Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truly depressing article on men, women and work.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Wibbs wrote: »
    You can see that with cars in this country. Car sales here really took off when the number plates that showed the year came in. Really took off and many in the trade will tell you it was women driving that up. "Going up the numbers" to show the neighbours that their overdraft was bigger than the joneses.

I've been saying that for years, rarely hear it echoed.
    We have similar opinions +1 respek points :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Quality wrote: »
    Ah she knows it already, she is 9. I tell her to go for rich men, who drive BMW's and make sure they have a nice holiday home for their mother in law to go to...

FAIL! Rich men don't drive BMWs. They haven't been a luxury car in many many years. Research. Send your daughter to a Swiss finishing school.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

ntlbell wrote: »
    It's a very personal thing will always depend on the importance you put on money/personal possesions etc

Well I can tell you, as someone who has barely had two pennies to rub together for almost three years, I will be very disappointed if my first paycheck doesnt give me a boost in a months time. Not having money while my friends have been earning has been really difficult to deal with.

Being poor, and struggling to pay bills sucks, for most people. So it stands to reason that they will be a little happier when not struggling to pay bills. Money will make everyone happier up to a certain level (and that level will be a personal thing, yes)

This is not news people!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Wibbs wrote: »

neither will a holiday home surrounded by the same neighbours in some transplanted suburban ghetto in what used to be the Costa Del Arse, that new patagonian knobwood kitchen designed by someone with an incomprehensible name won't either.

Actually I was thrilled when my parents bought an appartment in France, don't tar everyone with the same brush :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

kowloon wrote: »
    FAIL! Rich men don't drive BMWs. They haven't been a luxury car in many many years. Research. Send your daughter to a Swiss finishing school.

One of these babies of course....

2CA.JPG

minimum €100k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Ah she knows it already, she is 9. I tell her to go for rich men, who drive BMW's and make sure they have a nice holiday home for their mother in law to go to...

And what if she does marry a rich man, and has children with him and they fall on hard times. She could end up not only struggling to keep her family afloat but doing so with a man that she married for all the wrong reasons...
    If we're talking about marrying pragmatically then marrying a rich man is not necessarily the pragmatic option because there's no sure way of telling if he'll still be rich tomorrow.

And what if she does marry a rich man, and has children with him and they fall on hard times. She could end up not only struggling to keep her family afloat but doing so with a man that she married for all the wrong reasons...
    If we're talking about marrying pragmatically then marrying a rich man is not necessarily the pragmatic option because there's no sure way of telling if he'll still be rich tomorrow.

Ah come on...

Hands up here who would not like to see their children financially secure in the future??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Ah come on...

Hands up here who would not like to see their children financially secure in the future??

I'm sure when I have children I'd like them to be financially secure but given that any couple might fall on financially hard times I'd like to know that should that if the money goes there's something more in the marriage to get them through it.

That's certainly what I'd want for myself.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Ah come on...

Financially secure yes, but also financially independent.
    I'd rather any daughter I have is self sufficient enough to look after herself, just in case the loaded man she marries ups leaves her at some stage.:D
    I know so many women who would be royally screwed if their relationship broke up, I will never be left in that position and I hope any children I have aren't either.

GinnyJo wrote: »
    I'd rather any daughter I have is self sufficient enough to look after herself, just in case the loaded man she marries ups leaves her at some stage.:D
    I know so many women who would be royally screwed if their relationship broke up, I will never be left in that position and I hope any children I have aren't either.

+1
    In fact, I'd quite like my kids to have to work hard at some point too.
    That £2 an hour I got working part time through college taught me some important lessons about the value of money and how to live within my means.

• Advertisement

GinnyJo wrote: »

Good point, and that is where money comes into the picture again. It is not cheap to put a child through college anymore, Again if money was not an object this would not be a problem.

As did the 12 hour 6pm-6am shifts for £2.50 at 15, that I did.
    Yes it may have been illegal, my parents sat me down and tried to stop me, but as they say now it was a matter of weighing up the pros and cons of letting me do what I wanted to.
    TBH I think its given me a good grounding, right now I can't believe the amount of debt people will get in to get "stuff", noone seems to save for stuff anymore, right now I'm living in a house thats 2/3rds finished and I budget, compromise and save for things I need, while all around me people continue their lifestyles while sticking the "stuff" on the credit cards.

Good point, and that is where money comes into the picture again. It is not cheap to put a child through college anymore, Again if money was not an object this would not be a problem.

Don't you think though, that having to work for things gives a sense of satisfaction you wouldn't get if it was easy and money was just there?
    I suppose because I've been working in some shape or form since I was 15 I'm good with the money I earn.

Because things weren't handed to me, I appreciate what I have. It was always drilled into me that you don't buy what you can't afford.
    So I don't owe a cent on my credit card, don't drive a Beemer - even though I'd have no problem getting the loan for one, I don't want what I consider unnecessary debt.

There are very few people who can sign blank cheques to pay for college fees etc. The vast majority of people have to budget in shape or form.

Quality college is not as scary expensive as some people make out.
    My parents still tell the story of the day I told them I was going to college. I was 7, gotten my first chemistry set, and they told me they sat late up into the night trying to figure out how they'd manage to put me through college. We weren't poor but we weren't well off, my mother couldn't work while we were growing up as she was quite ill.
    But we got the best they could give us and like Dragan said i know my parents went without a lot for us to have something.
    In regards to college I worked part-time all through college, and my parents would tell you themselves they rarely put their hand into their pocket for me.
    If I didn't have money I didn't have stuff, fee's were about 300 euros a year as far as I remember, and I paid them from my summer money, then my weekly wages sorted me out otherwise.
    If I didn't have money I didn't go out, if i didn't have money I didn't buy new clothes every month, if I didn't have money I didn't buy crap.

