so i don't really know what i'd be signing up for. that list of climbs gives me the fear. so does the list of climbers.

still stuck on maybe. :o

Tried to include in original post, but no joy.

I'll do the shorter route and wait for you all at the end with fresh beers and a team of nice ladies masseuses.

Now that's something I'll sign up to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'll do the shorter route too and warm the masseuses hands up for ye :D

Think I might well die on the longer one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

ohhh very professional altogether!
    I'll do the 100 but the time ye back back from all those climb's on the 200 we will probably have drunk all the beers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I'm recovering from leg surgery and was planning on using cycling as my main form of rehab...doing even the shorter route on this might be a stretch given it's not far away, but stick me down as a maybe to give me something to aim for!

I did an extra 20km on the Wicklow 100 to take in Glencree and Sally Gap and really enjoyed that challenge and it made it just about right for me. A 100km route taking in both Sally Gap and Slieve Mann would be a great test.

If someone wants to draw up a 100 route, go for it.

I say blorg (please??) can prob draw a nice route for us :D ... if you let me do it will include all the ice cream stops possible ... and we'd end up getting lost in the middle of a hord of sheep ... and you guys would have No masseuse for the end of the day ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

5,000 feet of climbing!!! Whatever happened to the idea of boardsies being lazy computer nerds???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

I say blorg (please??) can prob draw a nice route for us ... if you let me do it will include all the ice cream stops possible ... and we'd end up getting lost in the middle of a hord of sheep ... and you guys would have No masseuse for the end of the day ...

ice cream stops sound perfectly fine to me
    I wouldn't have a clue so I vote for blorg too ...

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    5,000 feet of climbing!!! Whatever happened to the idea of boardsies being lazy computer nerds???

Shall I take that to mean that you are in? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Oh, I sprained my ankle in a non-cycling related incident (obviously) but I too would nominate blorg.

• Advertisement

Short Route: Boards 65km. Turn off at top of Sally Gap and home via Djouce and Enniskerry.

Advertisement