Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So im starting a 10 day trial

Options
  • 30-06-2008 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭

Right im just after signing up for a 10 day trial.
    Got a bit sick of playing eve online.

What can i do to get the most out of the 10 days and get a feel for the game.

Suggestions for most fun character for a 10 day trial?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

omg how many patches does this client have to install to get going.

an original 3 gig install and sofar ive had over 1gig of patches downloaded

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

HAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAA

that is ****ing all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Zarbon

Welcome to the end of your life, my friend. You should have listened to my warnings. Now we're all doomed.....DOOMED I TELLS YA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Hes right, its a damn addictive game. When i first started playing i found the hunter a great first class, and still do as its my main. But ive just started on a mage and they are great fun. But it depends i guess, do you like fighting from a distance casting spells/shooting arrows or do you prefere to be up close and personal ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

I found hunters to be the most fun and easiest, or rogues - they're fun too.

Stay away from warriors...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

I found hunters to be the most fun and easiest, or rogues - they're fun too.

Stay away from warriors...

My head hurts....

Why do people recommend the "easiest" class?

Do you not feel that you are patronising a new player by suggesting that they are not capable of playing certain classes?

It should be noted that "Easiest" usually equates to "Most Boring"

The hunter class is probably the most boring in the game. Stand back, hit auto attack......

And Warriors are one of the most loved classes in the game and I had more fun levelling my warrior than any of the other classes, advising that he stays away from them is just not helpful at all for a new player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

your life is over.
    I downloaded the trial about 2 months ago, thought it was crap at first few days then got hooked.Started off as a necromancer but they are really tough to level up when only starting, so I changed to warrior.Game i find, is great fun as a warrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Paladin, priest, warrior here - like each of them for different reasons. Tanking is what I love most though, so my raiding main is a prot pally and I'm levelling a warrior to tank.

To the OP - this really is the end of your life ;) Don't be afraid to try everything and see what class suits you best, and don't be afraid to ask for help too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Zarbon

I recommend leveling a Paladin. You'll be laughing like a child with all the fun....no swearing involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Guys, I know its funny and all, but can we stop telling new players its the end of their life? Its seriously creepy, and completely untrue.

That and I know many people who have quit the game and lived happy, productive lives as a useful member of society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Mage (Lvl 70)
    Hunter (Lvl 35 and counting)
    Shaman (Lvl 19 and counting)
    Warlock (Lvl 16 for now)
    Paladin (Lvl 30 for now)
    Warrior (Lvl 10, end)

Classes I've played arranged from most fun to least, with levels inset (in case I'm like 1 level away from warrior getting really fun...)

Brother plays Rogue and considers it great.

Gl & HF is all I can really say, don't take the game too seriously, if you get murdered forget about it and wait till you're max level, then come back to that aera and destroy every enemy in sight, bloody Alliance......

i have already experienced the life drainingness of mmos.
    ive already played guild wars and eve online.

thought id give the ultimate life drainer that is wow a chance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ivan wrote: »
    That and I know many people who have quit the game and lived happy, productive lives as a useful member of society.
    Ya, but its the leaving thats the problem. I've "left" god only knows how many times, and it just doesnt stick. I just resubbed again :( (although i only did it cause my graphics card on the desktop failed, and this is the only thing that will run on my laptop...well, this and Eve)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Don't turn him off a warrior, they have their moments. Nothing better than killing someone being on 10% health and charging the next guy down with reckless abandon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I think with a trail u can lvl to 20 and that is it. Also cant trade with people and some other things until you get your full copy of wow.

I would just say start a few toons. And see what you like best. I know when i started the game first. I got a trail also & played the game for 2 times then stopped. Then maybe 6 months to a year later, got another trail and got hooked on it. Been Playing the game for almost a year now. Been in the same guild very much from the start. And it was our first venture in BT last week by our guild. We have come a long long way since kara.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

Hope you enjoy the game brokenarrows!

I played Paladin as my first character, have a mage and a shaman too.

IMO, try the first 5 levels of what ever job you can spare time to play, you will probally get thru 3 classes before you really fall in love with one.

Everyone I persuade to join I ask them what the wanna do, for example:

"I like a little bit of magic, hate healing, and I want to have a big sword"
    -Paladin, after level 10 - retribution spec

"I love Assassins Creed, theif, I wanna be some thing like that..."
    -Rogue, Assassination spec

"I love lord of the rings, love forrests and stuff like that, fairys and dryads, i wanna be among stuff like that"
    -Druid, any spec really

It goes on and on... :)
    Just think in your head what you wanna do and how to do it, even what you wanna look like and with a little sudgestion you will be it.

Anyway, enjoy it! Hope you enjoy the trial and stick with the game
    GL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Played a warlock to 63 and a rogue to 70. Both fun in their own ways.

Thought that might help you decide, most groups for Dungeon/Instances/Raids require a Tank and a Healer. If want to be one of these but don't know which, Paladins and Druids can be both, but druids can be a bird, cat, bear, think a seal or fish too, and also a tree lol.

