Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

26 too old?

Options
  • 30-06-2008 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any thoughts on goin back to college at 26?
    I'm hoping to apply next year for college to begin in September 2009, by which time I'll be 26!
    I'll be the last of my friends or anyone I know who's gone to college and was wondering about anyone elses experiences or thoughts?
    P.S. I know 26 isn't over the hill but it's been almost 9 years since I left school & still don't know what I want to do!! :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

46 Aint too old, pick a course and bloody well go for it. You wont regret it in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭DenMan

No age is too old as far as I am concerned. Like what the above poster said, pick a course you will enjoy and feel is right for you and go for it. I am going back at 28 this Sept and really looking forward to it. I met the lecturers and had a great time. I have the working experience and now need the proper education to compliment it. Good luck OP. You won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

fifomania wrote: »
    Anyone got any thoughts on goin back to college at 26?
    I'm hoping to apply next year for college to begin in September 2009, by which time I'll be 26!
    I'll be the last of my friends or anyone I know who's gone to college and was wondering about anyone elses experiences or thoughts?
    P.S. I know 26 isn't over the hill but it's been almost 9 years since I left school & still don't know what I want to do!! :o
    Erm.... 26 is just barely in the "mature" bracket. I was in college with women who had sons my age :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

the_syco wrote: »
    Erm.... 26 is just barely in the "mature" bracket. I was in college with women who had sons my age :D

Absolutely, you'll fit right in.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

the_syco wrote: »
    ... and ...? :pac:

OP, I've given the same answer to this one so often that I've just started quoting myself ... I know, I'm a lazy bugger! :o
    Within the last three years, NUIM have graduated ...

... a guy with his PhD at the age of 75, having started his BA at 66 when he retired

... a woman who completed her degree (part-time) at the age of 84, and who was only prevented by continuing to postgraduate study by ill health ...

... and they're only the ones I know about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭jaffa20

go NUI Maynooth!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

jaffa20 wrote: »
    go NUI Maynooth!! :D
    Lol, in fairness the other colleges have come on a lot in recent years re: mature students / adult education/ etc., but yeah ... NUIM have a very good record on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 patrickoneill0

Not at all - I'm 25 and not feeling too old at all, in fact I have a feeling that I will be one of the youngest "mature" (define mature :) ) student on the course I will be doing!

Advertisement