Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New VRT system shambles...

Options
  • 30-06-2008 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

OK, so 70% of people are now going to buy diesels, meaning big savings for consumers, for now. With the Government coffers bare, and a huge whole appearing in VRT revenue you can see that taxes, stealth and otherwise looming large in the next budget. So enjoy the feeling for now, because it's going to be short lived. Oh, yes, and expect to see every Tom Dick and Harry in a manual 520D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Thats why diesal is more expensive then petrol because everyone will be going for a diesal now...Garages have it all figured out ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

This is all a result of people voting for FF and the Greens....its some mess

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

these clowns f*cked eveything else in the country up what made you think they'd get this right ?

Anyway - don't worry soon as we all buy low Co2 cars they'll tax us heavily on cars which emit guess what - hi nox gases or some ****e.

I think I will just F*ck Off outa this place - getting fairly sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

It was probably 70% petrol before so whats the big deal?:pac:

anyway its not that black and white, a 520D may be cheaper but its still unaffordable for many, especially in current economic climate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

It'll also mean much less money for the councils.PreJuly, i would think that 1.4 cars to be the most popular.(300e around to tax for a year)Now, the diesel versions of all these cars will be bought instead of them.(The majority will be paying just 150e a year in tax)/That means a cut of 50% for the councils on the most common types of cars.It WONT last

• Advertisement

I agree with Zonda.
    It will not last........the greens policies don't make money to run the country.......the COST money like this vrt re-alignment.
    I give it another 24 months and we can expect changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mondeo wrote: »
    Thats why diesal is more expensive then petrol because everyone will be going for a diesal now...Garages have it all figured out ha.

So diesel is getting dearer in every country because we changed our tax system? Wow that must mean we control the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

This is all a result of people voting for FF and the Greens....its some mess

actually .. if you didn't vote for FF the Greens would have gotten into government via the alternative.

That said, they may get this money back in the form of the "carbon tax"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

RobAMerc wrote: »
    these clowns f*cked eveything else in the country up what made you think they'd get this right ?

Anyway - don't worry soon as we all buy low Co2 cars they'll tax us heavily on cars which emit guess what - hi nox gases or some ****e.

I'm also quite tempted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I really hate John Gormley....I think he's a <SNIP> who should be locked up on heracy charge....

I hope he makes a right **** up of this and gets fired....

Any man who thinks he can change the weather should be taken out and left in a smoking shed for a week and see how he gets on........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I give it another 24 months and we can expect changes.
    I'd say it will be corrected by the budget this December. Unless SIMI can stave it off as the car trade is dead on its feet and many are worried the average punter will wait until Jan 1 2009 to buy that new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The average punter with a 3 bedroom semi will be in negative equity by the 1st of January...they won't get finance on a packet of jelly beans let alone a new car...

I reckon they only way there going to stimulate the new car market is drop the price of vrt and fuel....oh and bring back petrol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 moleyC

To compensate for the lost revenue they might decide to really make the polluter pay, ie tax fuel, and while doing that they might discover that per liter burned diesel puts out ~13% more CO2 so it will be taxed higher making it very bad for diesel owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Gormley, credit where credit is due has made the only move ever in reducing VRT and making it a choice where it's emissions based and not CC based.

I think alot of people are under the impression that the road tax on their current pre 2008 car goes up or down from tomorrow.

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Gormley, credit where credit is due has made the only move ever in reducing VRT and making it a choice where it's emissions based and not CC based.

I think alot of people are under the impression that the road tax on their current pre 2008 car goes up or down from tomorrow.

Credit where credit is due?
    He's killed the CAR SALES industry and has put jobs on the line?
    FFS....open yer eyes Tipsy?!!!?!?>!?>!?>!:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Credit where credit is due?
    He's killed the CAR SALES industry and has put jobs on the line?
    FFS....open yer eyes Tipsy?!!!?!?>!?>!?>!:eek::eek:
    In fairness he has hashed it up. U-turns (on road tax), delaying things, etc. One wonders what the fcuk they were doing during the so called consultation period.

The changes should have been anounced in the budget in December and implememented on Jan 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hold on a second...!!
    What the hell are you lot on about..??
    For as long as I can remember everyone and their cousin in this country was bitchin about "VRT " Crippling Road Tax"
    Get real guys
    Enjoy it while you can.. We could be all dead in a years time..:D

Vectra, it changes nothing for many - as the real cars i and many people want to drive now are more to VRT, tax etc.
    So, WTF are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

moleyC wrote: »
    To compensate for the lost revenue they might decide to really make the polluter pay, ie tax fuel, and while doing that they might discover that per litre burned diesel puts out ~13% more CO2 so it will be taxed higher making it very bad for diesel owners.

