Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain biking in the Northwest

Options
  • 30-06-2008 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Does anyone know of any mountain biking trails in Donegal, Sligo or Leitrim.
    And they dont have to be official ones!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Donegal adventure centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Nice one smashey. I never knew such a place existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

muffler wrote: »
    Nice one smashey. I never knew such a place existed.
    You should try it some time. :D

smashey wrote: »
    You should try it some time. :D
    It would do wonders for my piles, wouldnt it? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

I just took up mountain biking and I have'nt got a clue of any good treks around home.. Would love to know of any..
    I have gone on a few forestry roads but have'nt really come across any good treks.. Does anyone know if you need permission if you want to create your own one??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Same rules apply as walking I'd imagine.

Some of the forest parks may have trails you could use.

Try Gartan Outdoor Education Centre too, there are a few forest trails around it that would not be as busy as the likes of Ards or Glenveagh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

yes you would need permission, i have pretty much given up mtb because my fave trails keep getting tarmaced if you want built trails you could try gortin glen near omagh dunno if its officially open yet, otherwise its sitting with an os map trying to work out rideable tracks and whether or not you can link them up have fun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

There used to be a good dirt track in Letterkenny that went from Upper Lurgybrack down to Leck years ago, but I think it's gone now...sorry that really wasn't helpful at all....

The forest around Gartan Lake are cool for mountain biking I used to do it loads years ago...

You need to be careful about creating your own, me and few mates tried it when we were younger in the woods surrounding Rockhill army camp, until we were chased off by a load of soldiers :eek:

Ah but I miss mountain biking... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

There is loads of forestry around Lough Eske.. I was thinking of around there...

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭hupyago

heres a few
    All Mountain bike trails across the country have now been completed on
    http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/
    The Kingfisher Trail is the first long-distance trail of its kind in Ireland
    http://www.kingfishercycletrail.com/
    not so long ago I came upon a travel forum where someone was looking for cyclists to join him
    there used to be a few hidden bike trails in union woods near where I live
    although its been logged since I was on them last

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 John Doherty

Does anyone know of any mountain biking trails in Donegal, Sligo or Leitrim.
    And they dont have to be official ones!!

slieve league has a stretch of road where a new visitor centre is to be built..its a nice run down hill, but ..you gotta climb it first, something like 600 feet? well, the peak of slieve league.have some pictures, will try get them up later.

over at glencollumbcille, theres the tower + drum loop? ..anyway, the hill with the telecoms mast is good craic goin down, and you can head into the old port from here too - its mainly for walkers, but didn't say bikes weren't permitted.the tower path is rough..and dangerous, but i went down it :)

went down mount errigal too, but it was rubbish..too many rocks and then just bog near the bottom, stopping all the time.

from the north side of glenveagh is a walkers path, its not bad..providing you have someone at main entrance to collect you.

glen gesh pass is a nice run down hill also, just before ardara.
    mamore hill in inishowen?

Ards Forest park is not bad either, theres probably loads of places.. i'm mainly interested in long/fast steep decents rather than dirt tracks, so i was checkin out mountains you could potentially cycle up or down and slieve league was the best one i found yet..but thats probably because there is a visitor centre being built and a road/path is being cleared.

it was on my mind recently to start a website on mountain biking in donegal, as there seemed to be a lack of info..but i'll check out the sites mentioned now.

btw: some parts of letterkenny are not bad either.

I was up around the Ardara peninsula last week and took in a bit of mountain biking along the way.The best option is to just buy an OS map of your region and look for tracks on mountains.I only found 2 routes while I was out there but there is a possibility of a third near Glengesh(I didn't exactly have the energy after climbing the steep side of Glengesh :P)

I'll put up the OS co-ordinates for anyone interested and a few photos of the tracks.John has already covered the first track going from Glencolmcille into Port.It starts from 539-859 on OS map 10 and follows a well paved track to the mast where it at first follows rocky double track,then grassy double track and then some more rocky track into Port.

The track is the green line running diagonally here
    57B261D7E0764BD7BC5618F4BA8B9642-800.jpg

Top Doubletrack
    74875B762F1140898149E8AD21CF30EF-500.jpg

Grassy Doubletrack
    219B871414BC4FD9859E583F5607D727-500.jpg

Bottom Bit
    55D85DA40B5E48CD957243B40C312156-500.jpg

The second is a track which descends down by the side of Assarnacally Waterfall.It is reached from the road beside Lough Naloughraman at 672-894.This ones quite fast and fun.It follows nice grassy doubletrack at the start before it reaches two steep switchbacks.Then it gets a bit faster and rockier before you're shot out beside the Ardara-Maghera road.

The dark line running diagonally from right to left is the track,you can just about make out the two hairpins in the mid-left of the photo.
    CD98B90C6319466E80EE389B22B3DCCA-800.jpg

Start of track
    DA3FA5CEDE12404D8B9BD2E8A7C7456A-500.jpg

Grassy Descent
    B2DCAE18ADA24F2287DA3F92698B8A1F-500.jpg

First Switchback
    A94A111C40994A93BD32D0B085FB4728-500.jpg

Bottom
    544F15D1A15F4BC5A72E4B489E80C2A1-500.jpg

The other track is at 656-817 and looks very interesting too.An idea for anyone that's up that way.Thanks for those suggestions John,next time I'm up there I must try some of those other routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Fair play to ya man, thats the most helpful post ive seen on this site yet!

