Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

FBD - Insurer of written-off cars!

Options
  • 30-06-2008 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭

Thought i'd share a story with you about my recent experiences with my insurer, FBD. I've been with them for 5 years, holding a comprehensive policy with full bonus protection. On 23rd May last, my gf was hit by a driver who ran a stop sign, writing off my 2001 Forester S turbo. The other driver admitted full liability to the Guards, AXA (his insurerer) have accepted full liability. FBD gave me a rental car for a week thereafter, up to the 1st June. I called them on the 24th June to insure the new Forester, a 2008 2.5XT. They wanted €1,200 for the year, and €19 till renewal (11th July). I asked them why they wanted €19, seeing as the policy had been suspended for the previous 3 weeks - turns out they had still been insuring the dead Forester which they had paid out on. When I asked why they had continued to insure a car which they knew to be no longer mine (or indeed driveable), they said it was up to me to tell them to take the car off cover, and flatly refused to refund me! I then rang Hibernian and got full cover from 11th July for €575pa..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

insurance companies have us over a barrel. its ridiculous. i got a quote for 990 euro for a scrapheap of avensis. long story short i told them the car was not worth as much as it was last year i have 1 years no cliams etc etc. they said they gave me a discount for the ncb but as for the value of the car insurance adminstartion has gone up in price hence the crap premium. i have had 4 years on company car previous no claims or points and i still find this premium quite high.

also the gf just found out about 3 weeks ago that she or her sisters were not insured to drive their mothers car( they all drive it quite frequently) due to a mistake on their part. so they still paid the premiums but when they asked for refund of the money seeing that they were never insured they refused. it only came to light when another sister was put down .what would have happened there if there was an accident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Martron wrote: »
    it only came to light when another sister was put down

:eek::eek::eek:
    horses and dogs maybe.... bit rough to put the sister down... did she break her leg or something ??:rolleyes:

nah broken finger nail ha ha. put down as a named driver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Martron wrote: »
    also the gf just found out about 3 weeks ago that she or her sisters were not insured to drive their mothers car( they all drive it quite frequently) due to a mistake on their part. so they still paid the premiums but when they asked for refund of the money seeing that they were never insured they refused. it only came to light when another sister was put down .what would have happened there if there was an accident

Most companies have a driving of other cars extension on the policy which means that once you have a full licence you can drive any other car that you do not own third party only. That's what would have happened there.

How do you know that the insurance premium that was being paid was for your gf's mother, your gf and your gf's sisters? The insurance premium might have just been for the mother on her own.

• Advertisement
Advertisement