Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you miss

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Oh I just about remember the Wimpy! Dad brought me and my sister in there for dinner when mum was in hospital having my brother...he was mortified when we announced it to the whole ward (that and the fact that he allowed us to have fish fingers for breakfast!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Popperdoodles

OMG just came across this thread by accident.

I soo remember Alfie Brees..He always was a tad weird !! but awesome sweet selection... and yes totaly smelled of cats pee

Woolworths ohh yep remember that , and the five star supermarket

It opened in the mis 70s, 75 or 76 i think sligo's first shopping centre LOL it was a big event at the time ...really !!!

There was a pub on the corner beside it I think it was the Balymote...Always a good place for us under age drinkers, is it still there

Does anyone remember Best's Supermarket , it's where Dunnes is now

And Lyons cafe , it used to be upstairs we were always getting thrown out for not buying anything, or getting 1 coke between 6 of us.

But it seemd like every teen was in there on a Saturday afternoon

Not lived In Sligo since the late 70s but have very happy memories of my teen school years there.

Would love to hear from people who were around then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Tandy and Casual Corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

I soo remember Alfie Brees..He always was a tad weird !! but awesome sweet selection... and yes totaly smelled of cats pee

It opened in the mis 70s, 75 or 76 i think sligo's first shopping centre LOL it was a big event at the time ...really !!!

There was a pub on the corner beside it I think it was the Balymote...Always a good place for us under age drinkers, is it still there

And Lyons cafe , it used to be upstairs we were always getting thrown out for not buying anything, or getting 1 coke between 6 of us.

Not lived In Sligo since the late 70s but have very happy memories of my teen school years there.

The Ballymote was in the now Tesco arcade at the entrance to fruit and veg afaik. Yes the "Cas" was very cool and remember Alfies mainly for Fart gas and other hilarious novelty jokes like fake puke fake dog **** and stink bombs or at least they seemed funny at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

How do you come across a two year old zombie thread by accident?

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

It's a great thread though, I'd love to see it resurrected. So much has changed even in the last two years :o

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Bills - ie the Corner Shop on John Street.

Bill, Marite and Mrs Bill, along with a crew of assorted staff.

The banter, the customer service, was certainly of another era!

What a corner shop -- all the lads from Jinks Ave and Maugheraboy, down the back at the video games, 10ps lined up and constant request for 'the last of your lives'...

Running down late at night for milk for Mum or fags for the auld Fella - the nearest thing Sligo had to a 24 hour shop in the 1980s.

Classic from Bill - some Neuk young fella with mouth full of sweets, ordering something, gesticulating to it and Bill, deadpan and dripping with derision, 'I'm good but I'm not a f**king mind-reader'. Ha, ha - what a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The Jam Pot on High Street. A bit like Casual Corner but it had a couple of pool tables as well as arcade video games.

And the bowling alley down near the quay.

I was Just digging up my past a little and came accross the thread

So I though I would try a post and see what happened

OMG the cornor shop is that stil there.

Was THE only place opened on a Sunday..apart from the pubs of course

Used to be Hollands bar across the road if memory serves

Used to go to the Silver Swan we were around 15 or 16 at the time.

You could get them to serve you sometimes in the downstairs bar depending on the barmans mood

Happy days !!, Planning a trip back in 2013 will be interesting to see how much it's all changed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

will be interesting to see how much it's all changed

You're in for a big shock!

I also really miss the Arts festivals from the 90s. I know everything seems so big and exciting when you're small, but I do remember the parades and displays being amazing. My school was always heavily involved in it, and we used to make costumes and take part in the parades. And once a massive outdoor play throughout the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

I was gonna mention the Arts Festivals in the mid 90's. There was a poster for one in Conways Pub on the High Street which I always admired (grey poster with a bull on it) . I wonder is it still in the empty pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Beezies on O'Connell Street (Easons now or where the Bistro was, not sure). Used to be great fun there for Christmas Drinks as was Sidneys (the MCR) on Mail Coach Road.

I can go further back than Woolworth and remember going into the Wood and Iron across the road where Penneys is now. Place was massive and was packed floor to roof with everything and anything. I used to love Nelsons at Market Cross for some reason (my fascination for washers back then was weird). And Blackrocks vaccum tube system for handling money, good times.

Truley wrote: »
    You're in for a big shock!

I also really miss the Arts festivals from the 90s. I know everything seems so big and exciting when you're small, but I do remember the parades and displays being amazing. My school was always heavily involved in it, and we used to make costumes and take part in the parades. And once a massive outdoor play throughout the town.
    Ohh I guess I will be in for a shock, but I bet there are still a few things that stir old memories, so looking forward to it

LOL wood and iron yes I remember that shop , all the floors were bare floorboards

I think they used to get a large to section leading up to Christmas.

