Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards 200

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Would you like me to do a nice 100k?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Medium Route: Boards 125km. Turn off in Laragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

AndyP wrote: »
    Would you like me to do a nice 100k?

Go for it. Are you in for the 200 route? After all, you designed it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

65 is too short, we need a challenge ... not too challenging though (125 is still a bit long )... sorry ... being fussy

Raam wrote: »
    Go for it. Are you in for the 200 route? After all, you designed it :)

Unfortunatley not. Due to the nature of my work (working every Saturday and Summer being the busiest time) I would need a lot more notice than 3 weeks, closer to 3 months! Not to mention the training I would need, a tooth infection has kept me off the bike for a while now:(

For anyone designing a shorter route, try to follow the 200 as far as Laragh, at least it keeps the Boards group together for the longest possible distance.

• Advertisement

That'd be nice if we all had our Boards gear by then :)

el tonto wrote: »
    Short Route: Boards 65km. Turn off at top of Sally Gap and home via Djouce and Enniskerry.

Maybe just edit this one to on through Glenmacnass to Laragh and back through Roundwood, Ballinastoe, Enniskerry etc..

PS The start point on the original is roughly the water tower in UCD but you can change that to wherever you want without affecting the distance much (maybe the usual Dd start point).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Is there anyway to see a breakdown of the route on those MapMyRide routes? I'm not familiar enough with the area to recognise the routes, main interest is to see the main climbs and the overall climb amount.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

...I would need a lot more notice than 3 weeks, closer to 3 months! Not to mention the training I would need, a tooth infection has kept me off the bike for a while now...

All talk and no trousers eh?

• Advertisement

That seems like a good route - if I'm reading it right it involves climbing from Firhouse up to the Hell Fire Club then onto Glencree and over the Sally Gap, with those being the main climbs?

Again, not 100% that I'll be fit to do it, but that would be a lovely route I reckon.

I like that one - Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

If I can sort myself a bike in time (See my bike getting swiped thread...) I'd be up for seeing if I can transfer rowing fitness to cycling! Never done 200 before, should be interesting.

That seems like a good route - if I'm reading it right it involves climbing from Firhouse up to the Hell Fire Club then onto Glencree and over the Sally Gap, with those being the main climbs?

Again, not 100% that I'll be fit to do it, but that would be a lovely route I reckon.
    Yeah thats pretty much it. I put the back road from Laragh to Rounwood on it, nice around there.
    I like that one - Thanks :)
    No problemo.
    All talk and no trousers eh?
    Yep, you nust know me!:p

If I get a minute later, I will do a more detailed breakdown of the two routes (junctions etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

REgistering interest for the 90km or whatever people settle on. Still have to attempt sally gap. Will do so this sunday also need to get myself some shoes and clipless pedals. Any recommendations ?

c0rk3r wrote: »
    ...also need to get myself some shoes and clipless pedals. Any recommendations ?

Look Keos. Light, secure and pretty easy to get used to.

As for shoes, it's probably a bit more personal since everyone's different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Sounds like a great plan. I'll be on a stag unfortunately, would have been on for the 200 (may as well claim that seeing as I won't be doing it). Looks like one hell of a group for the 200, I'll be interested to here how you all get on.

This whole boarss cycling community thing is very refreshing, keep all the enthusiasm and ideas going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

sounds like the 200 will have to be run again for all those people who want to do it but (conveniently) can't make it!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

Hmm, interesting. Don't know if I'll be fit for the 200 though, spending the next two weekends at music festivals and the weeks inbetween recovering :o I'll decide closer to the day if I'll be able for the 200 or 100.

Are you referring to yourself?

I don't know how I missed this earlier. But, erm... OK, ya got me, I've no response :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Mugatu

I know from the Wicklow 200 you guys are FIT!!

So, would there be room on the 100 for a guy with a basic bike (Lapierre RCR100) and who is still a newbie to cycling?

Took a 105km spin up over the Wiclow mountains on Saturday and it took me nearly 7 hours BUT that was with a lunch break.;)

Mugatu wrote: »
    I know from the Wicklow 200 you guys are FIT!!

So, would there be room on the 100 for a guy with a basic bike (Lapierre RCR100) and who is still a newbie to cycling?

Took a 105km spin up over the Wiclow mountains on Saturday and it took me nearly 7 hours BUT that was with a lunch break.;)

Sure, come with us on the shorter route! The more, the merrier !!! That's going to be great fun ;)

would there be room on the 100 for a guy with a basic bike (Lapierre RCR100) and who is still a newbie to cycling?

Sure thing, if you think you are up for it, the more the merrier. Get a few more training rides in the hills under your belt and you'll be fine. You can already do 105km, so you should get around no bother :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Mugatu

GREAT!!! I look forward to it.

Can the organisers organise some nice weather for that weekend? Also if possible a tail wind for any of the climbs. Thanks in advance. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

GREAT!!! I look forward to it.

Can the organisers organise some nice weather for that weekend? Also if possible a tail wind for any of the climbs. Thanks in advance. :D

I would also like to know the booking number to reserve my place at the back of the group if conditions are inclement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

would love nothing more but i am afraid i have to work on the saturday. would have liked to do the 125km

I have done a detailed route but it is a .wps file so boards will not let me upload it as an attachment. Seeing as the place is crawling with nerds geeks knowledgeable computer types, maybe someone could advise me on how to upload it.

Just got confirmed today that I'll be in Atlanta for work (well, let's call a junket a junket) that weekend so scratch me off the 125km list. Thanks though to AndyP and Raam for the route and idea - will defo give this route a go one of the following weeks and post back how I get on (hopefully my new Garmin Edge 305 will hold me to honest stats.).

Blorg - would the batteries on the Edge 305 last for this full route if it takes me approx 6 hours?

Just got confirmed today that I'll be in Atlanta for work (well, let's call a junket a junket) that weekend so scratch me off the 125km list. Thanks though to AndyP and Raam for the route and idea

No worries.

Any other takers out there for the 200 route?

• Advertisement

Can I email this file to someone who can convert it?

Advertisement