Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New VRT system shambles...

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Great thread,

Good to see the lads bicker as well as the girls.

Anyway

My tupence;

The concept of vehicle tax being administered solely on the price of petrol is sound. He who uses more, pays more.

The unfortunate reality is that this would break people.

Complete unfounded generalisation based on Dublin next;

The people who have been forced to live out in God-help-us locations around the pale who have to commute to various industrial estates around the city and offices in the city can barely afford to as it is.

They are not serviced by the public transport that they should be serviced by, and poor planning and sprawl has led to this.

The way I see it,

- the new VRT system, once established will incentivise people to buy less polluting and generally more efficient vehicles.

- a tax by-useage system 'only'; will hurt the least well off

- everyone else who's cribbing is doing so out of self-interest

of course the system is somewhat inequitable, but that's life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

chump wrote: »

- a tax by-useage system 'only'; will hurt the least well off

just like VAT then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Cyrus wrote: »
    if reading is an issue try this

http://www.nala.ie/

some good courses for you there

here is is again, ill break it up

I am not championing anything,

the minister for the envrionment said he was changing the vrt/tax regime to tax the polluter, that was/is his agenda,

im arguing,

and i am correct in my argument

that it is not the case,

this is indisputable.

what is the original aim of the tax changes? to stop people importing high performance cars? i thought it was to reduce co2 emissions?

Well maybe a full stop or two wouldn't have gone astray. Thanks for that though...real class...

I guess that old joke about Porsches and porcupines can be appended to include drivers of M3s (that's me giving back the high moral ground. You can keep it:P)
    Zube wrote: »
    Well, grahambo, if you had put you gripe more directly early on, I think everyone would have entirely agreed with you:

1) As motorists, we are getting shafted
    2) Certain other countries are not as bad
    3) The new VRT scheme has hit some high performance cars hard
    4) It's not a carbon tax.

No argument from me on any of those points.

+1, nice synopsis.

There is a fair bit of hyperbole about how hard performance cars are hit alright. You'd think the way some of the guys are going on here that it was some sort of humanitarian crisis.

@grahambo - a cry from the heart but really wailing about the cost of an Evo (or whatever) and threatening to leave the country because of it shows a serious lack of perspective to say the least. Also, without getting too mawkish, it is pretty pathetic when compared to the generations of economic migrants who had to leave this country in the not-too-distant pass for mere survival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Ah, but the EU love VAT, becuase they get a slice of all the VAT collected EU wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

just like VAT then

The VAT system is far from perfect, but it is *meant* to be a tax on luxury items.

(I appreciate this is not quite the reality)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Well Im amazed at the constant use of the word pollution in this thread.Im sure it has been debated to death elsewhere but Id just like to chip in (as a Chemistry graduate ...)CO2 is NOT pollution.The whole concept of human CO2 causing Global Warming (note capitals as this is the new religion for the 21st century) is utterly spurious ....If they were that serious about it theyd ban sports if not any physical activity that caused you to breathe faster thus producing more CO2!And what about water vapour !!!???Every first year secondary school student knows it is colder on a clear night because the clouds keep in the heat ....so why not kick up such a stink about H2O -because everybody knows what that is but CO2 ....?...mmmm...and then they talk about Carbon (Footprints/Taxes etc)to confuse Joe Public even more .
    All this stuff would be funny if it didnt impact on people in the real world's lives...Im terrified that they will introduce 100% of all motor tax on fuel or God forbid pay per mile (km) systems as are being mooted in the UK .I drive about 120km a day and it would be unthinkable to have to pay anything like some of the figures being thrown around .....In Britain they have suggested a pound a mile as not being out of the question ....Even a Euro a mile would be horrendous ...
    Its sad to see all of this unfolding before our very eyes ...Is there anything can be done about it -before driving becomes the preserve of the wealthy only ...Hardly 10 years ago many young, average people would have been lucky to have their first car by the time they reached 30 -thats certainly changed but with the downturn in the economy and anti car policies (toll bridge fee gone up 50% overnight unless you 'invest' in an electronic tag -petrol going through the roof etc etc )its likely that the number of under 20s driving around will plummet .Certainly the number of young guys (n girls) in the likes of Starlet Turbos etc will drop dramatically and we will see a return to the pathetic modded Micras scene ...Having sucked the pleasure out of motoring with Penalty Points,Traffic Corps,NCT etc etc they now want to deny us cars completely...

pburns wrote: »
    Well maybe a full stop or two wouldn't have gone astray. Thanks for that though...real class...

I guess that old joke about Porsches and porcupines can be appended to include drivers of M3s (that's me giving back the high moral ground. You can keep it:P)

well when replying to a gentleman like you one has to tailor ones retorts to suit the situation ;)

rather be a ,<SNIP> in an m3 (you should have just came out with it) than stuck in a rattley diesel legacy just to avail of low road tax :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Having sucked the pleasure out of motoring with Penalty Points,Traffic Corps,NCT etc etc they now want to deny us cars completely...