Good work Inibaz - well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Would love to try this sometime. Any one know where to hire mountain bikes, I'm thinking of bringing a group for this craic.

Thanks everyone.I think there's a bike rental place in Ardara however I'm unsure if it's just road bikes(nearly all bike rental places are.)It's worth a shot none the less though.Make sure you know the basics of how to fix the bike or a puncture before you go.If something goes wrong it can be a long walk to the nearest town!If the bike rental doesn't work out you could also try any bike shop near you.Just ask if they have any old unsold mountain bikes that they're willing to rent,another long shot though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SaneGall

LoanShark wrote: »
    There is loads of forestry around Lough Eske.. I was thinking of around there...

Hi, just wondering...where are the forestry paths you talk about in the first post?...:) close to Lough Eske?:o:)..for mountain biking:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

When i was in the regional, we had a downhill mountain bike club, we used to do a good bit of training in drumboe woods in stranorlar, there is some very good trails in the hilly section on the right hand side of the road, these is also a little know downhill mountain bike track near killross, its savage craic but a bit dangerous if you go full tilt at it without first waliking it, i broke a few bikes up there (belonging to the college :p), there is a small road on your left about 200yards after you turn right at killross heading for ballybofey, its about 1.5 miles up there to the bottem of the trail its a mud track though to get to it, its starts at a tower, can't remember the name on it now, on the top af a hill up there maybe some of the more local people could let ya know the proper name and if you need permission to use it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SaneGall

thanks...but that's really too far away for me :(..i'm only in my teens:( thanks for the info though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

The Ardara Gap Challenge does a bit of off-road biking every September. They use that bit of "waterfall" track, bits of the Bluestack way coming down onto Glenties via Meenahalla and also the old road through the Croaghs. Might put some pics up. They check the routes beforehand, in case mountain rescue is needed.

There is a website somewhere with route maps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ocean Addicts

Gartan Outdoor Education Centre have bikes and can do lessons as a number of the instructional staff are progressing through the Mountain Bike Leader qualification framework. Think they will be developing mountain biking in the future too
    That track mentioned above from Glencolmecille to Port is pretty good. There is a steeper downhill to the west of the mast toward the old watch tower.
    Potential for good tracks in Donegal is massive!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 slashcut

Howrya all,

Thought this may be of use: a new club set up for the purpose of promoting mountain biking in the county
    http://www.donegalmtb.com/home.php

Have a look at the Bogman race (link on the homepage) which takes place this weekend (31st july 2011). Looks fantastic actually. As far as I know you can rent mountain bikes for the day as well through the website.

:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

slashcut wrote: »
    Howrya all,

Thought this may be of use: a new club set up for the purpose of promoting mountain biking in the county
    http://www.donegalmtb.com/home.php

Have a look at the Bogman race (link on the homepage) which takes place this weekend (31st july 2011). Looks fantastic actually. As far as I know you can rent mountain bikes for the day as well through the website.

:-)

The Bogman XC Race took place on Sunday, it was a huge success with 55 riders taking part. The distance was 16km and the winning time a blistering 45 mins. All the riders came away looking for more and it is hoped more events will be organised in the future.

Check out www.donegalmtb.com and also check us out on facebook. Sign up to the forum on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 downhilldude97

Where do i put them coordinates?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

I was up around the Ardara peninsula last week and took in a bit of mountain biking along the way.The best option is to just buy an OS map of your region and look for tracks on mountains.I only found 2 routes while I was out there but there is a possibility of a third near Glengesh(I didn't exactly have the energy after climbing the steep side of Glengesh :P)

I'll put up the OS co-ordinates for anyone interested and a few photos of the tracks.John has already covered the first track going from Glencolmcille into Port.It starts from 539-859 on OS map 10 and follows a well paved track to the mast where it at first follows rocky double track,then grassy double track and then some more rocky track into Port.

The track is the green line running diagonally here
    57B261D7E0764BD7BC5618F4BA8B9642-800.jpg

Top Doubletrack
    74875B762F1140898149E8AD21CF30EF-500.jpg

Grassy Doubletrack
    219B871414BC4FD9859E583F5607D727-500.jpg

Bottom Bit
    55D85DA40B5E48CD957243B40C312156-500.jpg

The second is a track which descends down by the side of Assarnacally Waterfall.It is reached from the road beside Lough Naloughraman at 672-894.This ones quite fast and fun.It follows nice grassy doubletrack at the start before it reaches two steep switchbacks.Then it gets a bit faster and rockier before you're shot out beside the Ardara-Maghera road.

The dark line running diagonally from right to left is the track,you can just about make out the two hairpins in the mid-left of the photo.
    CD98B90C6319466E80EE389B22B3DCCA-800.jpg

Start of track
    DA3FA5CEDE12404D8B9BD2E8A7C7456A-500.jpg

Grassy Descent
    B2DCAE18ADA24F2287DA3F92698B8A1F-500.jpg

First Switchback
    A94A111C40994A93BD32D0B085FB4728-500.jpg

Bottom
    544F15D1A15F4BC5A72E4B489E80C2A1-500.jpg

The other track is at 656-817 and looks very interesting too.An idea for anyone that's up that way.Thanks for those suggestions John,next time I'm up there I must try some of those other routes.

Great post.

Have been looking for a track and will give this a try soon :D:D

Advertisement