Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes

Options
  • 30-06-2008 3:35pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭

since moving from CBI to whaever it is now what changes have happened.

prayer promise law? all churchie so whats instead?

uniforms changed?

regional shields, mpc's and the like still there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

The main noticeable changes are the restuctures of the regions to include both former CSI and SAI groups, in the case of your old region (Martin de Porres) this meant the loss of Dalkey, and the addition of Stillorgan, Cornelscourt and a few other SAIs and it is now known as Dún Laoghaire County.

Things like prayer etc haven't changed much at all, most SAI groups were predominantly Catholic anyway, and each individual Group seem to have stuck with whatever they had before.

The shirt is now a darker navy blue, the cub and beaver jumpers have also changed colour, and the new trousers are combats that zip off at the knees.

Regional shields still exist (now called County Cups) in most counties, however the competition aspect of Scouting is being played down nationally. Rumour has it this may be the last year of the Phoenix (which is the new equivalent to the Melvin).
    MPCs, Sionnachs etc will still exist for the forseeable future and are unlikely to change in format to what they were years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Kidd-o

thats only a rumour, the phoenix will always be, it just may be a different format.

As of the last national council we have a programme due to be implemented as of March when new age ranges and names for new sections are decided!!!

the scout prayer is

Dearest Lord (rather than Jesus)

Teach me to be Generous,
    to love and serve as you deserve
    to give and not to count the cost
    To strife and not to heed the wounds
    To Toil and not to seek for rest
    To labour and to look for no reward
    Save that in knowing, i do in your holy will

Amem

as you notice the word fight has also been replaced with strife, as a brother or sister scout should not solve their matters with violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭renmorescout

Kidd-o wrote: »
    the scout prayer is

Dearest Lord (rather than Jesus)

Teach me to be Generous,
    to love and serve as you deserve
    to give and not to count the cost
    To strife and not to heed the wounds
    To Toil and not to seek for rest
    To labour and to look for no reward
    Save that in knowing, i do in your holy will

Amem

as you notice the word fight has also been replaced with strife, as a brother or sister scout should not solve their matters with violence.

Hiya Kidd-o
    When did this change take place? I know about the Jesus / Lord one, but
    the Fight / Strife one is news to me. I have no problem with it though.

not positive, NC 2 years ago I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I stopped leading scouts about 7 years ago now. Do scouts still wear berets and lanyards?

Is there still footdrill?

Changing the prayer makes sense although 'fight' doesn't always have to mean violence, 'fight' simply indicates struggle imo and scouts should always struggle to better themselves and the world around them but I understand why it was changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Hey r3nu4l! Long time :P
    r3nu4l wrote: »
    I stopped leading scouts about 7 years ago now. Do scouts still wear berets and lanyards?
    There is a lanyard thing, goes around the neck now, no beret though \o/ Looking at the new uniform compared to my old one (CSI) my old one kicks it's ass, it's not a good looking uniform anymore...:(
    Is there still footdrill?
    We still do drill, although i know not every troop does..
    Changing the prayer makes sense although 'fight' doesn't always have to mean violence, 'fight' simply indicates struggle imo and scouts should always struggle to better themselves and the world around them but I understand why it was changed.
    TBH I hadn't heard that it changed at all... Huh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

dulpit wrote: »
    Hey r3nu4l! Long time :P
    Indeed :) It seems that scouting is a good recruitment for BAPS, isn't that right AS? ;)
    There is a lanyard thing, goes around the neck now, no beret though \o/ Looking at the new uniform compared to my old one (CSI) my old one kicks it's ass, it's not a good looking uniform anymore...:(
    Ugh, sounds awful :( I know many people felt the old uniform was a bit too 'military' but tbh, for me it was more about streamlined discipline that allowed for 'organised' fun.
    We still do drill, although i know not every troop does..
    While I think drill is important, we always made sure to make it a game, last one to do the about turn had to do a push up/sing a song...etc. Drill was fine so long as it didn't go on for more than 5-10 minutes.

I do drill, with the groups im involved with, and my county all do.

i like the new uni. i was also cbsi, the new uniform grows lol

Advertisement