Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you miss

Options
  • 30-06-2008 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

After reading another thread about TD's pub I'm just wondering with all the changes going on in Sligo town over the last few years are there any businesses, pub's, restaurants etc. that you miss and why.

I have fond memories of the Cellars bar on O'Connell Street where Elverys was also Grandma's take away on the Mall. The nearest thing to a public toilet used to be upstairs above Wallis on O'Connell Street, can any one remember the name of the restaurant?

Any way has any one any favourites :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Sulukie wrote: »
    The nearest thing to a public toilet used to be upstairs above Wallis on O'Connell Street, can any one remember the name of the restaurant?

Any way has any one any favourites :)

What is it with Public Toilets???:confused:
    Anyway it was the Tea House at one stage.

I miss the bowling alley!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

I miss the Irish pound (Punt). A Snickers bar for 28p and crisps for 20p (I think). Bought a packet of crisps recently, Hunky Dory's (85 cent I believe) and I think some chocolate bars cost almost a Euro. Defo I remember being in the Bowling Alley, great fun and a major loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Grandma's had lovely chips. They were really hot and lovely with lots of salt on them. I miss the Weir. Loads of live music, served well past closing and a nice crowd. Even though I suspect if it was still there, I've probably outgrown it and wouldn't go anyway. Maybe I just miss being 19-20 years old?:)
    The Garavogue was great in it's hey day as well. It's a pity the old Blackrock shop on O'Connell |Street is gone too. It and Johnson's were the last of the old drapery shops in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Is this Grandma's place Molly's by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

il gatto wrote: »
    Grandma's had lovely chips. They were really hot and lovely with lots of salt on them. I miss the Weir. Loads of live music, served well past closing and a nice crowd. Even though I suspect if it was still there, I've probably outgrown it and wouldn't go anyway. Maybe I just miss being 19-20 years old?:)
    The Garavogue was great in it's hey day as well. It's a pity the old Blackrock shop on O'Connell |Street is gone too. It and Johnson's were the last of the old drapery shops in town.

Blackrock are on Harmony Hill now, still a proper old style drapery store too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Is this Grandma's place Molly's by any chance?

No. It was on the Mall on the corner into the back of the Westward Town Center (beside Feehily's). It's long gone.

I know Blackrock is there, but it's just not the same without the high shelves, the smell, the brown paper and twine packages and the whole atmoshere.
    I miss being able to drive around town too. Without sitting in traffic for hours.

I know Blackrock is there, but it's just not the same without the high shelves, the smell, the brown paper and twine packages and the whole atmoshere.

I see, sounds nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

DenMan wrote: »
    I Bought a packet of crisps recently, Hunky Dory's (85 cent I believe)

Same here - bought the nephew a can of Fanta & a bag of crisps & cost 2 fecking euro!?!?

I also miss the Garavogue.. before they ripped the bar out of the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I remember going there to get my school uniform when I was a little girl. Certainly had an atmosphere to it! :D

I miss The Tea House. I used to go there every Thursday for lunch with my mam. Always had the same waitress and she was a lovely lady. And myself and my best mate used to go there when we were dossing school and sit for hours planning college! :rolleyes: Was fun times though! :D

I miss the Garavogue too. It had an open mic night every Monday night that I loved going to. The Clarence before it closed and was renovated. I used to go there every Thursday night.

And I remember when i was little we'd get 50p pocket money a week. And we used to be able to buy loads with it! I'd like to see a child handed 50c now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I miss the Bowling alley

And the Ritz cafe i think it was called on O'Connell street , I used to get knickerbocker glory icecream sundae when I was in there as a child!

Also miss Garavogue/Left Bank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

miss one pound u-12 admission price to the showgrounds!
    bowling alley was great, remember skipping a few afternoon classes in summerhill to go there, naughty boy!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

gustavo wrote: »
    And the Ritz cafe i think it was called on O'Connell street , I used to get knickerbocker glory icecream sundae when I was in there as a child!
    was just about to mention this place, it was great, a classy joint :) used to get lovely pastries and cakes in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Would love to be able to travel back in time and go into Gulivers travels.

Always loved going there as a young buck and you would get crayons and colouring sheets while you waited for the grub

Being able to drive down O'Connell street, fecking traffic is a balls..