I think I can go one older though LOL

Lipton’s supermarket on O'Connell Street it was on the right hand side as you head towards the Post office.

It was somewhere around where Woolworths was, or may even have been the store before woollies

I think it was around 1972/73 , but I was only little then so I may be wrong

Ohh what was the name of the record shop on the corner of O’Connell street . opposite the Caffolla
    Was always in there either buying or shoplifting LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭daveboy01

Does anyone remember The Italian Warehouse at the top of O'Connell Street? Simone's is there now (long ago it was part of Henry Lyons) It was another restaurant that was ahead of its time - great pizza and AMAZING ice cream :D

I also miss the days when The Mall was a busy street with Joe Hannigan's shop and Higgins just below it... The Mall is a ghost street since they made it one way

Think I remember it when it was part of Lyons.

That was the one above the record shop

Don’t think I ever went in there though as I probably thought it was a bit posh then LOL

Would have been more down market then , maybe the four lanterns chippy !! Or the Carlton cafe !! now that was a bit of a dive in those days

Wasn’t the wimpy bar next to the bridge, I think it was by Coleman’s TV rental shop ??

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Just going down memory lane. Here's a stream of consciousness of yesteryear.

Sally Harte's on John Street.

The front of the shop is still in good nick - well painted and a real throwback.

Sally was a busy lady, handing out veg etc with amazing precision - I was amazed as a kid going in there with old benches and chests with assorted veg, and only to be wrapped up with newspaper etc.

No till there, and as I remember the shelves were scantily clad with a few cans of peas and tinned goods, desert peaches etc, as a backdrop and give it an air of fulsome stock! Never will see the like of it again - last of the Mohicans even then. I think dear old Sally passed away last year.

There was another fruit and veg shop on O'Connell St - my mother hated it and would never go it - but I used to trundle in just out of curiosity. Another quaint old emporium. I think Smullens might have been involved.

Nearly forgot about Clancys on Bridge Street and old John Conlon's brother's place on High Street - crazy 1950s throwbacks to the retail business in Ireland. I remember walking into Clancy's - it actually took guts to go in -- and auld fella comes out from behind a door, with his dinner on the table! Mental. I just turned on my heels and walked out! think country people used to go in there -- coz, jesus, Penny's was open then!

Conlon's place on High Street, reeked of a 1950s suit pawnbrokers.

Old John Conlon's barber shop - he designed a swivel chair and had it made, swinging punters around coz his hips were shot. He had a little dog, Brandy. When we were in the boxing club, the sound of Brandy traipsing ahead, with John and his zimmerframe, coming through the alley into the Market Yard, passed the 'Itinerants' as it was called, was like something out of Dickens.

John would charge anything from £2.40 for a proper hair cut to 15p to get your ears and nose trimmed! Turkish barbers how are ya.

I vaguely recall a pawn brokers on Quay Street - can anyone throw any light if there was one.

I remember with utter fascination, an old rag and bone, man and horse, that used to come around the streets in the late 1970s - was it the McNiffes? It was like Steptoe and Son rig out and the owners were actually quite terrifying to me as a nipper.

Then there was Eddie Wallace's coal truck - meeting Eddie was like meeting Santa - sweets and friendly old gent - today it would be probably frowned upon by a few weirdos, but what a lovely man.

They are just some of my late 1970s/80s childhood memories.

Moving into the 1990s - was the Rugby, those nights were less innocent - more like Boogie Nights! Great memories of DJ Dick and James Connolly's subversive muso-scene, and ladies in tight leotard tops and baggy jeans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

There is/or was, a video floating around you tube with still photos of some of the pubs mentioned here, but for the life of me I cant find it...Punch Bowl and others...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

daveboy01 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember The Italian Warehouse at the top of O'Connell Street? Simone's is there now (long ago it was part of Henry Lyons) It was another restaurant that was ahead of its time - great pizza and AMAZING ice cream :D

I also miss the days when The Mall was a busy street with Joe Hannigan's shop and Higgins just below it... The Mall is a ghost street since they made it one way

Ah the Mall, I lived in number 4 and number 6 back in my early college days, great, great memories of the place apart from being burgled one long weekend when the place was empty.

Drinking in the Leitrim Bar or O'Neill's and popping home for a slash if there was a queue for the jacks was dead handy. I even pulled a few birds by offering the use of my facilities across the road....classy I know.

One night I was woken up to the sound of someone puking outside my house and then sitting on my windowsill. When I went out to tell them to **** off I realised it was one of the lads from Westlife, I think it was Brian. I filled up a basin of water, went upstairs and ****ed it out the window on top of him. Queue ranting and raving and banging on the door hahaha.

Ahh fab post shelyriver , it's brought back even more memories from my teen years .

• Advertisement
Advertisement