Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom BroadBand Issues (ADSL2+ only ?)

Options
  • 30-06-2008 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else is seeing similar issues to mine below ?

I'm on an Eircom Business Plus Connection. I've had it running perfectly for well over a year on the 4Meg speed. Recently I got an upgrade to 10Meg (May 12th) & until last Thurs (June 26th) at approx 9:05am GMT it also appeared to be fine. I lost my connection at 9:05am, called Eircom Business BroadBand Support. Was asked a pile of questions about my existing infrastructure. I explained that nothing had changed in years, all had been running fine but was told I had to disconnect everything from any phone sockets & connect the router directly with no filter, reboot it & try connect again. I did all this but still had no connectivity.

I rang Eircom Business Broadband support again & was then told there was a major outage affecting ADSL2 customers in Maynooth, Leixlip, Lucan, & Celbridge. Eircom was working on the fault. Thankfully all connectivity was eventually restored later that morning - approx 11am GMT.

Later that night (June 26th) - approx 8:20pm - I lost all connectivity again & have been without any Business Broadband connection since (approaching 4 days). I rang their support line again to be told to disconnect everything, try conncting the router in directly with no filter etc etc. At this stage the latest update I've had back is that Eircom are aware that there is some issue with ADSL2 customers, apparently they don't know what exchanges are affected (according to the Eircom cust support people I spoke with), there seems to be an issue with my line syching. Not sure what's going on but I thought everything was ok as I've had the 10Meg connection since May 12th with no issues - no now connectivty for nearly 4 days.

Its pretty bad service for what you pay for!

Please let me know if you are aware of any similar issues with 10Meg, 12 Meg (ADSL2+ customers).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

If it were me I would be tearing a hole in support right now, 4 days without broadband for a business customer really is not acceptable. I would definitely be demanding for something off the next bill at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

If it were me I would be tearing a hole in support right now, 4 days without broadband for a business customer really is not acceptable. I would definitely be demanding for something off the next bill at the very least.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Could it be that your equipment is too old and does no support adsl2+? You did say its been the same for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

technican up in dublin couple of weeks ago told me there having MASSIVE internal upgrades on the business packages

hope this doesnt dump your barrel but that amount of downtime for a company is totally unnaceptable

wee 100 posts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Could it be that your equipment is too old and does no support adsl2+? You did say its been the same for years.

Thanks - my equipment is ok. (I've tested with 2 different ADSL2+ compatible wireless routers)

I originally had the 3347NWG & ensured I'd flashed its firmware with the updated version provided by Eircom in advance of them upgrading me to the 10Meg connection as without the firmware upgrade it would not have been compatible with ADSL2+ etc.. I followed all their instructions & knew I'd need to do that in order to be able to get the 10Meg with that wireless router. I got my upgrade on May 12th & it worked fine with my original router. Eircom subsequently sent me out a new wireless router without me asking (as part of my upgrade May 12th)- it came ADSL2+ compatible straight out of the box, a 2247NWG. I removed my original 3347NWG & set the 2247NWG up & had been using that for the last 5 to 6 weeks without any issues. When I started having the problems, as part of my testing to validate my environment, I tested with my original wireless router again but it experienced the same connectivity issues. I'm not an expert by any means but I figured that since I do have a very stable environment, that hasn't really changed in years & that I have successfully been using their 10Meg line for 5 to 6 weeks that it must be something on the line/exchange at their end ? When I log onto my router it indicates DSL is down & that my broadband connection is disconnected.

Appreciate your comment though.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Thanks to all for their comments.

As an update - its all sorted now.

Eircom Engineer called out to the house & ended up needing to replace a wall socket & filter to rectify the fault. There was an intermittent issue with the socket connection that I'd not been aware of & that hadn't caused me any problems before last Thurs. Even when the socket was replaced, there was still a different issue that resulted in the DSL filter needing to be changed.

He was a good guy & very pleasant to deal with. Very efficient at the fault finding & explaining the problem. Thanks Eircom.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Glad you got it sorted Bonoman66! Nice to see that Eircom still has some good engineers in the field!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

nuxxx wrote: »
    technican up in dublin couple of weeks ago told me there having MASSIVE internal upgrades on the business packages

hope this doesnt dump your barrel but that amount of downtime for a company is totally unnaceptable

wee 100 posts ;)

And not a capital letter or a punctuation mark in any of them I bet!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

dub45 wrote: »
    And not a capital letter or a punctuation mark in any of them I bet!:rolleyes:
    Yeah! Why bother hey?! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Glad you got it sorted Bonoman66! Nice to see that Eircom still has some good engineers in the field!
    Whatever about Eircom generally but the out in the field type of lads are as sounds as they come.

• Advertisement
Advertisement