Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New VRT system shambles...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Stekelly wrote: »
    So what you mean is it doesnt suit YOU, therefore is automatically bad.

Hi Stekelly,
    Well, it does and it does'nt. I have a buiness so i have a business vehicle for weekday work so i will enjoy the new regime tax changes for the changing od my work car.....I'll buy a low co2 one and will enjoy the benefits.

But then for the weekends, i have a sports car - and thats when the new regime does'nt suit me and many of my fellow club members. There are lots of people being discommoded by these changes - we all don't have to agree on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i doubt they will change them, they left them alone for decades before this

they just tax fuel some more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Hi Stekelly,
    Well, it does and it does'nt. I have a buiness so i have a business vehicle for weekday work so i will enjoy the new regime tax changes for the changing od my work car.....I'll buy a low co2 one and will enjoy the benefits.

But then for the weekends, i have a sports car - and thats when the new regime does'nt suit me and many of my fellow club members. There are lots of people being discommoded by these changes - we all don't have to agree on them.

Yeah but your original comment that the new rules were detrimental to those, like you, who wanted to buy 'real' cars was a bit churlish & elitist. As has been pointed out, there are plenty of nice (really nice!) cars - both petrol and diesel - that will benefit from the changes. It's all about playing the system and it's much easier to do that now than in the bad old CC-based VRT days.

With the new rules a bit of smart buying means 90% of people can probably buy into a nicer car - a more powerful diesel or one of the more efficent petrol models the Germans have been so quick to get to market.

If a few pencil-mickies feel their life isn't complete without a V8, V12, Mustang or TVR - well that's their tough **** (and their choice). In the grand scheme of things efficency is being rewarded - better than the arbitry old system we had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fair to say the timing couldn't have been worse if they'd tried.

Mike.

pbruns wrote;
    If a few pencil-mickies feel their life isn't complete without a V8, V12, Mustang or TVR - well that's their tough **** (and their choice). In the grand scheme of things efficency is being rewarded - better than the arbitry old system we had.[/quote]

Pencil mickie's? - pburn's, watch what your saying here..........As i'm not going to stoop to your immature low and call you a "wimp or a tree hugging wimp" for having a puney c02 friendly car" for example.

LOL

also, all this new co2 rating stuff means nothing if you go to trade and they give you 5 grand less for your trade in and the car your buying is 5 grand less of list price. Its the "cost to change" thats important in trading - and if its not changing inline with the new regime - there are no savings.......unless you're buying straight for cash.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Fair to say the timing couldn't have been worse if they'd tried.

Mike.

+1

now was not the time to execute this change - with a massive slowdown on the countrys hands. This is the kind of green policy that could and maybe will TANK this countries economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Hi Stekelly,

If you already have the sports car then how does your situation change? It will be on the old system forever!!

Riskymove wrote: »
    If you already have the sports car then how does your situation change? It will be on the old system forever!!

sure...but its if i want to change my sports car for a newer model etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 bones36

just baught an 05 a4 avant sline 2.0 tdi in from UK. 158grm/km c02

met a nice girl in navan vrt office who told me it would cost €5504 vrt, so i plodded down to the bank and got a draft made up for said sum, only to return and meet a middle age dodgy perm lady spawned of the third reich who asked me had it alloys,met paint,sat nav,leather and demanded an inspection. after ins, she sent me away and said she would re-assess the figure and ring me tomorrow. i was raging to say the least, she made me feel like a criminal and was totally ignorant. The revenue vrt calc is bulls**t. (buyer beware). its just a rip. why dont they have these extras listed on site if there so concerned about them (stealt tax). i explained that sline has alloys and met paint and was incorparated in my vrt calc allready, she said it didn,t matter and would be extra. cleaner emitting cars my ars*. the govenment dont give a sh** about the enviroment, niether do john gormless and his bunch of plastic green policy pushers.

im really PIS**D off with dis country and always expect to be dissapointed when dealing with official public sector departments.

At dis moment id buy a second hand range rover and leave it running with a block on the excellarator outside gov buildings ( if i could afford to).

aghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

bones36 wrote: »
    just baught an 05 a4 avant sline 2.0 tdi in from UK. 158grm/km c02

met a nice girl in navan vrt office who told me it would cost €5504 vrt, so i plodded down to the bank and got a draft made up for said sum, only to return and meet a middle age dodgy perm lady spawned of the third reich who asked me had it alloys,met paint,sat nav,leather and demanded an inspection. after ins, she sent me away and said she would re-assess the figure and ring me tomorrow. i was raging to say the least, she made me feel like a criminal and was totally ignorant. The revenue vrt calc is bulls**t. (buyer beware). its just a rip. why dont they have these extras listed on site if there so concerned about them (stealt tax). i explained that sline has alloys and met paint and was incorparated in my vrt calc allready, she said it didn,t matter and would be extra. cleaner emitting cars my ars*. the govenment dont give a sh** about the enviroment, niether do john gormless and his bunch of plastic green policy pushers.

im really PIS**D off with dis country and always expect to be dissapointed when dealing with official public sector departments.

