Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you miss

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Things can't be that bad guys, can they? The outlook for the next 3-4 years in the West will not be good from what I have been reading, but I don't think there will be rationing......yet.....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

DenMan wrote: »
    Things can't be that bad guys, can they? The outlook for the next 3-4 years in the West will not be good from what I have been reading, but I don't think there will be rationing......yet.....:eek:

Please will you tell my mother that!!!
    She's stock piling everything.
    So far she's sorted as regards dog food, rice pudding and soup.
    Got about 40 tins of each!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

lubie76 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the cafe and Bar in what is now Tesco fruit and veg section? The entrance was in the same place as the entrance is now. Was really dark place. Very vague memories but can remember being strung out from stealing slurps of parent's coffee (in the days when coffee was a luxury):)

The Ballymote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

The Ballymote.

Catchy name! Did they serve mandarin sandwiches aswell?! Mandarin sandwiches WTF... :confused:

Does anybody remember the episode of Fair City at the end of 1999. The story was Charlie was preparing for the new millennium and he was worried, so he started stockpiling up on everything, perishables, tinned foods etc, anything and everything. Very good it was. He was really panicking. Surely that can't happen now!!!

• Advertisement

DenMan wrote: »
    Does anybody remember the episode of Fair City at the end of 1999. The story was Charlie was preparing for the new millennium and he was worried, so he started stockpiling up on everything, perishables, tinned foods etc, anything and everything. Very good it was. He was really panicking. Surely that can't happen now!!!

Lost me there Denman :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Casual Corner, used to stick in 10p and play shinobi, Double Dragon, Street Fighter etc for ages. Plus the car game.

The car game was Supersprint, then they replaced it with Badlands. They were great games and used to get ultra competitive almost resulting in fights on a few occasions!

Where was Casual Corner?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

sueme wrote: »
    Where was Casual Corner?

Next to the cinema... was small place, prob closed early-mid nineties.

Remember the ballymoat alright, don't remember too much about it, but remember been in there with my granny after shopping.. ahh the memories.

• Advertisement

The real Monster Munch crisps, really spicy. Not the extra corny, no taste at all Mighty Munch by Walkers. They have renamed them back to their original name Monster Munch but sadly the taste is still the same!!!:( ...remember the Cyclops at the back of the packet....Awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

sueme wrote: »
    Catchy name! Did they serve mandarin sandwiches aswell?! Mandarin sandwiches WTF... :confused:

I just remember it being a very dark place....soup and a sandwich type of place I think

not a mandarin in the place!!!

On a side note - does the Mandarin Court still exist?????? on Wine St. - first chinese restaurant I was ever at!!!

go-on then - tell me it isn't chinese or something!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

There was a really lively nightclub in the late seventies where the Sligo Supply Centre have just left (Blackwoods Yard.) I bet nobody remembers it. Everytime I hear 'Rat Trap' by the Boomtown Rats or 'Rasputin' by BoneyM, It reminds me of some great nights there.

The Coffee Bean on The Mall was way ahead of it's time serving very exotic stuff for it's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Mighty Munch are pretty close to the original Monster Munch, if a little hotter and less spicey, if that makes sense. Rough texture like the old ones too. I think what happened was as follows. Smiths Crisps left the Irish market and licenced Monster Munch to Tayto. For twenty odd years they continued to make the proper Monster Munch. In the meantime, Smiths were bought by Walkers (owned by Lays). Walkers (the fuppers) changed Monster Munch to the finer, tasteless, smaller Monster Munch. When Walkers entered the Irish market, the licence for Monster Munch reverted to them and the travesty against corn snacks we see today is the result. Part of the clause seems to have been that Tayto could continue to produce a very similar crisp which they named Mighty Munch, which although very similar to the old Monster Munch, is just not quite the same. Alot closer than the Walkers ones though. When I was sick as a kid, I used to crave Monster \Munch and Wine Gums. Odd.
    I miss the old cinema too. New one is a great facility, but some of the magic is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

The Bowling Alley...that's where I had all my childhood birthdays.
    The old cinema
    The 4 lights when it was up where McDonalds is now
    When Tesco was Quinnsworth!
    That fun fair that came here and had the big wheel down at the Quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

conways pub on high street is what i miss most.
    and the mandarin court is still the best chinese in town..although a bit expensive for takeaways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

The Trades Club

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

^ The T&C...

Thanks for the info il gatto, I did wikipedia it yesterday. Does anyone remember the night shot of Gotham City from the first Batman movie (1989) in the old cinema, a huge painting on the wall. I remember it as a child, amazing isn't it. I wonder who has that image now, Warner Bros?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

^ The T&C...

The T&C is still there though isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

takola wrote: »

The building is, but the T&C has ceased trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Silver33

Hi there
    Lots of places I miss:-
    The Ballymote pub/restaurant (used to be in Arcade of Tesco/Quinnsworth) now its the fruit and veg section! I was a child but remember it clearly.
    Alfie Bree's on John Street - smell of cat urine but the sweet selection was great!
    The Ritz on O'Connell street, The Wimpy, Grandma's, Step Inside Cafe - Market Cross, The Coffee Bean (The Mall), Gullivers (McHughs there now)
    The Garavogue
    I actually miss the old clarence in the 90's! (an age think I guess:o)
    Woolworths on O'Connell street. Records for 99p
    Hayleys fast food on O'connell street.
    oh the memories!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sulukie

God I'd forgotton Hayleys!
    I miss the Ritz too, something slightly old fashioned about it but the best knickerbocker glories Yum!

Yarr it be closed for an age tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sulukie

I never thought when I started this thread but it really shows our ages - doesn't it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Gullivers, that was a great place, I'd forgotten about that.

Alphie Brees how did I forget thee, the lucky bags were the best and all the other little toys you could get in there, they always had caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Yarr it be closed for an age tho!

What? When did this happen? One of my mates used to run the place.

Show's you how much I've been paying attention doesn't it? :(

Basically I think it got raided too many times - the commitee seemed to blame the guy who was running it and I think there was a lot of other stuff surrounding it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Miss King's Chinese in Wine Street Car Park..

.. they've the best Chop Suey in town (by far).

Advertisement