Time they did. We shouldn't be subsidising a fuel that is much worse for our health. They already tax diesel at 6 cent less per litre than petrol. Clearly that won't last.

The latest direct injection petrols get much closer to diesels on CO2, and of course don't pollute as much of the bad stuff as diesel thanks to the EU letting diesels pollute much more NOx than petrols. They do unfortunately pollute PM, though unlike diesels which pollute it all the time, they only pollute it when they are in economy mode.

Ultra low sulphur petrol not only reduces NOx but much more importantly PM as well.

• Advertisement

There will certainly be job losses in the car industry but i feel that these are more due to the current economic climate rather than the tax changes.Dont get me wrong, the tax changes will contribute to it alright.I even heard stories of people not even bothering servicing their cars these days FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

RobAMerc wrote: »

I 100% F*cking agree with you. I am getting out of here, I 'm already looking for a small house in spain to relocate my business too and I'm gonna enjoy motoring life alot cheaper then over here....

Vectra, it changes nothing for many - as the real cars i and many people want to drive now are more to VRT, tax etc.

Define " Real Car " ??

If you and many other WANT to drive those cars then Tough $hit.. Thats your choice. :rolleyes:

I have had Petrol guzzlers all my life.
    Now I jump on the bandwagon and am enjoying this new system so why cant everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

So what you mean is it doesnt suit YOU, therefore is automatically bad.

Stekelly wrote: »
    So what you mean is it doesnt suit YOU, therefore is automatically bad.

+1 :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

There are loads of quality cars out there - from the Golf GTI to a 535d to a TTS with DSG which will be cheaper from tomorrow. I, for one fail to see how this is a bad thing. Even Porsche 911 owners can save money as once the latest models with direct injection will escape €2k road tax and get into the €1k tax band, meaning that it will be €491 cheaper on tax a year than before. The Boxster and Cayman will even get into 28% VRT and €600 road tax in a few months time thanks to direct injection too.

How is this a bad thing:confused:?

The clearout of Irish special 1.4 and 1.6 petrols in the Focus and Mondeo classes respectively is also good news. The only concern I have is that we are all going to have to breathe in sh1ttier air and are more likely to die thanks to Gormley's efforts to get us all driving paraffin stoves.

Ironically in Germany diesel sales dipped down to 44.5% last month. They were 47% at the start of the year, and were up to 49.4% at one stage last year. Germans have no great love for diesel; they were only buying it cause it was cheaper in recent times to do so. I don't know why anyone would choose diesel over petrol if it wasn't for the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Posted this yesterday in the VRT calculation thread but may be more appropriate here:

Jetfire hits on an important point here which I haven't really seen addressed. The govt have openly said that they expect the VRT changes to be revenue neutral, i.e. total tax take to be unaffected as VRT drops should be cancelled out by rises. As reported here, however, many manufacturers have slashed their list prices to remain competitive, even where models should have risen (eg. Mercedes). Even if sales continued at normal levels, this would lead to a decreased VRT take. Couple this with the massive drop in new car sales we've seen this year (due to economic circumstances IMO - not VRT confusion) and the government are facing a massive VRT (and VAT) shortfall below their projections.

They ain't gonna sit idly by while this happens!

I would strongly expect the VRT rates to be overhauled in December's budget - and not in favour of car purchasers. Naturally, a fig leaf of environmentalism will be used to disguise it. The 'bargains' that are currently available in the new car market may not be quite as attractive come January....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Stekelly wrote: »
    So diesel is getting dearer in every country because we changed our tax system? Wow that must mean we control the world.

Yeah, there's a lot of BS about what a shambles the country is now the **** has hit the fan. The spiralling cost of diesel is a Europe-wide issue. I'm not worried about it - for now...

The cars that 90% of people buy - small petrol and medium/big diesels - have had their VRT slashed tho. I think the government seriously misjudged and there will be 're-alignment'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

They cannot change bands in the Dec 08 budget. The earliest they can surely change vrt bands in the budget in Dec 09??? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Any man who thinks he can change the weather should be taken out and left in a smoking shed for a week and see how he gets on........

I like that.

As an endangered motorist, this is a rotten little rock to be stuck on for sure and when they go at it, they only make it worse.

They'll save a fortune in investment in public transport when we're all at home on the dole.

Advertisement