Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cops in Life/ Death situation

Options
  • 30-06-2008 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi all

I was just wondering what peoples opinions were on what happened to me last week.

I was driving in Dublin and talking on my phone (on handsfree) and I made a turn onto a road and saw a checkpoint further up the road. As I was speaking with someone (work related) I pulled in to finish my call so as I wasn't being rude to the guard or the person I was speaking to on the phone.

Next minute the guard comes flying down in his patrol jeep and hops out all dramatic and starts tapping with his key on my window for me to open the window.

When I wind down the window he starts telling me I was going to get penatly points for being on the phone, when I said I was on bluetooth he said that I had it in my hands (which I only did to hang up coz he was hitting my window, also I was stopped) Then said that he knew I was only skipping the checkpoint for a buzz and that I was putting his life in danger by him having to come chase my parked car :confused:

The whole way through it I stayed calm I didn't answer back or anything. He didn't give me the points in the end. I honestly felt like just laughing at him getting so worked up, or have I missed the point (or points:D) are you not allowed to finish your call or do you have to drive through immediatly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

sham08 wrote: »
    Hi all

I was just wondering what peoples opinions were on what happened to me last week.

I was driving in Dublin and talking on my phone (on handsfree) and I made a turn onto a road and saw a checkpoint further up the road. As I was speaking with someone (work related) I pulled in to finish my call so as I wasn't being rude to the guard or the person I was speaking to on the phone.

Next minute the guard comes flying down in his patrol jeep and hops out all dramatic and starts tapping with his key on my window for me to open the window.

When I wind down the window he starts telling me I was going to get penatly points for being on the phone, when I said I was on bluetooth he said that I had it in my hands (which I only did to hang up coz he was hitting my window, also I was stopped) Then said that he knew I was only skipping the checkpoint for a buzz and that I was putting his life in danger by him having to come chase my parked car :confused:

The whole way through it I stayed calm I didn't answer back or anything. He didn't give me the points in the end. I honestly felt like just laughing at him getting so worked up, or have I missed the point (or points:D) are you not allowed to finish your call or do you have to drive through immediatly?

Far as I know you cant have the phone in your hands. and then there is the defination of stopped, were the keys in the ingition? was the car running?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

He just thought you'd something to hide.
    I've seen plenty of people do u-turns / park up when they see a checkpoint, they're nearly always chased.

Did he ask to see your license?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sham08

Slig wrote: »
    Far as I know you cant have the phone in your hands. and then there is the defination of stopped, were the keys in the ingition? was the car running?
    The keys were in the ignition but the engine was turned off

Yea he did ask to see the license. I didn't even mind him coming after me but telling me he had a wife and kid and that I was putting his life in danger I thought was a little over the top TBH

Bet he was never stationed in Limerick:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Homer

One word ....... Jobsworth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,433 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Why didn't you just tell the person you were talking to that you had to stop talking for a minute because you were going through a check point?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

looks like you got a traffic corp gardai.... most if not all are gob****es and would piss on there mothers if they got to use the little computers they have now to give out points...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Yea he did ask to see the license.

Oops, watch out for points, or did he keep it long enough to take details?

Should heve told him to catch some murders and your paying his wages etc. that usually calms them down:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

anto-t wrote: »
    looks like you got a traffic core gardai.... most if not all are gob****es and would piss on there mothers if they got to use the little computers they have now to give out points...

Another garda bashing thread for you to jump aboard.

Do us all a favour and learn how to spell correctly before posting again. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

looks like you got a traffic core gardai.... most if not all are gob****es and would piss on there mothers if they got to use the little computers they have now to give out points...

That's some chip you have on your shoulder there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I didn't even mind him coming after me but telling me he had a wife and kid and that I was putting his life in danger I thought was a little over the top TBH

Seems OTT.
    He was probably upset that he wasted his time coming after you and got nothing for it.

maybe he meant "core" as in "Hardcore":D.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,433 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

looks like you got a traffic core gardai.... most if not all are gob****es

You know most / all of them, do you?

Consider yourself warned.

Oops, watch out for points, or did he keep it long enough to take details?

Should heve told him to catch some murders and your paying his wages etc. that usually calms them down:p

Nah he only took it and glanced at it, haha I was tempted to say that but thought it might not be the best thing in the world to say, think he would have put me in the electric chair if i had answered back to him

I would say that 99.9% of the time somebody avoiding a checkpoint has something to hide. I seen a skip lorry on its side once where he came around a corner to find a checkpoint, tried swerving into a side road and flipped. Didnt have any roadtax and the noise of the skip hitting the road alerted the checkpoint

Ah yea its fair enough him coming down to check it out, but why when he sees that it was all in innocence does he have to have to start acting the big man?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

If I pull my car to the side of the road to answer my phone, the garda can still do me for it even with my engine switched off and hand brake on?? I dont think they can do that now as I'm not driving...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Traffic corp can rude everyone including, my local superintendents wife and daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

unkel wrote: »
    You know most / all of them, do you?

