Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Points with handheld speed gun??

Options
  • 30-06-2008 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I was driving into portlaoise this morning from the stadbally direction. I passed the cemetary and was coming down the hill. I wasn't paying much attention, it being Monday morning and all, until I realised the gard in the unmarked silver BMW with the handheld speed gun out the window.

I saw him and then looked at my speedometer, which was at 40mph by the time I got to be bottom of the hill. My question is.....

Can you get penalty points in the post from a handheld speed gun? Or does it have to be on a tripod??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

Oh god..... you should have searched the threads before posting this..... prepare for the onslaught!!!

it has to be on the tripod as far as i know. only the fixed cameras i.e. gatso can issue you fixed penalties without pullingyou over first!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Scottie99

If you weren't pulled you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

If there was a handheld laser gun (either mounted on tripod or held in hand) you are chased or flagged down so that the Garda can issue your ticket, which is posted to you a number of weeks later.

GATSO vans and fixed cameras issue fines based solely on vehicle registrations, they take a picture of the rear (or front in some GATSO vans parked with traffic flow) and your fine is issued again by post, IIRC with a picture of your car and the driver or the rear of your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

They might try to chance their arm by sending you a speeding ticket + points for this offense, If they do demand a photo. Many would just pay it without following it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I'd say your grand,woulda come after you if you were speeding especially when they're in the 5 Series!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 justin.rattigan

Cheers for all the info folks, that has put my mind at ease.

Advertisement