Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot get DHCP Digiweb Wireless

Options
  • 30-06-2008 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Apologies if this is th wrong forum, but I am having an unusual problem which I cannot solve.

I am trying to configure a home network through Digiweb's Metro (Wireless) service but it doesn't work. If I connnect the WAN port of the Thomson modem directly into a PC, i can surf the web. If I connect the modem to the WAN port of a router, the router does not pick up any IP configurations (IP/DNS) from the modem. I've tried Linksys a WRT300N, WRT54G (in router and gateway mode) and a D-LINK Wireless access point, all with DHCP enabled on the WAN port so the IP can be obtained from the Thomson modem, but to no avail. (In each case, I've connected the Thomson via ETH to the WAN/INTERNET port of each router.)

The IP from Digiweb is not static so I cannot really try setting up static ip info on any of the devices (Linksys/D-Link). The bizarre thing is that this worked fine up to a week or 2 ago, but then suddenly stopped.

Digiweb claims that the problem is with the routers since, if you connect directly from the Thomson to the PC, it works, and therefore they have no further issue to pursue. They couldn't explain why it was working throught the router couple of weeks back and then suddenly stopped.

Does anybody have any insight on this behaviour?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes. I've seen this! There is a simple reason.

To fix it:

1) Set up the Router (using DHCP & Auto for DNS on the WAN ethernet. They ARE ethernet routers, not DSL?). Make sure PC is using Router IP for Gateway and DNS, or else you can see the Router web pages and nothing else.

If you have used PC, the modem won't re-assign an IP without power off/On:

2) power off router
    3) unplug modem and plug it in again after count of 10.

4) wait for extreme RHS LED to go steady

5) Power on Router.

It will now work.

If the Modem is working and you swap the Modem ethernet cable to a different device with a new MAC address, without powering off, you won't get a new DHCP assigned Addresss.

Summary:
    There are Four typical causes:
    1) DHCP needs to release MAC (repower modem)
    2) PC incorrect Gateway or DNS or both (should be IP of router)
    3) Misconfigured Router
    4) Router not ethernet but built in DSL modem (You used to have it working, so may not be that, though often a single PC and Modem connected via the 4 port switch on a DSL router can work, a 2nd device will fail)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 HarrierJoe

Hi Watty

Thanks for the quick response. In my testing I would have powered down both devices (Thomson and Linksys), then plug in the Thomson, wait for all lights to come back on, and then the Linksys.

On the PC (via ETH on Port 1), I'd release the ipconfig and renew. Does this mean I need to reboot the PC as well?

Both routers only have the 4 ports with the additional WAN/ETH port, so (since the absence of phone jacks) I'd assume its NOT a DSL router - if that's what you are referring to. :)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You should need to reboot the PC.

You seem to have avoided the DSL pitfall :)

So...

It's down to the LAN side of things.

open a console
    (Start Run <type in "cmd" without the " and ")

type
     ipconfig

returns something like
    Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : 
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.101
            Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
            Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Assuming your router is at 192.168.0.1 (other numbers are acceptible and possible, it just must match the address that works in your browser to configure it)
    the 101 might be different depending on how the router does its DHCP.

If in doubt switch the PC to STATIC IP on xxx.xxx.xxx.70
    (Next PC then is xxx.xxx.xxx.71 etc)
    where xxx.xxx.xxx.NNN matches the Router
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.NNN matches the Router
    DNS xxx.xxx.xxx.NNN matches the Router

then
    ping www.heanet.ie

If it doesn't work maybe a DNS issue so
    ping  193.1.219.79

If niether ping works its a gateway/router issue. If the 2nd works but 1st doesn't then it's DNS. Recheck the Router WAN settings. They should be "automatic", i.e. set by DHCP.

The LAN doesn't need DHCP at all. In fact Static allows port forwarding to work properly.

Advertisement