Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the differences between...

Options
  • 30-06-2008 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I know this is very late to be asking but i've been on holiday for a while but what are the main differences betwen level 8 courses and level 6/7 courses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

A level 8 course results in a level 8 qualification. A level 6/7 course results in a level 6/7 qualification depending on which you do... (Btw the LC is a level 5 qualification.)
    I think you could roughly say that level 8 tends to be 4 years, and level 6/7 tends to be 3 years, of course that depends on the specific course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Level 8 is an honours degree, a Ba., Ba(mod)., Bsc. etc. It's what most universities offer.

Level 7 is an ordinary degree, say you go to University and oly do 3 years of a 4 year course, you will end up with a level 7 degree. Some colleges offer level 7 degrees only, and then you can progress onto another college and do one more year for the level 8.

Level 6 is like a PLC/Further Education certificate/diploma, it's basically less than a level 7 degree, but from it you can progress onto level 7, and from there onto level 8.

Hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Most level 8 courses are degrees (honours degrees). Level 6/7 are usually diploma/certficate courses and one or two ordinary degree courses. Leaving cert is considered level 4/5 on the education level and it goes all the way up to level 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

NFQ.jpg

Advertisement