I fail to see what Penalty Points, a Traffic Corps and the NCT have to do with driving pleasure. The fewer drunk, mad drivers in unsafe cars are on the road, the more I'll enjoy my motoring.

ytareh wrote: »
    Well Im amazed at the constant use of the word pollution in this thread.Im sure it has been debated to death elsewhere but Id just like to chip in (as a Chemistry graduate ...)CO2 is NOT pollution.The whole concept of human CO2 causing Global Warming (note capitals as this is the new religion for the 21st century) is utterly spurious ....If they were that serious about it theyd ban sports if not any physical activity that caused you to breathe faster thus producing more CO2!And what about water vapour !!!???Every first year secondary school student knows it is colder on a clear night because the clouds keep in the heat ....so why not kick up such a stink about H2O -because everybody knows what that is but CO2 ....?...mmmm...and then they talk about Carbon (Footprints/Taxes etc)to confuse Joe Public even more .
    All this stuff would be funny if it didnt impact on people in the real world's lives...Im terrified that they will introduce 100% of all motor tax on fuel or God forbid pay per mile (km) systems as are being mooted in the UK .I drive about 120km a day and it would be unthinkable to have to pay anything like some of the figures being thrown around .....In Britain they have suggested a pound a mile as not being out of the question ....Even a Euro a mile would be horrendous ...
    Its sad to see all of this unfolding before our very eyes ...Is there anything can be done about it -before driving becomes the preserve of the wealthy only ...Hardly 10 years ago many young, average people would have been lucky to have their first car by the time they reached 30 -thats certainly changed but with the downturn in the economy and anti car policies (toll bridge fee gone up 50% overnight unless you 'invest' in an electronic tag -petrol going through the roof etc etc )its likely that the number of under 20s driving around will plummet .Certainly the number of young guys (n girls) in the likes of Starlet Turbos etc will drop dramatically and we will see a return to the pathetic modded Micras scene ...Having sucked the pleasure out of motoring with Penalty Points,Traffic Corps,NCT etc etc they now want to deny us cars completely...

totally agree with you on the whole co2, pollution global warming etc

but most people swallow it, so the govt will tax it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

AudiChris wrote: »

As a weekend user of a high-emissions car, you're not the target, just an innocent bystander, but they're not going to change the rules to suit the small minority of weekend drivers when they're trying to change the buying habits of an entire country.

Classic car owners seem to have the rules changed to suit them, so there is a precident.

And for the holier than though posters on here, who bought a new car based on the emissions, how long do you really think that these bands and prices are going to last?

The tax take is gone into the toilet - taxing a small % of the cars on the road 2k is going to bring in no money - It's the bread and butter drivers who are going to get it up the wazoo, so enjoy the low road tax while you can!

I'm sure the people paying 2k a year who are getting no sympathy now, will be very understanding of the plight of these owners then :)

The bands - they will be a-changing - in the interests of the environment of course...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

cancan wrote: »
    The bands - they will be a-changing - in the interests of the environment of course...

I dont think so. I think there will be % increases on tax and on fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Classic car owners seem to have the rules changed to suit them, so there is a precident.

The rules weren't changed for classics or commercials afaik. Importing of classic cars into the state is a pretty niche concern, and the government went for the easy win.

The fact that they concentrated on CO2 rather than Nox, that they haven't bothered to make DPFs compulsory, that there's no momentum to make ESP compulsory on new cars and that there's no complexity in the legislation to cater for the low mileage, high-polluter instances demonstrates this.

If they want to get rid of the classics that aren't really classics (i.e. older cars), they can do another scrappage scheme. That was very effective.

Again, they're trying to affect the buying habits of the entire country. Classic cars and weekend performance drivers are small fish compared to the goal of getting the mass populace out of SUVs.

And for the holier than though posters on here, who bought a new car based on the emissions, how long do you really think that these bands and prices are going to last?

The tax take is gone into the toilet - taxing a small % of the cars on the road 2k is going to bring in no money - It's the bread and butter drivers who are going to get it up the wazoo, so enjoy the low road tax while you can!

I'm sure the people paying 2k a year who are getting no sympathy now, will be very understanding of the plight of these owners then :)

I'll absolutely guarantee that either the bands will be squeezed down or the VRT percentages squeezed up over the next few years - as manufacturers decrease the CO2 emissions (the new A6 has 15% lower emissions over the current model).
    I'd also expect the tax on fuel to go up.

I don't see them closing the gap between the A and G bands, the strategy has proven too effective to scrap. You'll see €100 turn into €125 and then €150, but I'd also expect €2,000 to creep up too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

well when replying to a gentleman like you one has to tailor ones retorts to suit the situation ;)

rather be a <SNIP> in an m3 (you should have just came out with it) than stuck in a rattley diesel legacy just to avail of low road tax :p

I think you're a <SNIP>
    You think I'm a <SNIP>.

Whatever...things have gotten a bit juvenile here today. Time to move on...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Lads edit the personal insults before the mods come along with the banning wand or close the thread:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

You have to give the government credit.

The irish motorist never complains, and continiously gets it from all angles.

Fire a few usless civil servants to save a few bob - you couldn't do that - the union would go nuts.

"Why don't we just put the road tax up and make a few bob - those eejiits never complain".

Job done...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Lads edit the personal insults before the mods come along with the banning wand or close the thread:mad:

<SNIP>'d instead ...now behave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

There is a fair bit of hyperbole about how hard performance cars are hit alright. You'd think the way some of the guys are going on here that it was some sort of humanitarian crisis.

@grahambo - a cry from the heart but really wailing about the cost of an Evo (or whatever) and threatening to leave the country because of it shows a serious lack of perspective to say the least.

Explain to me how moving out of the country for a higher standard of living (which includes a better Car) is pathetic. And if you can explain that, then please explain to me why I should stay? I'm not bogged down with kids and a mortgage and I'm young.

There are lots of reasons why I want to leave but VRT/Green Taxation would be up there on the top of my list.
    Also, without getting too mawkish, it is pretty pathetic when compared to the generations of economic migrants who had to leave this country in the not-too-distant past for mere survival.

That was then..
    This is now...

Things are completely different

Advertisement