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

The Tea House for me too! ....and a no. 6 toasted sandwich:D

What were the first 5 like?, just asking. Toast and cheese/ham melt? Different types of bread etc. Sounds funny, "I'll have the number 6 please, first five must have be taken".....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

takola wrote: »
    I miss the Garavogue too. It had an open mic night every Monday night that I loved going to. The Clarence before it closed and was renovated. I used to go there every Thursday night.

That Open mic had some great nights, one of the Christmas ones in particular was feckin amazing, Wayne and a few of the guys blasted out some Pearl Jam, Cathal had the drumkit in that night as well so there was pratically a full impromptu band on stage. And some talented lady did an amazing accoustic cover of Tatoo'd Lady.

And the old Clarence, running over to get in before 11pm so you didn't have to pay to run around the tiny dance floor and get stuck to the carpet.

The music upstairs in McGarrigles great live bands like Phobia and Smile.

When McDonalds on O'Connell st used to be a big 4 lights and McHughs was Gullivers restraunt.

I was just saying to my friends a few days ago: Remember Equinox back in the day when they had the supper room, mmm sausages and chips :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

slideways wrote: »
    Would love to be able to travel back in time and go into Gulivers travels.

Always loved going there as a young buck and you would get crayons and colouring sheets while you waited for the grub

+1 :)

gustavo wrote: »
    Kinckerbocker glory LOL I used to love them, and the ginger bread men!

Iompair wrote: »

The music upstairs in McGarrigles great live bands like Phobia and Smile.

They still have live gigs upstairs in McGarrigles... not as frequently as before, but there's still gigs. Great little place to play too - we did a show there with Delorentos (who fecked off with all the door money, despite most of the people there having paid to see us).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I miss the Bowling Alley too.
    Miss the fact that there are no toy shops in the town now (except Tesco). You have to travel to the other ones.
    I miss The Ritz too and there was a nice cafe where Poppadoms is now.
    I also miss Burger King, although I'm glad we have an Easons.
    There used to be a great second hand music shop up Market Cross, also I miss Exchange and Mart in Union Street, some great bargains to be had there.
    Jolly Rogers, that used to be great for the kids....when it was open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

+1 :)

+2, loved their knickerboker glories.. ummm..

Casual Corner, used to stick in 10p and play shinobi, Double Dragon, Street Fighter etc for ages. Plus the car game.

The old Cinema

The Sligo Pool league, champions two years running.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I miss all the mornings I couldn't remember how I got home the night before.

They were the days before mobile phones, so it could be 5 or 6 days before you found out how you did get home.:D

Culchie wrote: »
    I miss all the mornings I couldn't remember how I got home the night before.

They were the days before mobile phones, so it could be 5 or 6 days before you found out how you did get home.:D

LOL!!!

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    +2, loved their knickerboker glories.. ummm..

I got my Knickerbokerglories in LIIIIMRIIIICCCK. They were tougher than yours.

Unfortunately I can't miss anything about Sligo as I'm not here long enough. I do miss Woods though. And my job. And wages.

magnumlady wrote: »
    Miss the fact that there are no toy shops in the town now (except Tesco). You have to travel to the other ones..

Ya I wish they would bring back Woods...

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

DenMan wrote: »
    What were the first 5 like?, just asking. Toast and cheese/ham melt? Different types of bread etc. Sounds funny, "I'll have the number 6 please, first five must have be taken".....:D

those were the days before paninis, wraps etc...you didn't even get a choice of white bread or brown:D:D

A number six was a white toasted sandwich with ham, cheese, chicken and mandarin:)...............it was all down to the mandarin:D:D:D

Cool. I meant to say "I'll have the number 6 please, first five must have been taken". That's it, got it right now....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Does anyone remember the cafe and Bar in what is now Tesco fruit and veg section? The entrance was in the same place as the entrance is now. Was really dark place. Very vague memories but can remember being strung out from stealing slurps of parent's coffee (in the days when coffee was a luxury):)

• Advertisement

In these times of economic downturn, coffee is, alas, once again a luxury. I shall soon be re-using tea bags. As for coffee - it will soon be served as they once did in Spain & priced according to which filter of the coffee you got .. 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. :(

Advertisement