You survive, you live and grow up, thats what college is about not about Mammy and Daddy buying you a new car so you can swan in whenever you feel like it, I've met those people, I've studied with those people and tbh they were more then not the ones that dropped out when things got tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Money does buy happiness.
    Riiight....
    I love my family and my kids very much. I make the most of my time out of work with my kids.
    Why? You could use that time to buy things. In fact, why did you even bother having kids? They're just putting financial strain on your life, and sure, you can be happy with just your money and material items. :rolleyes:
    Cool. If I have kids, male or female, I'm going to tell them that their abilities are actually worth something and that with hard work they can do anything they want to do and be anything they want to be independent of anyone else.
    It is not cheap to put a child through college anymore
    Fees are almost 100% free.....

Spending money gives me satisfaction...

Yes I know what your talking bout girls. I should feel proud to have a job, and make good money.

But I see my sisters having money without having to work for it. And you know what they say about the grass being greener.

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Why? You could use that time to buy things. In fact, why did you even bother having kids? They're just putting financial strain on your life, and sure, you can be happy with just your money and material items. :rolleyes:

Gosh that is really a horrible thing to say to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

One of these babies of course....

2CA.JPG

minimum €100k
    Zero class. All you've got there is a man with an overdraft.
    If you want wealth, look for the man who isn't driving his car.

Spending money gives me satisfaction...

Yes I know what your talking bout girls. I should feel proud to have a job, and make good money.

But I see my sisters having money without having to work for it. And you know what they say about the grass being greener.

I understand where you're coming from, to a point. Of course I'd love to win the Lotto!
    But you know, I have to work for my money, that's the way it is. So I work hard and I enjoy what I DO have.

Envy can eat you up.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

JC 2K3 wrote: »

Careful now

• Advertisement

I understand where you're coming from, to a point. Of course I'd love to win the Lotto!
    But you know, I have to work for my money, that's the way it is. So I work hard and I enjoy what I DO have.

Envy can eat you up.

I have pointed out, I am very happy in my relationship and I have a great life, Yes we do work hard for everything we get, and yes I should be really proud, My daughter 9 sees how hard I work she knows that money doesnt grow on trees. Although it took a while to drum that into her.:)

But seriously, The point I am trying to get across is that money can make life a lot easier for people. For me money would bring more comfort to my already happy life. Something less to worry about. And more avenues open to my kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Zulu wrote: »
    Zero class. All you've got there is a man with an overdraft.
    If you want wealth, look for the man who isn't driving his car.

Or, is driving a bog standard car that gets from A to B. Cars are a poor investment - and compared to other assets don't hold their value at all.

I thought that article was sad reading. Although i may have once or twice indulged in day dreaming about rolling on a bed covered in (clean) 100 euro bank notes, i'd much prefer to have a nice man in my life to share that bed with.

Money doesn't hug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Gosh that is really a horrible thing to say to me...
    Didn't intend to be hurtful. You said money buys happiness. If that were really true for you, you wouldn't be bothering to have kids.

Just making the point that there is more to life.
    But seriously, The point I am trying to get across is that money can make life a lot easier for people. For me money would bring more comfort to my already happy life. Something less to worry about. And more avenues open to my kids.
    That's fair enough, but bringing more comfort to your already happy life is an entirely different thing to money buying that happiness in the first place. And I don't think money is important enough that you would make sure your daughter marries a rich man. That would be closing avenues to her, no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Quality, it's understood that more money would make your life a little easier hence making you happier.

But saying something retarded like....
    I will be grooming my daughter towards rich men when she is older. Definitely!!

..only makes me feel sorrow for your child because you really do have a twisted view on things.

Maybe try and teach your daughter to be a strong, independant woman who can give HERSELF the lifestyle that you always wanted rather than seek it out in the form of a wealthy man.

It's sickening that people like you are even allowed to have children tbh.

Oh MM, give over.

Quality, it's understood that more money would make your life a little easier hence making you happier.

But saying something retarded like....

..only makes me feel sorrow for your child because you really do have a twisted view on things.

Maybe try and teach your daughter to be a strong, independant woman who can give HERSELF the lifestyle that you always wanted rather than seek it out in the form of a wealthy man.

It's sickening that people like you are even allowed to have children tbh.

You dont need to feel sorry for my child at all dearest, She will have all the opportunities I can afford for her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You dont need to feel sorry for my child at all dearest, She will have all the opportunities I can afford for her.
    All well and good, for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

how do you put that across to a nine year old, naw it does not work that way, never has never will, give her back her childhood.

I have pointed out, I am very happy in my relationship and I have a great life, Yes we do work hard for everything we get, and yes I should be really proud, My daughter 9 sees how hard I work she knows that money doesnt grow on trees. Although it took a while to drum that into her.:)

Personally for me I dont think that a child of 9 is too young to know the value of money..

I dont see how that is taking their childhood away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Jeez...I had another read of that article. It sums up many people's lives. Consumer units defining their individuality by buying sh*te they don't need to impress people they don't especially like.

Advertisement