Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell Laptop confusion...

• 30-06-2008 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi all, I'm looking into buying a laptop and i'm not sure what to go with because i honestly don't know the difference!! I've been looking at the new Studio 15 and the Inspiron 1525, want to get a customised cover on it(i know its silly but hey)
    What i'm most confused about is the difference between Celeron/Pentium Dual Core/Core Duo Processors, most of what i've been looking at has 2GB Ram and 120GB+, what would i need for general home usage - ie internet, music, photos, watching dvds?
    I would intend to go with vista but is that a bad idea?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

There is some information at the top of the forum that should help you, specifically, "How to ask for help on this forum *** READ THIS FIRST *** :)

Read that, post up the relevant info and people will be able to help you better.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I have bought about 20 of the 1525 for people in the last 6 months, same situation as yourself.
    For them all I would avoid the Celeron, a bit of a cheapy processor.
    Definately get 2GB of RAM if running VISTA, 120 or 160 GB of harddrive space is sufficent.
    The do the color options on the 1525 also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

For your needs, you don't need a particularly fast computer. Browsing the net or watching DVDs arent particularly taxing things for a modern computer.

That said, I would avoid the low-end processors altogether. Vista with a slow processor can be very slow and unresponsive.

A Core2Duo with around 1.8GHz or 2GHz would be a nice option if you could afford it. 2GB ram is good for Vista, I wouldn't recommend running it with much less, and a basic user doesnt really need more.

Advertisement