Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you miss

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

That's a good question as I have no idea what is was either. Anybody got a take on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    what was the bomb?
    DenMan wrote: »
    That's a good question as I have no idea what is was either. Anybody got a take on it?

was unsure if this my self, but asked a few questions, apartently it was an unexploded WWII bomb, think it was found when the road was being dug up

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

That's amazing. When I lived in Malta I went to Mosta and saw the mine that entered the church and did not explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Afaik, it was a round ball yoke for chucking coins into for charity, you see them in Airports etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

irish-stew wrote: »
    was unsure if this my self, but asked a few questions, apartently it was an unexploded WWII bomb, think it was found when the road was being dug up

I think someone's pulling your leg Stewie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

It was like a sputnik type thing. At the end of O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

It was a sort of marine mine or bouy. It had short legs and a slot for change. It was there until 5-6 years ago. They should sand blast it, re-paint it and put it back when the street is re-paved.

There was a pic of it in the weekender a few months back, can't find it on the net though.

sueme wrote: »
    I think someone's pulling your leg Stewie!

or maybe i could be pulling yours

:p

dont think sligo were much of a threat to the germans in WWII

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

"moby dicks" really brought back the memories,

next door to the fca hall!

how about some of the hotels that have
    passed into memory;
    grand hotel(envy)
    imperial hotel(toffs)
    kellys hotel(sligo weekender):(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Afaik, it was a round ball yoke for chucking coins into for charity, you see them in Airports etc.

It was either a mine or a bouy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sulukie

Gillie wrote: »
    It was either a mine or a bouy.

I agree with Gillie, would be nice to see it back now O'Connell street is pedestrianised.

Where is it now though?
    Maybe someone nicked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

think i will email the sligo weekender and ask the question

"where is the bomb"

i do think it would be lovely to have on oconnell street, never seen anyone putting any coins in it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

DenMan wrote: »
    Happy birthday Xiney. :)

LOL

Good thing you've never met me. If you'd met me and called me 31 I'd have to kick your ass.

Xiney wrote: »
    LOL

Good thing you've never met me. If you'd met me and called me 31 I'd have to kick your ass.

We'll have to see pics Xiney coz you know DenMan's word is gold...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Well people used to chuck coins into it but I don't think it was for charity or anything...

Well people used to chuck coins into it but I don't think it was for charity or anything...

It was for the "Public Toilet" and "Pedertrianise Now" funds!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Well I suppose they could only afford enough to pedestrianise O'Connel St and not the toilet...

Well I suppose they could only afford enough to pedestrianise O'Connel St and not the toilet...

pedestrianising a toilet

only messing 'hail to da chimp', i know what you meant

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

The Casual Corner in Sligo... ahh now that brings back great memories! Golden Axe, SFII, Shadow Dancer, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs and Fatal Fury II gobbled any 10p coins I could get my hands on back in those days :)

Anyone remember Dragon Ninja and Pang?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

The Pixi: a toy shop on Market St.; used to be mesmerised by all the toys filling this tiny space whenever I went in there as a child.

The Savoy cinema: my first trip to the cinema, The Empire Strikes Back, in 1980 (God, I'm getting old).

Best's where Dunnes Stores in Adelaide St. is now (there was a cafe in it too where my Mum alwayshad a white coffee on a Saturday and I can still remember the sound of the coffee machines as they let out steam).

The rag and bone man calling at our estate for any old bits of scrap that people wanted rid of, and he even had a horse and cart!!

I loved growing up in Sligo so much that I always knew I'd move back here. And even though it's changed almost beyond recognition I still wander around town thinking "that's where such and such was" and the memories are so sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I know it's only temporarily closed but I seriously miss the Strand. I live in Dublin during the college year so was looking forward to a Summer of days and nights spent in the Strand.

Stupid fire :(

Curious as to what it'll be like when it re-opens - they seem to be doing a lot of work on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Being brought to Gulivers Travels as a treat for dinner when I was a kid

That place was cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

The Carlton. I liked the food, and it was the last of its kind in diner-style in the town.

Also, I miss wood's. They had everything in there, and it was the kind of shop that really did have everything you needed. like if you were stuck for a particular obscure fixing or something you could be sure that they had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

The Ritz cafe on O'Connell Street - best cafe ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Dagon wrote: »
    The Casual Corner in Sligo... ahh now that brings back great memories! Golden Axe, SFII, Shadow Dancer, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs and Fatal Fury II gobbled any 10p coins I could get my hands on back in those days :)

Anyone remember Dragon Ninja and Pang?

Totally forgot about that place, used to play Supersprint in there which was a 3 player driving game. Then they replaced that with Badlands which was a 2 player drving game but still great.

I think I remember Pang, is that the game where you started with a large ball and they kept getting smaller?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 greengoddess

Truffles on the Mall... loved the pizzas there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Totally forgot about that place, used to play Supersprint in there which was a 3 player driving game. Then they replaced that with Badlands which was a 2 player drving game but still great.

I think I remember Pang, is that the game where you started with a large ball and they kept getting smaller?

Yup, that would indeed be Pang! Great game, very addictive! Playing it in the Casual Corner was always better than the monochrome Spectrum version we had at home :)

Yes, I remember Supersprint and Badlands as well. Those machines were always on the go! Anyone remember when they got Mortal Kombat? There was a big buzz around it at the time and people were queueing up to play!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ScallowayLass

Hennigans Bar as it used to be many moons ago!
    The whole of lower John Street! Whytes, Crummy's, Alfies, Sally Hartes (and Molly's I had forgotten about that!) Little bakery on the corner of O'connell street!

Always used to go to The Cottage when the Clarkes had it at lunchtimes from school. The Sligo Arts festival when it was good, fireworks on the river and huge night time procession

I find it strange whwn I go back to Sligo now, so much has changed and very little of the original old town centre business and shops left. A couple of pubs are as reliable as ever :)

Advertisement