Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you miss

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The original old Beezies pub on O'Connell street, before it moved to Tobergal Lane. Man the memories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

The Cottage used to do a lovely fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

Fitzgeralds "shopwell" across from Hargadons.

Used to have the dizzying amount of £5 to spend on Christmas pressies as a kid, so every Dec. 8th, my friend's Mum would bring us all shopping there for an hour for people's pressies....everything from snow globes to fluorescent gadgety type things were bought! One of my brothers had a motorbike, so every year, he got a plastic biker with moving wheels. Ohh what a thoughtful child I was!

You'd be amazed how far £5 would go there circa 1990.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ScallowayLass

Ah Yeah!! Fitzgearlds!!!! Thats a blast from the past!!! And there was also the pound shop that was down the little alleyway by Tohers, there was also a pub down there!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

itac wrote: »
    Fitzgeralds "shopwell" across from Hargadons.

Used to have the dizzying amount of £5 to spend on Christmas pressies as a kid, so every Dec. 8th, my friend's Mum would bring us all shopping there for an hour for people's pressies....everything from snow globes to fluorescent gadgety type things were bought! One of my brothers had a motorbike, so every year, he got a plastic biker with moving wheels. Ohh what a thoughtful child I was!

You'd be amazed how far £5 would go there circa 1990.....:D

Oh yes, I miss this! I remember when trolls and soothers were in fashion, they had tables of them in loads of different sizes and colours, great!

Also when I started college, it was the cheapest place to get stationary, great for students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

The old craft and handmade gift types shops, there used to be a few. One in Lyons', The Winding Stair and the one on Market Street that closed earlier this year. Would sell things like dream catchers, candles, soaps etc I used to buy all my presents there and hang around them when I was a teenager.

The old Clarence Dance club during the nineties and the different theme nights. It was years ahead of the rest of the country's dance scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Also there was a chipper in Cartron Village. Cant remember what it was called but the food was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭fionntan g

Miss underage drinking in harrys bar and Gurn's city bar,some craic!

Also miss the new clarence the way it was when it just re-opened,brilliant house music with a nicer/older crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Ah Yeah!! Fitzgearlds!!!! Thats a blast from the past!!! And there was also the pound shop that was down the little alleyway by Tohers, there was also a pub down there!!!

Fitzgeralds, I think I remember it, was it later turned into a Christmas shop for a while and is now the photo place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Fitzgeralds, I think I remember it, was it later turned into a Christmas shop for a while and is now the photo place?

That's the very place.....

I remember looking in the window & it had loads of metal badges & spike belts...lol...long time ago now....

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

BronsonTB wrote: »

I remember looking in the window & it had loads of metal badges & spike belts...lol...long time ago now....

Christ I remember that place, only real rockers had a studded belt.

BronsonTB wrote: »

I don't remember the studded belts! But I loved spending my pocket money in there on stationary and especially 'fancy paper'. It was a great place, but sure now all the kids want are ipods :P

I remember Woolworth's on O'Connell street, it was somewhere between Boots and Poppadoms and on the same side of the road. It was like an Alladins cave, I seen my first Action Man in there, boxes of soldiers and all that good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

There was a Woolworths in Sligo?! How long ago was that?

Woolworths was a long time ago!!!

Remember when Tesco was Quinnsworth Five Star!!!!! I'm not sure if I do actually remember it, but I know my nan always called Quinnsworth "Five Star" and there was plastic bags in her house with Five Star on them, so there is something stored in my memory in regards to it!!

Woolworths was a long time ago!!!
    Hotaru wrote: »
    There was a Woolworths in Sligo?! How long ago was that?

Thanks for that, I suddenly feel really old (but I'm not really).

*Shuffles off decades early to collect old age pension *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Sorry :P But I'm 20 and had never heard of it >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Well I am nearly 30 and there is some vague notion of it but I may be wrong.

Did there used to be a Wimpeys restaurant where Barton Smiths is now?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

Woolworths was in the building where Poppadoms and Wallace (that is the name of the clothes shop, isn't it?) are now. When Woolworths closed the building was converted into the tea house - great for hanging out on a Saturday or after school in the early 90s :) The wimpy was a bit further down than Barton Smiths, it was where the locks shop is now.

• Advertisement

Wester wrote: »
    Woolworths was in the building where Poppadoms and Wallace (that is the name of the clothes shop, isn't it?) are now. When Woolworths closed the building was converted into the tea house - great for hanging out on a Saturday or after school in the early 90s :) The wimpy was a bit further down than Barton Smiths, it was where the locks shop is now.

Do you mean Wallis?

I remember there being a cafe there when I was v young (I'm 21).

Do you mean Wallis?

I remember there being a cafe there when I was v young (I'm 21).

Yeah, I meant Wallis :D I'm not exactly the best when it comes to rembering the names of certain kinds of shops!!! I'd say thats the tea rooms you remember all right, I'm 35 so I can recall them vividly. But it might also have been Caliendos you're thinking of, who had a cafe next door to Wallis, where they have the book shop now. I can't remember the year they closed the cafe though so maybe someone can help out on that. They had the most divine ice cream sundaes and those sorts of treats for kids who'd been well behaved during the week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

The cafe was the Ritz AFAIR and closed at a guess in 97-98

thanks for that gustavo, the Ritz it was. 97-98 sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

gustavo wrote: »
    The cafe was the Ritz AFAIR and closed at a guess in 97-98

Ah the Ritz, I remember it well. I think it was the best cafe Sligo ever had!
    I don't remember the studded belts! But I loved spending my pocket money in there on stationary and especially 'fancy paper'.

When we were kids we used to spray them with purfume and called them 'fancies' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I miss my job :(

Slidey wrote: »
    Well I am nearly 30 and there is some vague notion of it but I may be wrong.

Did there used to be a Wimpeys restaurant where Barton Smiths is now?

Yes, old school style dinner. I was very young at the time O.K.! As Wester rightly said it was where the locksmith now is

Mmmm. Wimpy used to do the best Ice Cream Soda's, remember being brought there on Some Fridays ( paydays ) for lunch!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Anyone else remember they brought back Wimpy temporarily into the Mace on Mail Coach Road a few years back.. not nearly the same, but they had tasty square burgers I will admit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

not trying to give away my age but the first job i ever had was as a dishwasher in the wimpy bar... i was twelve:eek:
    two pound a shift and all the free grub you could eat (usually more than 2 quids worth:P).

Advertisement