If think gonna solo a lot Hunters or Warlocks would be a thought as have a pet or minion and can help :D , another option would be a mage as can freeze mobs in place & fire aoe spells at them.

Rogues can sneak about in stealth and maybe get to places others couldnt on their own. Also have lockpicking so can open doors and locked chests / boxes.

Does depend what you wanna do like but could even try each for a while or make another trial account when that one expires like.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Dellarocca

Warlock (Lvl 70)
    Hunter (Lvl 70)
    Mage (Lvl 38)
    Priest (Lvl 36)
    Druid (Lvl 33)
    Shaman (Lvl 28)
    Paladin (Lvl 18)
    Rogue (Lvl 15)
    Warrior (Lvl 13)

Seems I prefer ranged DPS...

Each to their own though. each class has their advantages, each has their weaknesses. Find out whether you like up-close-and-personal fighting or ranged. That will make your life much easier. If you don't fancy getting hit at all, go for hunter/warlock as they have pets that mean you rarely take any damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

I'v downloaded this trial, played it for the 10 days, and got nowhere! Seriously, i just didn't know what to do....... pitty i didn't know about this WoW forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Statso

Get back to eve you noob. WoW hasn't got a patch on it. (I should know, i played 700+ hours of WoW before Eve)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Broken get back on Eve and stay away from this WoW pish, you know in your heart Eve is a million times better! :D

R0ot wrote: »
    Broken get back on Eve and stay away from this WoW pish, you know in your heart Eve is a million times better! :D
    Wow, way to constructively add to the thread/forums guys.

Perhaps now I can come over to the EvE forums and take turns commenting on how much of a wankstain on MMO's, EvE really is. I mean, since there isnt really any skill involved, its mainly just about using pre-set builds and having the necessary in-game skills to click shoot. Then let the computer fly around the enemies ship until one of you explodes. Yes, infinitely better than WoW.

Or perhaps, each MMO is made for a different niche market. And in order to call a player truly yours, you need to let them go and explore other MMOs. If they dont return, then it was never meant to be but if they do... then who cares, Warcraft is probably better off without those quitters anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Can someone tell me is there a catch in WoW. I was in zavvi today and seen a box set thingy, all 3 wow gammes for 25€ on sale. Like..... is that all it costs, or do you have to pay a sub or something?? Seems to cheap to be true. I think i might buy Wow for my mac and play it and see if i get anywhere......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

johnk123 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me is there a catch in WoW. I was in zavvi today and seen a box set thingy, all 3 wow gammes for 25€ on sale. Like..... is that all it costs, or do you have to pay a sub or something?? Seems to cheap to be true. I think i might buy Wow for my mac and play it and see if i get anywhere......

2 Games*

The original WOW and the expansion.

And yes there is a monthly fee on top of this, 12.99 per month or slightly less if you pay for 3/6 months at a time.

Well worth it at least to try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Ivan wrote: »
    Wow, way to constructively add to the thread/forums guys.

Perhaps now I can come over to the EvE forums and take turns commenting on how much of a wankstain on MMO's, EvE really is. I mean, since there isnt really any skill involved, its mainly just about using pre-set builds and having the necessary in-game skills to click shoot. Then let the computer fly around the enemies ship until one of you explodes. Yes, infinitely better than WoW.

You could say that but you would be so wrong id have to put on my wizzard hat and cast lvl 5 wedgie on your gladiator pants giveing you negative 5 movement points would you like that? i think not how would you close on the midget spell caster ? crap like that will haunt you for the rest of your life

/me puts down a pos to claim sov for the eve forum R0ot for sir molle roll

bizmark wrote: »
    You could say that but you would be so wrong id have to put on my wizzard hat and cast lvl 5 wedgie on your gladiator pants giveing you negative 5 movement points would you like that? i think not how would you close on the midget spell caster ? crap like that will haunt you for the rest of your life

/me puts down a pos to claim sov for the eve forum R0ot for sir molle roll
    There is a fine line between friendly banter and being a dick. Try to remember that while posting please, the EvE pride parade is that way ---> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56468571#post56468571

right so im a human mage at the moment. lvl10 ooohhhhh fear me! haha.

anyway its interesting game. just doing small quests and stuff. making some money.

Im hanging around Elwynn Forest and surrounding areas at the moment.

Do you guys think its better to keep moving further and further afield exploring while your young or to just keep in the same areas at the start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Atm i have as follows

Warlock Lvl 59
    Paladin Lvl 25
    Rogue Lvl 12
    Druid Lvl 6

I think I'm gonna concentrate on my rogue when I level my lock. Maybe bring the Pally to 29 twink!

Man i'm gettin so in touch with all the buzz words lol!

But enjoy the game, let us know how u go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

well the quests that you do will make you progress into the next area's but even if you want to mess around with your skills and talents on low lvl mobs be my guest. Maybe start up fishing as a secondary profession and build that up. Just an idea if you want to stay around this area for a while otherwise carry on with your quests. gl

• Advertisement

how does one go about starting a second profession?

Advertisement