Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automated backups on dedicated server

Options
  • 30-06-2008 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a windows tool / unix command that will allow us to automatically setup a backup routine for a dedicated server?

Something that pulls down a database and backups to a remote machine up all files would be ideal.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

What about adding a cron job to do a db dump and scp it to the remote machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

You've lost me already. I'm not a *NIX head but I can give it a good hack. Can you point me in the right direction?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Something like:
    mysqldump -h localhost DATABASE > DATABASE.sql | scp DATABASE.sql user@remoteip:/home/user

It's probably not right but something along those lines should work.

• Subscribers Posts: 78 ✭✭minttea

If you are looking for a place to store your backups you should definitely have a look at amazons S3 service:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=16427261

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If the servers are both *nix you can probably find scripts that will take dumps of databases and compress them for you before rsyncing / scping them to another machine

I'd recommend you look into rsync - though you'd want to compress the data before copying it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

rsync works well for me, although I manually initiate the backup - I'm using cygwin on a windows machine to incrementally back up a VPS in the US. You'll still have to do the mysqldump first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

squibs wrote: »
    rsync works well for me, although I manually initiate the backup - I'm using cygwin on a windows machine to incrementally back up a VPS in the US. You'll still have to do the mysqldump first.
    Just setup a cronjob - problem solved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I use rsync in conjuction with bqbackup.com.

Nice and reliable.

Advertisement