Consider yourself warned.

this guy would sell his granny!!!!

FACT!!!

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/19940/58594.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

There are gob****es in every job. Gardai are no different, majority IMHO (don't have scientific to back this one up ;) ) are great people who do a fantastic job. I have only ever encountered one or two assholes and I have relations in the gardai myself who would argue same.

Having said that, i don't think we should tolerate bad behavior from a garda to the same extent as you would in another job. The position of garda is a very privileged one in this country and carries a lot of power and responsibility which can easily be abused.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭geoff29

yeh - i'd say there's a lot of crap at the checkpoints that the cops have to put up with.

I once watched a bmw x5 reverse at least a half km backwards, along the bus lane of the N11 to avoid a checkpoint. Your man then parked the car in the bus-lane and ran off. I always thought that was a bit odd...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Yeah, works all the time, that one. That would never antagonise anybody to do you for whatever they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Any chance of renaming the thread to reflect its utter lack of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Hi all

Hmm!

You behaved in an appropriate manner

Unfortunately this type of unprofessional behaviour by the Gardai is quite common place.

These miscreants need to be weeded out from the force as they achieve nothing for the average amount of Gardai that actually do a good job despite having so many of these fools around

Next time and believe me if you are a law compliant driver you will run into his counterparts again, note the twats number so you can take it further if need be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Bee wrote: »
    Hmm!

You behaved in an appropriate manner

Unfortunately this type of unprofessional behaviour by the Gardai is quite common place.

These miscreants need to be weeded out from the force as they achieve nothing for the average amount of Gardai that actually do a good job despite having so many of these fools around

Next time and believe me if you are a law compliant driver you will run into his counterparts again, note the twats number so you can take it further if need be

If you make a complaint against a garda and the outcome fails on your part the officer whom you complained against gets your name and address for his own reference.. I dont understand the point of that. I think the privacy of the person should be protected.. I have seen some right planks in the force over the years that should be on traffic duty not patrol work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

I sometimes wonder why I read through threads like this. It only drives me frekin' insane. The amount of <snip>s who feel the need to wade in with their anti-Gardai rubbish every freakin' time.

The OP had nothing to hide. Pulled in for a genuine reason. That's fine. But you can see it from the Cop's point of view. They see a car pulling into the side of the road right before a check point. Of course they think you are up to something. You could have been ramming drugs up your hole, sticking a gun under the seat..... anything. But it sure as hell looked suspicious.

Cop tore down to the OP thinking he was up to something. Was probably a bit high and expecting trouble so he was a bit short with the OP. Not ideal, but that's human nature. The OP done the right thing, stayed nice, explained himself. No points, we all move on.

Take the Guards Number and report him...!!!!!! For what..... Doing his job...???? FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

BnA wrote: »

The OP had nothing to hide. Pulled in for a genuine reason. That's fine. But you can see it from the Cop's point of view. They see a car pulling into the side of the road right before a check point. Of course they think you are up to something. You could have been ramming drugs up your hole, sticking a gun under the seat..... anything. But it sure as hell looked suspicious.

Exactly what I was thinking ... He may have been a bit OTT in his reaction, but in fairness, you could have been doing anything. You could have been calling a drunken mate behind you in traffic even. The guard has no way of knowing.

but in fairness, you could have been doing anything.
    I completely agree and that is why I have no problem with him coming over to check it out. My problem was the way he dealt with me after he realised that it was all innocent, making out that it was only him being sound that he was letting me 'off the hook'. Because I don't think that I did anything wrong. But absolutely no problem with him coming over to check it out, or even being a bit worked up initially, but I think he should have chilled out a bit when it was clear I wasn't skipping the checkpoint for a 'buzz':confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Homer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I completely agree and that is why I have no problem with him coming over to check it out. My problem was the way he dealt with me after he realised that it was all innocent, making out that it was only him being sound that he was letting me 'off the hook'. Because I don't think that I did anything wrong. But absolutely no problem with him coming over to check it out, or even being a bit worked up initially, but I think he should have chilled out a bit when it was clear I wasn't skipping the checkpoint for a 'buzz':confused:.

What sort of road was it?! Were you pulled in on a hard shoulder?! Maybe you were causing an obstruction, and he was standing in the road while traffic was coming at him?! I don't know, I wasn't there.. but there must have been some reason!

I may be completely wrong here, but isn't it illegal to pull in to use the phone?

Not directed at you OP, but the amount of muppets who will stop ANYWHERE is incredible....

Advertisement