At dis moment id buy a second hand range rover and leave it running with a block on the excellarator outside gov buildings ( if i could afford to).

aghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thats totally unfair.You should be charged VRT based on the standard UK spec of an S-Line A4.I'd kick up a good bit of fuss to make sure you are only charged the basic amount, no more(Assuming there are no extras)

• Advertisement

Why not elude to going public on this matter to the press and radio. Tell them you have contacts in the media who'd love this story. I did this once and it worked for me. That may change their tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

You could try going through the appeal format. It may or may not work but, it's better than nothing.

Although I'm surprised you were asked all these questions about it because in Tallaght, they had no intentions of looking at any cars. I could've had a jacuzzi and a few plasma screens in my car for all they knew and they didn't bother checking.

But your right though, bit ridiculous with all the 'green this, green that' crap and then you get shafted for alloys... I'd love to know what people think when they move to this country and find out all the bullsh1t stuff that we've got.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The new VRT calculator has been modified to generate more money, I've been tracking one particular car (mine) and the open market selling value 2 weeks ago was 14,400 now the open market selling value has risen to 18,900

I don't see how a second hand car can appricate €4,500 in 2 weeks in a recession...

The revenue are thieves plain and simple....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

E92 wrote: »
    There are loads of quality cars out there - from the Golf GTI to a 535d to a TTS with DSG which will be cheaper from tomorrow. I, for one fail to see how this is a bad thing. Even Porsche 911 owners can save money as once the latest models with direct injection will escape €2k road tax and get into the €1k tax band, meaning that it will be €491 cheaper on tax a year than before. The Boxster and Cayman will even get into 28% VRT and €600 road tax in a few months time thanks to direct injection too.

How is this a bad thing:confused:?

The clearout of Irish special 1.4 and 1.6 petrols in the Focus and Mondeo classes respectively is also good news. The only concern I have is that we are all going to have to breathe in sh1ttier air and are more likely to die thanks to Gormley's efforts to get us all driving paraffin stoves.

Ironically in Germany diesel sales dipped down to 44.5% last month. They were 47% at the start of the year, and were up to 49.4% at one stage last year. Germans have no great love for diesel; they were only buying it cause it was cheaper in recent times to do so. I don't know why anyone would choose diesel over petrol if it wasn't for the cost.

Hi

Could someone explain this to me please, I'm currently in the middle of buying a Cayman S from the UK. Have there been things changed that mean I'll be paying less VRT on the the car?

Thanks for any help.

p.

in a word no

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Cyrus wrote: »
    in a word no

Or in two word: **** no !!

Nope, you're going to get hammered - an extra 4% on VRT iirc, and that's based on new, higher OMSP prices as well...........so god knows how much that works out to.......

What age Cayman are you looking at? If it's 08 onwards, new or used, you'll also be paying 2k p.a. road tax.

I hope you think it's worth it - as P car man myself, I think it's a bridge too far.........

Mind you, there's 1 (or 2) iirc, for sale in Galway - are you sure it's still saving anything to bring one in ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

The New VRT system is the worst thing that has happened for motor enthusiasts in this country since the introduction of VRT itself

VRT was originally introduced when there was maybe 1 car per family, and there wasn't that many cars on the road at the time either. It was a quick buck for the government which at the time was handy to have but they didn't REALLY need as the money generated wasn't very substantial. It's changed from being that to be a major part of the revenue, and the government absolutely need it.

And now we have Oul Johnny come along and throw another spanner in the works with this VRT change.

The new system makes absolutely no sense.
    Example: I decide to be good to the environment and leave my gas guzzler at home and take the train to work. (I only drive on the weekends, and at that only for maybe 3-4 hours in total )
    while another person sits for 3 hours each day in Dublin traffic 5 days a week in there mildly Eco friendly car, and even though they put out WAY more CO2 per week than I do, I am penalized.

there is no logic to it at all, given the system is designed to reduce CO2 output!

Given the fact that a lot of Diesel priced cars have come down in price. the only REAL savings are being made on top end cars that only the very wealthy can afford. Another case of the Rich Getting Richer.

And even at that a Diesel will never be as much fun to drive as a petrol car. any real enthusiasts will agree with me.

A lot of people are saying that everyone is going to be driving around in a BMW Diesel. well I've got news for you... most people still cannot afford them especially in the current economic climate. I think what we will see is instead of people buying a 1.6 Focus (which is what they could have afforded originally)... they will opt for the 1.4 which believe me "Wouldn't pull the knickers off a Brazzer". I'm sure this trend is becoming very common.

Also the Car importers are being hit hard. The Likes of Jap Cars, Per4mance Cars etc. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were out of business this time next year.

Anyone who wants to own a new performance car now is going to be hit VERY VERY Hard. I was seriously considering bringing in an EVO X at some point in the future, but €2000 tax on a car that would only be used on the weekends it outrageous. considering the Tax for a 2L was approx €560

And Lastly anyone who thinks they can change the weather needs their head examined. And how can one little country like Ireland make a difference. I would imagine we account for less than 0.05% of all CO2 produced. Its an absolute Joke.

