Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automatic thread/picture re-sizing

Options
  • 30-06-2008 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭

Hi CuLT,

Saw this on another forum and thought it'd be a handy feature for here. Basically, it seems to wrap text/pictures to a certain size to maintain a certain thread width.

For example

This pulls the width of the thread way out and the size of the picture is massive.

However, if you have a look at this you'll see it compresses the picture size into link that when clicked opens a separate window displaying just the image, and the text is wrapped to fit into the determined thread width.

They recently upgraded and are on the same version of VBulletin that we are, so it could just be a case of switching something on?

Rb

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That would be a very handy feature actually. Might just be a plugin or a hack or something. Hopefully it's easy to add as I would love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Its javascript code that does it. Could hack something up on Greasemonkey. Just don't have the time at the mo. If someone wants to do it.

1. look for all elements of post_message_*.
    2. Look for IMG tags within those.
    3. Add Width/height sizes. Maybe a mouseover code to restore size.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

They have this on thumped.com. The admin Pete, has an account here and I think knows some of the admins?

Maybe he'd throw you the code?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It'd be a nice feature to have. Threads can look messy and difficult to read with huge pics thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Meh its late and I give up. This is a greasemonkey script that will shrink images which aren't normally part of the page. The toggle bit doesn't work and I can't be bothered at this time to fix.

So if someone one else wants to have a bash.

FILENAME: boardsie_imgthumb.user.js
    // boards.ie 
    // This will turn images into thumbnails and have them resize on mouse click.
    //
    // ==UserScript==
    // @name          Boards.ie Convert images to thumbnails.
    // @namespace     BOARDS.IE
    // @description   Converts images to thumbnails.
    // @include       http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php*
    // @include       http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php*
    // @exclude       
    // ==/UserScript==

// This is size divided by ... 1.25 = 1/4 1.5 = 1/2 (I think :)
    var thumbnail = {
    		"width"		:	1.75,
    		"height"	: 1.75
    };

var ignore = new Array();
    		ignore[0] = /\/static\.boards\.ie\//;
    		ignore[1] = /customavatars\//;
    		ignore[2] = /images\/ranks\//;
    		ignore[3] = /images\/smilies\/pacman.gif/;
    		ignore[4] = /images\/arrow_down.gif/;
    		ignore[5] = /fogra\.boards\.ie/;

var img = document.images // array notation

for (var i = 0; i < img.length; i++) { 
    		var found = false;

// Check to see if it is an image I should ignore. 
    		for (var j = 0; j < ignore.length ; j++ ) { 
    			var src = img[i].src;

if (src.match(ignore[j])) {
    				found = true;
    				break;					
    			}
    		}

if (!found) { 

img[i].setAttribute("oldwidth", img[i].width);
    			img[i].setAttribute("oldheight", img[i].height);
    			img[i].width = img[i].width / thumbnail.width;
    			img[i].height = img[i].height / thumbnail.height;	

setEvent(img[i]);
    		}
    }

function setEvent(obj) { 
    	if (obj.addEventListener) {
    		obj.addEventListener ("click",toggle,false);
    	} 
    	else if (obj.attachEvent) {
    		obj.attachEvent ("click",toggle);

} 
    	else {
    		obj.onclick = toggle;
    	}
    }

function toggle() { 
    	GM_log(this.width);
    	GM_log(this.oldwidth);
    	var swap; 
    	swap 			= width;
    	width 		= oldwidth;
    	oldwidth 	= swap;

swap			= height;
    	height		= oldheight;
    	oldheight	= swap;
    }

In case people are wondering, you install greasemonkey extension for firefox then make a file called as above and put that text into it (filename above is important). After that just drag and drop the file onto firefox to install.

You can use this thread for testing.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055326230

I'd also recommend if someone wants to get fancy check out this.
    http://www.agilepartners.com/blog/2005/12/07/iphoto-image-resizing-using-javascript/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Cheers Hobbes, wouldn't know where to start with it though.

Fwiw, this is how it appears on the other forum, it's under "Options" in the UserCP. It appears as though it's just a matter of switching something on? I hadn't seen this part before posting the thread but it looks like it's just part of vB?

defaultsizingsr4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Rb wrote: »
    Cheers Hobbes, wouldn't know where to start with it though.

Fwiw, this is how it appears on the other forum, it's under "Options" in the UserCP. It appears as though it's just a matter of switching something on? I hadn't seen this part before posting the thread but it looks like it's just part of vB?

defaultsizingsr4.png

That would be an installed 3rd party plugin that alters templates to add those options to the end user.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=176531&highlight=resizing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Would this break slydice? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

kaimera wrote: »
    Would this break slydice? :(
    If anything it'd probably make slydice easier to browse given the size of some of the images.
    Spankeh wrote:
    That would be an installed 3rd party plugin that alters templates to add those options to the end user.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...light=resizing

Ah cool so it's a package that's ready to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Yeah it would be nice to see this implemented indeed. And kaimera, it wouldn't really break it, the hi res thread would be far easier to browse though, and at least you can just click to see the images you want to see in high res :)

Poor Hobbes, all that work :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Any chance of giving this a go again? For simpletons like me that has no idea how to resize image before posting and I want everyone to see my lovely new earrings I purchased today on the Latest Purchases thread in F&A. :)

Thanks.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement