Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bath - Tiling versus bath panels

Options
  • 30-06-2008 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Am just about to start a house extension which involves moving and building the bathroom from scratch.
    Want to incorporate both a shower and a bath.
    Thing is - sick to death of looking at bath panels and was going to go with the option of putting the bath on a raised (6 inch) platform and possibly tiling the platform and the bath sides instead of using bath panels. Has anybody tried something like this, if so any tips or things to avoid? Hope my description makes sense!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ajoebloggs

dont forget to leave access to the taps

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

We have this done at home. I did all the prep work for the tiler as follows. Made a panel to fit the side of the bath from 6mm ply. Cut the front 400-ish mm off so its 2 separate panels (length of 2 or 3 tiles so joint line matches up). Stiffened the back of these with 50x25mm battens (framed all round and then studs at appropriate spacings). Fixed both sercurely to wall/floor/anything suitable. Tiler just tiled straight onto this. If we ever need access under the bath to the taps, we can just cut out 1 grout joint and remove the small panel, and replace afterwards with 1 joint to re-do. Looks way classier than it sounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

masseyno9 wrote: »
    We have this done at home. I did all the prep work for the tiler as follows. Made a panel to fit the side of the bath from 6mm ply. Cut the front 400-ish mm off so its 2 separate panels (length of 2 or 3 tiles so joint line matches up). Stiffened the back of these with 50x25mm battens (framed all round and then studs at appropriate spacings). Fixed both sercurely to wall/floor/anything suitable. Tiler just tiled straight onto this. If we ever need access under the bath to the taps, we can just cut out 1 grout joint and remove the small panel, and replace afterwards with 1 joint to re-do. Looks way classier than it sounds!

I think it always looks better tiled than having a bath panel, the only problem is the access.

will you not have to remove tiles to get at the taps if ever there is a need?

or have you screws and caps on the tiles?

Edit. actually i know how you did it now :) the panel you have to remove is basically the sixe of one of the tiles you used?

a good way of doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Curio

Thanks Masseyno9. That should work a treat. It was the access I was concerned about as well. One final question - did you raise the bath at all or leave it at gound level? Still trying to figure out if its worth putting it on a slightly raised platform or am I just introducing an accident waiting to happen! I've seen it done where the 'step' to the bath is tiled, the platform is tiled as it the bath side. It looked good but probably isnt very practical.

Advertisement