Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probably a stupid rookie question... (Acoustics)

Options
  • 30-06-2008 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hello people,
    Maybe some of you wiser people can help me here...long time reader first time poster..
    So...I have recently renevated my studio (I use the term loosely!)...and have a load of carpet left over from the old one. In my 'control room' is a laminate floor, mounted on plywood, with aeroboard underneath. Being the spanner I am I didn't really take into account the room acoustics during construction (I know, I know).
    Anyhoo...long story short, control room is relatively small and I am having the usual issues with bass and low frequencies in general, it's not terrible, but it could be better.. would there be any benefit (even minimal) in carpeting the floors/walls/ceilings???
    I intend to get some traps/tiles etc. also...but basically I have some sexy purple carpet that I don't want to dump and if I could get any use from it at all it would be great.
    If you have any suggestions, twould be great.
    Thanks guys....
    Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Hey mike,

don't use carpet, it's not really functional at all.

Get some of this stuff

http://www.thomann.de/ie/takustik_sap_pyramidenschaum.htm

off the thomann website. It's not that dear, and there's lots of places online in regards to the ideal placement of it depending on what its for.

Check out the link in my sig for some pics of my small studio, and if you've any more questions gimme a shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Hello people,
    Maybe some of you wiser people can help me here...long time reader first time poster..
    So...I have recently renevated my studio (I use the term loosely!)...and have a load of carpet left over from the old one. In my 'control room' is a laminate floor, mounted on plywood, with aeroboard underneath. Being the spanner I am I didn't really take into account the room acoustics during construction (I know, I know).
    Anyhoo...long story short, control room is relatively small and I am having the usual issues with bass and low frequencies in general, it's not terrible, but it could be better.. would there be any benefit (even minimal) in carpeting the floors/walls/ceilings???
    I intend to get some traps/tiles etc. also...but basically I have some sexy purple carpet that I don't want to dump and if I could get any use from it at all it would be great.
    If you have any suggestions, twould be great.
    Thanks guys....
    Mike

http://www.auralex.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭johnnylakes

Jeez that was quick...
    Thanks guys... I know of Auralex and Thomann ( and Paul Brewer :) ..) and do intend to acoustically treat the room also... was just wondering bout the carpet like..
    So to my next question.....
    Anybody want to buy some purple carpeT??? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

The carpet will have some effect ok, but it will be in the higher frequencies only. This is the 'easiest' band to treat as usually all the gear , floor carpet, humans, furniture, pets etc all make a positive contribution.

A room entirely carpeted will have that 'Rehearsal Room' sound.

Invariably in smaller rooms it's the lower frequencies that rock the boat, in fact, capsize it with no survivors bar bad mixes....

However what may well be of use, seeing as you have the stuff , is to roll it up and put in the corners vertically.

This will act as some sort of Bass trap, and 99% of the time Bass traps are needed.

Auralex has been mentioned and I've turned some awful rooms into some pretty good ones using it.

The bottom line is everything works, a pile of your Grannies jumpers in the corner WILL work as a bass trap if there's enough of them (jumpers, not Grannies)

The advantage with products like Auralex is their acoustician will spec your room for free . You'll know how much is needed and where to place it. I have great confidence in this.

I even had one situation where we did a studio in Roscommon that DIDN'T turn out right, in fact it was bad! I went back to Auralex , they admitted to a mistake in the spec and sent over 9 boxes Free of Charge to provide a solution.

Thats the sign of a good company. I think they make great products.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

And it can only be a Stupid Question if it's not asked!:cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement