Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards 200

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

AndyP wrote: »
    Can I email this file to someone who can convert it?

You can email it to me. PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Hi - yep count me in. Knee still bit 'spongey' but think it is getting there. Have started commuting anyway. Would be nice if we can arrange a bit of decent weather like the weekend before the W200....

Cadex wrote: »
    Hi - yep count me in. Knee still bit 'spongey' but think it is getting there. Have started commuting anyway. Would be nice if we can arrange a bit of decent weather like the weekend before the W200....

Good show mate. I can't edit the main post any more to add you to the "official" list, but in true Tour de France style we are allowed make up the rules as we go along, so the organisers shouldn't have a problem with your name not being down.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Raam wrote: »
    You can email it to me. PM sent.

Cheers Raam, I am trying to add a few little things to it and I will forward it in the morning.
    There are a few roads on both routes that are hard to describe, you sort of just know them, if you know what I mean. Any questions about the exact routes, just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

I am going to france touring later in the summer ... maybe I should do it ...
    I haven't been out on a very long spin since wicklow 200 .. maybe i shouldn't .......
    will decide after ROK..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Raam, you've got mail!

Folks, here is the document that Andy created...

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddfhr83f_14hjr48bg8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

It's looking like I won't have a bike in time to take part unfortunately...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I'll be away at a festival in England working for Oxfam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Folks, here is the document that Andy created...

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddfhr83f_14hjr48bg8

Thanks for that ;)

I can't wait!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

Is the standard of rider doing the boards 200 very high?
    I think I would be up for it but I don't want to be left behind!

I spent 8hrs 15 in the saddle on the the wicklow 200 ... are others of roughly that standard doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

That's what I was thinking .from the sounds of all the reports from the weekend with the boards rocketing off in kerry its well out of my league

Some are flyers on the flat, some are demons on the descents, others are huirs on the hills. It's a good mix of abilities.

Yeah and I am all round bad. Done 25k tonight. Wicklow to greystones into a head wind and took me an hour I was wrecked, felt much harder tonight for some reason. That's an awful time

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    Yeah and I am all round bad. Done 25k tonight. Wicklow to greystones into a head wind and took me an hour I was wrecked, felt much harder tonight for some reason. That's an awful time

I nearly got sick trying to fly up Howth Hill yesterday cos I was out of shape and bit off more than I could chew. Don't worry about it, take a days rest, put in a good effort for a couple more, then take a another days rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

barrabus wrote: »
    Is the standard of rider doing the boards 200 very high?
    I think I would be up for it but I don't want to be left behind!

I spent 8hrs 15 in the saddle on the the wicklow 200 ... are others of roughly that standard doing it?
    There are two routes, the full 200 but also a 100 involving a turn back at Roundwood- a fair few people planning to do that. Buachaill- I'd suggest you try that 100, I'd say you will be well up for it. The people doing the 100 might be a bit slower.

The plan with the 200 anyway is to wait for people at the top of the climbs/at the rest stops, so I would not worry about being left behind.

8h15m is a decent time for the Wicklow 200- I imagine there will be plenty of people doing this 200 with similar sort of times.

What time should I be striving for for a relatively fair 25k

What time should I be striving for for a relatively fair 25k

Depends on terrain, wind conditions, how you are feeling on the day. Maybe 40 to 50 minutes?

25km an hour is a good time, excellent into a headwind on your own.

I was out myself tonight and there was certainly a bit of a headwind in that direction! Chose my route very well with a tailwind out to Eniskerry, then round by Glencree by the Wicklow 200 route. The wind only started to have any impact as I came up from Glencree to the top of the Military Road, heading back to Dublin. At which point a savage looking crazycyclist with deep section wheels overtook me and I hugged his wheel all the way back to Rathfarnham (thanks!)

Agree with Blorg, headwinds suck and slow everybody down, apart from El Tonto that time we were heading back to Dublin through Tallaght. I was a broken man that day.

• Advertisement

Agh I just felt sluggish maybe too much beer the weekend although I am sure the extra two stone doesn't help ha ha.I have done that same route the last three weeks and that's the worst the wind has been, obviously I have been lucky

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

barrabus wrote: »

I did the W200 in 7:55 and I'm doing the 200 in this one. As the lads said, there'll be a "no child left behind" policy in operation and I'll be certainly taking advantage of it. I'm not a great climber at all.
    Agree with Blorg, headwinds suck and slow everybody down, apart from El Tonto that time we were heading back to Dublin through Tallaght. I was a broken man that day.

Believe me, that day is a cherished memory. I'd say I'll be waiting a long time before I drop you again.

El tonto sounds like your being modest everyone else reckons your a machine

He provided sterling service at the front between Sneem and Kenmare on Saturday- El Tonto, niceonetom, the pirate and myself (and I think there might have been one other) were taking turns at the front, with about 10-15 cyclists in a pack behind us. I reckon El Tonto was doing the bulk of the work; I was happy with that state of affairs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

25kph is pretty decent on your own, it took me a while to average that kind of speed and i'm sure you'll see that improve incrementally with the new-bike-motivation. i'm no powerhouse so headwinds slow me to walking pace.

the speed in kerry was exceptional, and tbh scared the shít out of me for the first hour or so - i thought i'd seriously pay for it later but it just goes to show how much a good group can flatter a rider. there will no be no such heroics at the B200*, assurances have been made. it'll be in the climbers' (i'm looking at you Raam and RogerB) best interests to take it handy on the hills anyway, unless they fancy waiting around for 30mins at the top of each one for the rest of us. and el_tonto can be slowed with tactical deployment of tobacco products ;).

you should come out on the saturday/sunday spin if you can (are you dublin based?), and see for yourself what the group is like. i want to have a gawk at your bike anyway :pac: and the pace is determined by the strength of whoever turns up on the day, there's no hammerheads shouting "close that gap", i promise. inclusively is what it's all about.

*see what i did there?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Honestly, I climb like an aul wan. The Boards 200 will definitely not be my terrain. The lads just want me along to get a tow on the flat bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

FYI - in case you didnt already know - The Beast of the East tri is on 19th around some of the same roads you are using.

I plan on coming along for the saturday run but cant for mext few weeks but a sunday might be an option. Live in wicklow but from cabinteely.

el tonto wrote: »
    The lads just want me along to get a tow on the flat bits.

Our secret is out.

• Advertisement

FYI - in case you didnt already know - The Beast of the East tri is on 19th around some of the same roads you are using.

http://www.beastoftheeasttri.com/bike.html
    Following the swim element of the race, the competitor will exit transition and the race site, head left towards the villiage of Roundwood. From Roundwood, the competitors will cycle to Annamoe and Larragh via the R755 and in Laragh a left-hand turn at Lynhams pub will take them on an undulating route to Rathdrum. There will be turnaround point approx. 2km before Rathdrum, and the competitors will return to Laragh and from Laragh will be directed back a hilly route along the Oldbridge Road ending in a steep descent to Lough Dan.

By my reckoning, it will only be for a very small bit at Laragh and then for a longish stretch when we rejoin the R755 after Devil's Glen.

Advertisement