The solution... leave this dump... which I plan to unless things change very Very Quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

grahambo wrote: »
    I think what we will see is instead of people buying a 1.6 Focus (which is what they could have afforded originally)... they will opt for the 1.4 which believe me "Wouldn't pull the knickers off a Brazzer". I'm sure this trend is becoming very common.

No, under the new system, the more efficient Focus diesels will sell. A 1.8 TDci costs only €600 more than a 1.4 petrol.
    The solution... leave this dump

Ciao ciao!

galwaytt wrote: »
    Or in two word: **** no !!

Nope, you're going to get hammered - an extra 4% on VRT iirc, and that's based on new, higher OMSP prices as well...........so god knows how much that works out to.......

What age Cayman are you looking at? If it's 08 onwards, new or used, you'll also be paying 2k p.a. road tax.

I hope you think it's worth it - as P car man myself, I think it's a bridge too far.........

Mind you, there's 1 (or 2) iirc, for sale in Galway - are you sure it's still saving anything to bring one in ?

Thanks for the info, for the record its a 2007 Cayman S, shed loads of extras (including the Ceramic brakes) for €36,300. Even with the duty its about €62,000 landed which is close to €20,000 cheaper than here. I couldn't belive the price difference myself.

Hammertime wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, for the record its a 2007 Cayman S, shed loads of extras (including the Ceramic brakes) for €36,300. Even with the duty its about €62,000 landed which is close to €20,000 cheaper than here. I couldn't belive the price difference myself.

is that the going rate over there or an exceptional deal? looking at one for my next car hopefully :)

congrats!:cool:

• Advertisement

Hi Cyrus, (excepting the ceramic brakes) it seems to be about the going rate from what I can see, I've definitely got a good deal though, once the dealer figured I had no trade in and was a clean cash buyer his eyes lit up. I got him to cut just over £3400 off the asking price.

super, i demand pics when you get it :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Zube wrote: »
    No, under the new system, the more efficient Focus diesels will sell. A 1.8 TDci costs only €600 more than a 1.4 petrol....

It actually costs less.

A Style model 1.4 petrol (80bhp) costs €20610 whereas an identical spec 1.8 TDCI turbo diesel (115bhp) costs €20575.

The diesel will have vastly superior performance, economy (40mpg vs 60mpg) and will incur annual road tax of €150 (band B) whereas the petrol will cost €430.

e&oe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

It actually costs less.

My bad, I was believing Carzone there.

This makes it even clearer that grahambo is wrong, and that no-one will be buying 1.4l Focusessseses any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 MouthPiece

Everyone should just cop on, get up and F**k off out of the country because it is a complete and utter sh*t hole. Leave it to the seagulls.

Dump of a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Zube wrote: »
    My bad, I was believing Carzone there.

This makes it even clearer that grahambo is wrong, and that no-one will be buying 1.4l Focusessseses any more.

I Take your point on the focus but my point was supposed to be a bit more general than that.

there are cars out there that were obtainable (Just) but the new system has changed all that.

And FYI not everyone wants to drive a diesel. Even with more horses under the bonnet they are sluggish. I was driving a 1.8 Diesel Megane I think it was 100-110bhp (correct me if I'm wrong, was back in 01 I think) It had a good top speed but took a while to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

ITS ALL THE GREENS FAULT !
    Although I blame all the little D4 heads who thought it was trendy to vote green and give that clown Gormley a Mandate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Darsad wrote: »
    Although I blame all the little D4 heads who thought it was trendy to vote green and give that clown Gormley a Mandate.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I still fail to see how the new VRT system is such a 'shambles' for the vast majority of people. As has been pointed out a 1.8TDCi Focus is now a more sensible buy than a weedy 1.4. Same is true against all the best selling cars - underpowered 1.6 Avensis or nice, torquey diesel.

There are more people benefiting than suffering under the new system. In fact I think the government miscalculated and were unintentionally TOO generous, not expecting new car buyers to have as many options for lower CO2 cars so soon. There will likely be 're-alignments' in future budgets - increases in VRT and road tax for each of the bands. It also partly explains the seemingly panicy increases in OMSPs for imports.

I can see the point that a Cayman S covering less than 8000 miles a year will emit fewer emissions than a sale rep's Jetta TDI. But the vast majority of people need their car as part of their job or to get to work. Listening to this persistant bleating from a small bunch of sports/supercar aspirants with city pads who want to benefit from the happy coincidence of their supposedly low-CO2-emitting lifestyles is nauseating, myopic, selfish and not a little elitist.

• Advertisement

pburns wrote: »
    I can see the point that a Cayman S covering less than 8000 miles a year will emit fewer emissions than a sale rep's Jetta TDI. But the vast majority of people need their car as part of their job or to get to work. Listening to this persistant bleating from a small bunch of sports/supercar aspirants with city pads who want to benefit from the happy coincidence of their supposedly low-CO2-emitting lifestyles is nauseating, myopic, selfish and not a little elitist.

i find your post nauseating, myopic and selfish

i couldnt care less with the vast majority of people need or do, the point is the system as it stands is not equitable and not proportional, if the aim is the tax the polluter then that is what they should do,

whats your problem, you come across as very bitter

Advertisement